Mazda CX-5 sales numbers

March 2012: 3,629 in the U.S. 1,649 in Canada. 8,000 from mid Feb to mid March in Japan and diesel accounts for 73%.

That sales figure for Japan is quite impressive, although it's well known that new vehicles in Japan tend to do very well early on and then fall off sharply.

Last edited:
Those are terrible numbers, but they're probably constrained by availability. There are still only a few CX-5s at each dealer in my neck of the woods and only 31 within 50 miles of my zip code (according to Mazda USA website).

I've yet to see one on the road.

I agree that availability may be the reason for the relatively low sales in the U.S. to date but check out this article today from Edmunds.com. In March the CX-5 had the third best "days to turn" (11) of all vehicles in the U.S., that is, on average the vehicle only stays on the lot for 11 days before being sold. So, it remains to be seen whether it will continue to be a hot seller once it becomes more readily available but it's certainly doing well for now.

http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/analysis/quick-whats-the-fastest-selling-car-in-america.html

I think the sales figure for February in Australia was 850. We are roughly 1/15th the size of the US in population to put this figure into perspective.

Mazda said they expected 80% Petrol and 20% Diesel sales (similar to Japan's expectation of 90% Petrol sales). The actual sales are reversed though, with 80% of sales being Diesel.

My dealer said they're having issues getting rid of the Petrol stock, but Diesel orders are already pushed out to August.

I think with all non US/Canada markets predominantly choosing the Diesel over the Petrol, it will hopefully have a knock on effect and Mazda will be able to push the excess Petrol stocks over to the US/Canada instead.

I have only seen one other CX-5 on the road so far here, but my dealer said when they delivered mine (3 weeks ago) that most if not all of their first shipment of about ~8 was already sold with more on the way. I have to call them soon for a few thing so I'll make sure to ask how sales are going ;)

I think with all non US/Canada markets predominantly choosing the Diesel over the Petrol, it will hopefully have a knock on effect and Mazda will be able to push the excess Petrol stocks over to the US/Canada instead.

Or/and hopefully convince Mazda to try bringing the diesel over here earlier with all those sales in other countries.

I have only seen one other CX-5 on the road so far here

You'll see more. If I remember correctly, Canada has the highest ownership per capita of Mazda's anywhere in the world. The way things are going in Australia, we're catching (Mazda 3 was highest selling vehicle here last year with Mazda being the highest sold pure importer in Australia - I dare say figures that are replicated in Canada).

Or/and hopefully convince Mazda to try bringing the diesel over here earlier with all those sales in other countries.

It will happen eventually. But with the fuel economy most are getting on the Petrol, it looks like it's a bloody awesome purchase.

where did you get "8000" number in Japan from? I was browsing Mazda's press release section and found this:

[Domestic sales of key models in February 2012]
Mazda2 (Demio): 5,905 units (up 13.6% year-on-year)
AZ-Wagon: 2,791 units (up 32.8% year-on-year)
Mazda3 (Axela): 1,742 units (up 11.5% year-on-year)
CX-5: 684 units

more here:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2012/201203/120329a.html

p.s. looks like maybe sales just started in late february there? hence only 684 sold... will be interesting to see March numbers

Last edited:
You'll see more. If I remember correctly, Canada has the highest ownership per capita of Mazda's anywhere in the world. The way things are going in Australia, we're catching (Mazda 3 was highest selling vehicle here last year with Mazda being the highest sold pure importer in Australia - I dare say figures that are replicated in Canada).

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but at least here in my city and neighborhood Mazdas are very much everywhere, mostly Mazda3s but all models are well represented, and I live in a not so large city.

It will happen eventually. But with the fuel economy most are getting on the Petrol, it looks like it's a bloody awesome purchase.

That will be interesting to see...

Last edited:
where did you get "8000" number in Japan from? I was browsing Mazda's press release section and found this:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2012/201203/120315a.html

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation today has announced that since its sales launch in Japan on February 16, 2012 orders for the all-new Mazda CX-5 reached approximately 8,000 units as of March 14. The result is more than 8 times the monthly sales target of 1,000 units.

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but at least here in my city and neighborhood Mazdas are very much everywhere, mostly Mazda3s but all models are well represented, and I live in a not so large city.

My brother-in-law comes from BC. Visiting his family, I noted Mazda's everywhere. It was obvious.
In my mind, I thought there was only one city I've been to where I saw a greater number of Mazda's on the road.... Hiroshima :)

April 2012: 3,521 units sold in the U.S.

Obviously CR-V and Escape are the volume sellers in the segment. Is CX-5 production limited? I think it could easily sells 6-7K.

Both local dealers in heart of Silicon Valley are sold out of CX-5's. Inventory at all Bay Area dealerships is very low. Strangely I've only see one other CX-5 on the road since I bought mine in mid-March. Given the inventory turns at local dealerships, I expect to see plenty soon.

I see at least 2 to 3 per day. But at that rate in Sydney, it means that Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Aston Martins are more common.

Won't take long though. They've sold triple the expected rate.

Why are Mazda sales so low (per capita) in the US compared with Canada and Australia (which are similar markets).
I'd expect more CX-5 sales too.

This article says it all:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/05/top-10-underappreciated-cars-and-trucks.html

Top 10 Underappreciated Cars and Trucks (US Article)

Mazdas

Which one? Virtually all of them. Throughout Mazda's U.S. history, some models have been originals and some have been versions of Fords, but almost all have underperformed despite delivering on the company's fun-to-drive claims. The RX-7, compact 323 and Protg were favorites of ours, as is their successor, the Mazda3. The midsize Mazda6 sedan, which was adapted to create the Ford Fusion, saw one-seventh of the Ford's sales in 2011. We'd also take a Mazda2 over the related Ford Fiesta. Wake up, America!

The underperformed refers to sales - not actual performance.

Why are Mazda sales so low (per capita) in the US compared with Canada and Australia (which are similar markets).

I'm starting to see a few here. 5 in the last few days with one of them being an obvious test drive, and that is only during my daily commutes/errands so far, so there is maybe/probably more out there here when I'm not on the road and I live in a city of about 50k. I'm actually not too much surprised about this here but it took a little while to see them, probably supply and demand

Last edited:

You just don't see a lot of ads here for Mazda stuff. They usually run something when a new model comes out, and then it all fades away. There aren't that many dealers, and most of them are smaller than dealers from major brands.

Mazdas also tend to be perceived as underpowered and uncomfortable. Most Americans will take a Rav4 with a V6 over a CX-5. So what if the Rav4 cries the moment you show it a curvy road? We don't have a lot of those here. Plus, the theory that you can avoid a crash by accelerating is popular.

Back