Front defrost and rear defrost buttons

Zipnick

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting the CX-5 GT with Tech package, and I was wondering about one thing I've seen on the dash. In the video below, you can see "front defrost" and "rear defrost" buttons around 17min10s :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcH6G2awq2A&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Are these standard and what do they do? Is the front defrost a windshield/wiper defroster? I sure would love that during the winter... Or, maybe "rear" is for the rear glass and "front" is for the side mirror heaters? For reference, on my 2009 Corolla, there is one "defrost" button activating both the rear window and side mirror heaters.

I would love to know, since it is not clear what the "front defrost" button does from the Mazda website and dealership...

Thanks!
Zipnick

The front defrost uses the windscreen aircon vents (works very quickly). The rear defrost is the traditional in-window electric warmer.

Thanks inodes. So I assume that the "front windscreen vents" function is not included in the "Mode" buttons (with up and down arrows)? This is where I would expect to find that function (front windscreen vent defrost) on a Toyota.

Thanks inodes. So I assume that the "front windscreen vents" function is not included in the "Mode" buttons (with up and down arrows)? This is where I would expect to find that function (front windscreen vent defrost) on a Toyota.

They've separated it so that you can use it in addition to the mode up/down.
There are two buttons in an identical position to mode up/down. The top is front windscreen, the bottom is back windscreen.

Mazda typically design the buttons to be in close reach of the driver and must be able to be operated without looking at where the buttons are (after you are familar with where they are placed).

It's a very ergonomic placement.

Found something else out this morning. My rear needed defrosting because of a cold morning. I put the rear defroster on as per usual, the glass cleared. The defroster then turned off automatically.

I have to read the manual regarding this.
Either it was on a timer (which I've never had on any other vehicle), or something else determined it to be turned off.

Further to this (for non North American customers), turning on the front demister will temporarily disable i-Stop.

Found something else out this morning. My rear needed defrosting because of a cold morning. I put the rear defroster on as per usual, the glass cleared. The defroster then turned off automatically.

I have to read the manual regarding this.
Either it was on a timer (which I've never had on any other vehicle), or something else determined it to be turned off.

Further to this (for non North American customers), turning on the front demister will temporarily disable i-Stop.

The rear defroster turns off automatically after 15 minutes. My Mazda3 also did this and I think most cars have this behavior over here.

Most defrosters have timers. This is something you would use everyday for several months here in Qubec, and it sometimes takes more than one 15-minutes cycle to get the job done, with snow and ice!

Back