TomTom Safety Lock

jjcip

:
Mazda CX-5
Just received my 2013 Mazda CX-5. Love it. Have a question on the TomTom navigation unit that came with it. Can you disable the safety lock? Safety Lock Enabled appears on the screen when you begin to move. It would be nice to access all functions of the screen especially POI's while moving.

yeah it would be nice if it would unlock if the car senses someone in pax seat so they can at least input manual address or whatever, but not do it if there is only a driver up front for safety purposes

yeah it would be nice if it would unlock if the car senses someone in pax seat so they can at least input manual address or whatever, but not do it if there is only a driver up front for safety purposes

Good call stromdriver!

The CX-5 monitors all seats at the moment. It's a rear pain for me with i-stop and a baby seat because sometimes the baby seat touches the middle back seat and rattles on to me that the middle passenger is missing their seatbelt. As punishment, it then disables i-Stop.

So it should also be smart enough to allow the passenger to input....

....or pause the input so that it can be continued.

Good call stromdriver!

The CX-5 monitors all seats at the moment. It's a rear pain for me with i-stop and a baby seat because sometimes the baby seat touches the middle back seat and rattles on to me that the middle passenger is missing their seatbelt. As punishment, it then disables i-Stop.

So it should also be smart enough to allow the passenger to input....

....or pause the input so that it can be continued.

thanks, but i'm afraid thats too 'advanced' of a feature for tomtom....

Unlike the portable TomTom units, there is no option in the "Safety" settings to disable this feature, most likely because the driver or a passenger can always use voice commands to enter an address, which is very distracting for the driver to do by having to make multiple touchscreen presses. And while we all think we'll never be the ones who will have an accident by doing this, my guess is that Mazda and/or TomTom would prefer to avoid lawsuits brought by drivers, passengers or third-party victims who claim that the companies should be liable for allowing this safety feature to be overridden. Common sense tells us that smoking while fillling your gas tank is utterly stupid and dangerous but service stations still provide warnings on and around the gas pumps because some people don't believe in personal responsibility. Frankly, I'm surprised that the safety override is available on the portable devices.

The safety override should be available on this as well, as others have noted in other threads the voice recognition is utter crap. The also have the prompt at the beginning that would eliminate their liability in a law suit. So unless there is an update to make the voice recognition better, they need to make a way to disable it instead of having to come to a stop.

Unlike the portable TomTom units, there is no option in the "Safety" settings to disable this feature, most likely because the driver or a passenger can always use voice commands to enter an address,

that would be all well and good if not for the fact that the tomtom voice commands are complete s****...

I haven't experienced any major issues with the voice commands but admit that I haven't used it extensively. Still, it's been better than my Genesis nav, which requires you to say individual numbers, each of which the robo-voice has to confirm before proceeding. By the time you finish entering and confirming the address, you're already past your destination! I agree that the override would be nice, at least for passengers to be able to enter the commands, and was merely speculating as to why Mazda and/or TomTom elected to omit it.

I haven't experienced any major issues with the voice commands but admit that I haven't used it extensively. Still, it's been better than my Genesis nav, which requires you to say individual numbers, each of which the robo-voice has to confirm before proceeding. By the time you finish entering and confirming the address, you're already past your destination! I agree that the override would be nice, at least for passengers to be able to enter the commands, and was merely speculating as to why Mazda and/or TomTom elected to omit it.

try it, you'll be screaming in no time lol its absolutely horrendous as i stated in the thread i started about it, almost making the tomtom completely worthless to me, my evo with google nav does the job an order of magnitude better

Also, the voice command feature is also disabled during stop and go driving. It's infuriating to continually have to start over your driving navigation. That seems more dangerous than being able to complete the input the first time around.

Also, the voice command feature is also disabled during stop and go driving. It's infuriating to continually have to start over your driving navigation. That seems more dangerous than being able to complete the input the first time around.

+1,000

The implementation of the "safety lock" is an abomination. Hopefully a future firmware update can correct it (I've had one update so far, but no luck there).

MAZDA, please change the safety lock feature so that it does NOT interrupt voice commands with "safety lock enabled". Stop and go driving is when you need voice control most.

The safety lock for voice command is fixed. It was fixed a few months ago. Update your software

I just bought a 2015 CX-5 GT with the TomTom navigation. Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution to disable the safety lock?

Regarding the safety lock, it seems to be linked directly to the unit's GPS. Has anyone tried wiring in a temporary disconnect switch for the GPS antennae to overcome the safety lock? I know it'll take the unit a block or so to pick your location back up, but I can't think of any other way to get around the lock.

Update the TomTom software via the SD card. The safety lock will only restrict some functions at speed.

I have a new CX-5 with the built-in navigation system. My "Safety Lock" only engages for the first two seconds of motion after a stop; then (even while moving), I can operate all touch functions of the screen. Is this not how everyone's works? Seems like a minor inconvenience. - JP

Lucky you! I have 2015 GT and most of the touch screen navigation locks up when I go faster than about 5 mph. It doesn't unlock again until I come to a stop. This is how it's supposed to work according to the manual, but it's irritating like heck.

JPaul, have you done the map update or had anything added to the car? I did do the map update (& now I'm wondering I I shouldn't have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can use all the touch screens on my 2015 GT but cannot type anything on the keyboard while moving. I wish there was a dedicated microphone button that is available so I can ask it specifics. It's laughable the types of things it thinks I say.

Back