TomTom GPS Live Services in Mazda CX-5

jeremyb

:
Mazda CX-5GT w/ Tech Package
So, per the manual I took the SD card out of my CX5 and plugged it into my computer to get me my "Free One-time" map update. Honestly the voice recognition on this GPS sucks so baddy I'll take any update and pray it improves things.

Anywho.. I Updated the application and maps, then I noticed they're trying to sell me "Tom Tom Live", which pulls the latest Traffic and Google Local Search via your cell phone data plan.. pretty sweet.. except when I try to "Enable" this feature it says its not supported on my device..

So according to TomTom there are two versions of the CX5 Navigation system, one that supports Live, and another that doesn't.. Anyone have any information on this, the only mention I can find in the "Navigation Manual" is "This feature is only supported on Live Devices" Is this upgradable?

http://automotive.tomtom.com/mazda-navigation-system-nb1
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/product...da-navigation-system-nb1-live/#tab:highlights

FYI: After installing the latest application release to your SD card plug it into your car, then press the navigation button (FYI: this can take a minute or two), ignore the onscreen advice on your computer screen, otherwise you'll get stuck in an endless loop reinstalling the app to the SD card.

Last edited:
Not sure... but doesn't it depend on whether the service is avaible in various countries and if TomTom has paid to access/use it? I say this becasue I have been following a German discussion forum (using Google Translate!)and someone from Austria was saying (if I got the gist correct) they didn't have it available on their CX5 sat nav, but TomTom told this person it would soon be available once everything was organised with their (i.e. Austrian) system.

I think the best source of whether it's available is the TomTom site for each country. The UK website for example says clearly that it's available. Unfortunately the Australian version fails to mention Live Services at all. This is despite the fact that Live is offered in other Australian TomTom's such as the iPhone.

As a result, I somehow enabled Traffic but it doesn't work. It's in an endless loop trying to get traffic, but never gets anywhere because it needs internet access.

Can anyone provide screenshots as to how Traffic is supposed to work in a CX-5 that has traffic working?

Jeremyb, Your link takes you to the English page of the TomTom MB1 and under specifications which show live function and a 3 month trial. If you change the flag in the top right by clicking on the bottom of the page and select USA the live information goes away. If accurate, not good for US as we loose HD Traffic etc. There is also a difference in language support etc. After your update what is the version of your map on you unit and what version is your program?

Jeremyb, Your link takes you to the English page of the TomTom MB1 and under specifications which show live function and a 3 month trial. If you change the flag in the top right by clicking on the bottom of the page and select USA the live information goes away. If accurate, not good for US as we loose HD Traffic etc. There is also a difference in language support etc. After your update what is the version of your map on you unit and what version is your program?

Bummer, didn't even notice I was on the UK site.

Tom Tom Application Version: 10.814 (post update), 10.813 (pre-update)
USA Canada Map: 875.3844 (post update)

It seems that the US/Can versions do not have the Live services feature enabled. When updating the SD card on my mac, the option for Live services within the MyTomTom app is Greyed out. It says that the feature is not supported for the NB1...

But the funny thing is traffic, speed cam and construction updates have worked for me on a few planned trips...

As mentioned, if it is available it would be an extra monthly/yearly cost after a trial. I have the portable TT and haven't bothered with the live service. For some who are on the road a lot and/or meeting deadlines etc I can see its worth.

I live in the Atlanta area and by selecting Settings, Services, Traffic, Map I see traffic information. I don't know if it is HD or the FM feed but it is getting traffic data and displaying it...

The user manual for EU and USA are 2 different files, with the EU version containing the LIVE services while the US version only mentioning RDS-TMC traffic. The EU part number is KD81-79-EZX, and the US part number is KD37-79-EZX. So it would appear that the US version does support TMC traffic, but not the Live "HD" Traffic.

I'm assuming the TMC traffic is "lifetime" and you don't have to pay a fee, can anyone confirm ?

Mazda-EU-LIVE-RG-en-gb.pdf

Mazda-USA-NONLIVE-RG-en-us.pdf

Last edited:
I have owned TomTom devices with both TMC and Live traffic.

TMC:
1. Traffic info gets updated less frequently, so might not be very accurate. I have seen it report a delay when in fact the traffic has cleared up.
2. Only major highways are covered, smaller roads are not covered.
3. Works in more places.

HD Traffic:
1. Very accurate and updated more often. I noticed traffic on a 1/2 mile stretch on the opposite direction the other day and TomTom accurately showed slow traffic only for that stretch.
2. A lot of back roads are well covered.
3. Unfortunately you are without traffic coverage whenever there's no good cell coverage. I have seen this a lot and it's frustrating.

I wish TomTom would include both so that you are automatically switched to TMC in locations where there's no cell coverage.

Noted you can see when your GPS date was written at the Mazda factory.

Look in the file TOMTOMDISK/TomTom-Cfg/release.nfo
My car was manufactured 28/02/12 - but my GPS data was earlier (obviously)
But the GPS data was written 23/02/12

[ID]
LocalID = ['Fuji_liveEU_1024', 'Fuji_liveUS_1024', 'Fuji_nonconnected_1024']-None.None-7MI0.025.01.2.NB1_Mazda_Australia.SD
imageID = Australia-885.4099

[Image information]
Birthday = Thursday 23 February 2012, 22:29:08
Image type = SD 4GB
Item number = 7MI0.025.01.2
Item description = NB1_Mazda_Australia
Changelist = 869796
Map 1 name = Australia
Map 1 version = 885
Map 1 build = 4099

Wondering if anyone out there has Live and a Mac they update on and wondered if they can share their TomTom application for comparison.
(Wanted to see if there was a variation or a way to incorporate Live into the SD)

1. Run terminal
2. cd /Volumes
3. tar cvf ~/Desktop/tomtom.tar TOMTOMDISK
4. gzip ~/Desktop/tomtom.tar
5. Put tomtom.tar.gz on a Dropbox folder and sent me a PM

Never used Dropbox.... you can get an additional 500MB (+ 2GB) for free using this link: Inodes - Referral Link for Dropbox

Last edited:
I've had a CX-5 for about two months now, and the car itself is great I really enjoy driving the car. However I'm am very disappointed by the electronics specifically the GPS system, I have updated the SD card however the process and the software are not intuitive and very user unfriendly. As above I found when I finally got the latest software version and managed to avoid the looping software, TMC and Live traffic are no longer available. I have traffic on a basic Garmin system which works quite well. Ok so I can live without the live traffic, I then attempt to use voice command and the results that I get are nothing like what I have spoken. I know I might speak australian which may be a little different however I have not had this issue before to this degree using both TomTom and Garmin. So additionally I then find I cant put in a route unless I've stopped the car which means I can't even get a passenger to put in a route for me whilst in transit. Finally to round it off the screen decides to go blank from time to time, intermittently of course so that the service department can never find anything wrong.
My opinion is the GPS system in the CX-5 is seriously below standard and I'd rather put a replacement system in the car if there was one available that would interface with the in dash screen.

I agree having used factory fitted Nissan satnav since 2004, and also have a Garmin 1390T to compare against I honestly don't think the TT is worth the UK price of 600.

As a satnav the voice directions and updating is dire, and those conclusions were gathered from a 30 mile test drive using the TT for the route.

It lost the GPS lock, shown position on the road incorrectly, got me lost and had to redirect, gave instructions for the exit from a roundabout after i was leaving it, etc.

The graphics are also very crude, low resolution.

I class it as a budget system.

But if others are happy with it why not buy a 5" TT from amazon etc for around 100?

Had the car since June and Live Services have only worked for a couple of days recently, because there was new beta software released. Now the network details have totally disappeared. Over the last few months, nearly every module, sim card etc have been replaced. Mazda UK and Europe have been dealing with Tomtom and Vodafone and they (plus my Dealer Principal are fed up with Tomtom. BTW, Google 'search' has been replaced by Tomtoms own database

Hi, I'm shopping for cars, and it's going to be the CX-5 or the Honda CRV. One of the very few negatives for the Mazda is this Tom Tom nav. I'm praying the 2014 will have Garmin. I really want an in dash nav system, and from everything I'm reading about this TT, it's a mess. It could very well keep me from buying the Mazda.

Pokerstar,

I have no idea what the Nav unit is in CRV, but if you get a CX5 with the Nav unit as part of a package, then you will have a bit of a learning curve with it. I would not recommend buying it separately for a CX5 for the cost they charge. As a built in (package) the other items in the package more than offset the negatives for the Nav, but to me it seems like this is not TomTom's best effort at all. Is the NB1 useable? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. To me the worst thing is that the safety switch for it does not allow your passenger to program it when you are going down the road, but I have a feeling this will be standard soon anyway on most vehicles. I am hoping that Mazda will address this issue with an update for the voice recognition and other issues you have heard about, but we will see. I would also hope that Garmin would be available in 2014, but doubt it, if it is, I will buy one to swap out. Over all, I would get the CX5 again, and the package with Nav, everything else in the vehicle makes up for it in my opinion. Let us know what you purchase either way, and do a long test drive with both, that is what sold me on the CX5, the driving......

Pokerstar,

To me the worst thing is that the safety switch for it does not allow your passenger to program it when you are going down the road, but I have a feeling this will be standard soon anyway on most vehicles. I am hoping that Mazda will address this issue with an update for the voice recognition and other issues you have heard about, but we will see.

In the UK there is not that restriction and a route etc can be changed while travelling. In which case, you would think there is a hidden setting or software update that would enable this feature.

ReManG,

Thanks for the feedback. I just spoke to the Mazda dealer that Costco Autos is sending me to. He doesn't believe the 2014 is coming before March, and he also thinks they're sticking with TT since the new CX-9 and Mazda 6 that is arriving in Feb both have it. I spoke to a custom shop here, and he says he can't put in an in dash that it has to come from the factory. I'm also not happy that I'll have to pay for map updates on the TT. The Garmin in the Honda does not charge for updates or subscriptions.

I will be test driving this week and will report back.

Thank you.

Garmin or TT either one are only budget satnavs.

I would be happy with a CX-5 or CRV, having driven the CRV twice and the CX-5 3 times, but both cars were diesel.

Didn't get the chance to test the CRV sat nav, but the resolution of the screen looked ok, and the screen looked bigger than the TT's 5"+.

Back