IPhone 4s Integration

jpix

:
2013 cx5
I bought the GT w/ Tech and am very happy but I am having issues with both the Bluetooth and the iPod connectivity to my iPhone 4s - anyone else having issues? Wondering if there is a firmware issue that needs to be addressed

I bought the GT w/ Tech and am very happy but I am having issues with both the Bluetooth and the iPod connectivity to my iPhone 4s - anyone else having issues? Wondering if there is a firmware issue that needs to be addressed

I didn't have issue connecting my 4s. Just followed the steps and it connected fine. It's been working well for both audio playback and hands free calls. I did notice once this morning the audio playback started speeding up and skipping a little. It only happened once, then it was fine after I switched to FM and then back to Bluetooth. The other issue which seems to be a general iPhone issue is that the audio will start playing on the iPhone as soon as you get in, even though you are listening to the radio or CD. I have heard this to be a problem in other makes as well. This can potentially drain the iPhone battery very quickly. I have made it a habit to manually stop the audio on my phone as soon as I get in the car.

Thanks for the posts - part of the prob I have is expectations. I don't expect that there should be a need to go to FM radio and then back for things to work. Paid good money for the top of the line version of this vehicle and anticipate it work well.

Keep the feedback coming.

I note the speed up/skip issues as per "Blackhairredsox". This only occurs rarely. The playing automatically occurs if the bluetooth tab is selected previously.
I'm using the 4S as well.

So far, very impressed with the system.

Check the following if you have issues:

* Make sure phone is selected as a music player in bluetooth setup
* Playback is sometimes paused when connecting. Press playback on CX-5 screen.
* Although volume in car is up, if you have phone volume down you won't hear anything.

Last edited:
I only had one issue with my 4s and that was when i was trying to play music from Tuneln, or any other internet radio.

The fix was simple, on the bottom right corner there is the airplay sign, just make sure that the sound is playing from dock connector and not bluetooth.

Hope this may help someone.

Came across another couple of issues today - let me know if you have had similar issues:

1) listening to Slacker on via Bluetooth, made a call using Bluetooth, returned to audio and there was no music. Oly remedy I cold find was to switch to FM radio and then back to Bluetooth; although after doing this I was no longer able to see the sng/artist information.

2) volume on Bluetooth audio seems to be quite a bit lower than FM radio. If I listen to a song on the system at a loud volume and then switch over to FM there is a big jump in the volume.

Came across another couple of issues today - let me know if you have had similar issues:

I've had both.

1 - is most certainly a bug, and sometimes occurs when doing other things with the phone. It could be a general phone issue rather than car.
2. This is always going to happen regardless of phone/mp3 player or car.
It comes down to quality of the source mp3 versus quality of the FM signal. The greater wins (ensuring that iPhone volume is at max). This is even more exaggerated with digital radio because as long as you're receiving a signal that is strong enough to produce a sound, you will get a standard set volume. With analog radio, the weaker the FM signal, the lower the perceived volume would be.

Just noticed something interesting when I went for a drive just then. Plugging the iPhone into the USB jack allowed the iPhone to work in either Bluetooth mode (AirPlay set to "Mazda") or iPod mode (AirPlay set to "Dock Connector").

The iPod mode is far more useable in that it allows complete control of selecting Playlists, Artists, Songs, Albums etc.

Ok I'll ask the dumb question.... Does AirPlay show up once you have bluetooth connected? I don't use AirPlay at home so I have no experience with this little gem. My understanding AirPlay is that an icon should show up on the screen once a device that is compatible is in range - does the Bluetooth serve as that device?

Ok I'll ask the dumb question.... Does AirPlay show up once you have bluetooth connected? I don't use AirPlay at home so I have no experience with this little gem. My understanding AirPlay is that an icon should show up on the screen once a device that is compatible is in range - does the Bluetooth serve as that device?

Loosely using the AirPlay reference because the same icon comes up. It's really just a "destination" speaker. It works more or less the same as AirPlay, or an AirPort Express, or an Apple TV.... The user interface for the playing is the same.

To play Bluetooth, you have to have that setup previously and works whether connected to USB or not. But if you ARE connected to USB, the control on the iPhone is lost and all control goes to the screen (when "Mazda" as a "destination" is selected).
To play iPod, you have to connect to USB port (no Bluetooth required). Control is lost when connect and all control goes to the screen (when "Dock Connector" as a destination is selected).

The default when connecting the USB though is to pause the music. Make sure destination is correct for your selected tab (either iPod tab with Dock Connector destination, or Bluetooth tab with Mazda destination).

I think using the iPhone on USB is ideal because all control you ever need is on the main screen, an ability not possible with Bluetooth tab.

6921793938_88f4d55a77.jpg

6921795200_7154c8e521.jpg

7067875593_875ecf490f.jpg

Next thing I'm going to get is someone commenting on my selection of music for example..... bugger!

Last edited:
I have been having issues with the iPhone 4s too. At first I used it has BT audio device and then started mangling with the iPod connection since it seemed to offer better control. When I turned off the car and started again a few minutes later with the phone still hooked up to the iPod connector it seemed to be stucked on PAUSE, so I hit play, it restarted but with no sound at all. After switching to another audio mode and coming back I believe this is how I got it to start working again... I will try a few different combinations and post detailed information. Maybe it doesn't like being on BT and iPod at the same time, I will disable BT audio on the car stereo and see how that helps.

Otherwise I am pretty satisfied with the Phone integration and the hands free, I used to have a BT thing connected to my AUX on my VW and used SIRI for voice recognition, had to repeat phone numbers a few times before she got it right, but the CX-5 voice recognition understands me every time.

I tried the solution from inodes yesterday and it worked perfectly. However, when i got into the car this a.m. the audio system set up BlueTooth audio (pain in the A** that I have to do the set-up everytime I get in the vehicle). When I went to find the AirPlay icon it wouldn't allow me to select the dock. The solution I found was to go into BlueTooth setup, select my phone, and then deselect "Music Player" - this allows the IPOD to fully function again.

BUT... again when I turned the CX-5 off and then returned to the vehicle i have to go through the whole set-up again... Utterly painful... Anyone know if there is a way to set up the default so it never changes.

I have been using my 4s mainly to stream music via Bluetooth, either my music that's on the phone or thru Pandora. The metadata is VERY hit or miss, it drives me crazy!! I really like using my phone this way but wish it would consistently show up on the screen. Has anyone else experienced this? I called both Mazda and Apple but got nothing from them. I don't know if it could be my wifi being on or something with the phones location services. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

It isn't any better in iPod mode - unless you are listening to music that is stored on your phone I find the metadata to be very spotty. The manual says that it supports a number of iPhones but not the 4s so it may that is the issue

BUT... again when I turned the CX-5 off and then returned to the vehicle i have to go through the whole set-up again... Utterly painful... Anyone know if there is a way to set up the default so it never changes.

I am having same issue. But I have decided to use Bluetooth for short trips, or force the change of outputs if I am going for a longer trip.
I will see if there is an Apple solution to force it (I have access to Apple Developer forums).

I contacted Mazda today and they provided the following website that deals specifically with hands free/BlueTooth issues
www.mazdahandsfree.ca
There isn't a lot of information on the site but if you use the 'Contact Us' part of the web you can explain your issue and get feedback. If there a number of people providing their input then maybe they will fix the issues.

I contacted Mazda today and they provided the following website that deals specifically with hands free/BlueTooth issues
www.mazdahandsfree.ca
There isn't a lot of information on the site but if you use the 'Contact Us' part of the web you can explain your issue and get feedback. If there a number of people providing their input then maybe they will fix the issues.

I have been streaming with my iPhone 4S quite regularly in the last few days and I noticed that the metadata tended to show "unknown" when I started playing music before or not long after the system had synced call history/address book.

Started waiting about 3/4 minutes before playing via bluetooth and, so far, I have yet to see problems with metadata even when using Rdio instead of music stored on the phone.

The manual says that it supports a number of iPhones but not the 4s so it may that is the issue

The 4S is 100% supported. We have up to 3 x 4S's in our car and switch between them.

Back