i-DM must be somewhere in the computer

inodes

:
2012 Mazda CX-5 GT Diesel with Tech Pack
I stumbled across this when looking at photos of my display.

Look carefully at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/7050616983/in/photostream
7050616983_53bd86dbb9.jpg

You'll notice the i-DM feature exists in the display. This feature is available in Japanese spec cars only and provides signals to the driver to aid smooth driving:
http://www.cx-5.mazda.co.jp/driving/idm.html

I thought at first the Mazda was saving money by just including the same display in all cars, but then thought this couldn't be possible. The Japanese display is VERY different because it displays Japanese. Because the character sets of hiragana, katakana and kanjii are so complex, the Japanese display is simply a matrix of pixels.
Our roman alphabet and symbols don't require this complexity, so we get the simple digital clock style LED setup (clearly seen in photo)

idm_block01_pic_04.jpg

idm_block02_pic_02.jpg

I suspect that the US displays are exactly the same as mine. Anyone able to check and confirm.

Furthermore, anyone from any other countries able to use i-DM?

While I am at it, thought you might be interested to see diesel tacho and redline as they differ from petrol
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/6904523452/in/photostream
6904523452_37618618e0.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, I'll take a look at this tonight. I can't seem to see this right now but it may be due to glare.

Seems like I have the same display in mine. Picture ain't that good unfortunately, but you can see the i-DM portion.

idm.jpg

If the displays between Japan (because of complex characters) and rest of world differ, then I still can't see why it would be there unless it could be turned on by software.
Still searching for evidence either way.

If the displays between Japan (because of complex characters) and rest of world differ, then I still can't see why it would be there unless it could be turned on by software.
Still searching for evidence either way.

Maybe that's possible, like it was possible to enable the trip computer on some Mazda3s back in the day, even if the display was much simpler.

Damn cold outside where you are :)

Yeah, still pretty cold especially after the sun sets. It's not uncommon to have snow storms in April here, in fact I remember a big storm about three years ago just into the Easter weekend, but this year has been unusually warm enough that all the snow has already melted.

Yeah, still pretty cold especially after the sun sets. It's not uncommon to have snow storms in April here, in fact I remember a big storm about three years ago just into the Easter weekend, but this year has been unusually warm enough that all the snow has already melted.

Which part of Canada?

I wonder if there is more hidden functions like this that my indicate if i-DM or anything else can be enabled by software. This one seems to be for diagnostics only though. Accessible by holding the volume/power button and pressing seek forward as documented in the navigation install document.

failure-analysis.jpg

Which part of Canada?

Eastern Qubec, near Rimouski ;)

I wonder if there is more hidden functions like this that my indicate if i-DM or anything else can be enabled by software. This one seems to be for diagnostics only though. Accessible by holding the volume/power button and pressing seek forward as documented in the navigation install document.

View attachment 193069

Eastern Qubec, near Rimouski ;)

Thanks VK. I wonder if there are any other settings you can get to this way.
Ahh, much colder over there. My brother-in-law is from B.C. which I suppose is the milder part of the country.

Sorry to dig up a somewhat old thread but I just tried instrument cluster test mode on my CX-5, and it seems to be working just like it was on my Mazda 3. However, with this we can clearly see the "i-DM" portion of the display, but still no ways to activate it so far.

gtestmode.jpg
attachment.php

For those that would like to try test mode, hold the trip button then turn into accessory mode while still holding the trip button, when it says "Test" in the cluster display you can release the trip button. Pressing the trip button will cycles through the various test modes available.

For what its worth my 2010 mazda3 had an eco mode light. They add these things in if they think they ever might have them so they dont have to redesign the part.

Excellent work!

How do you turn into accessory mode though?

Press the start button twice (once to turn on the radio only, and twice for accessory mode) without depressing the brake pedal. Note that it should also work if you start the engine, but accessory mode is enough.

I just noticed this in my CX5 today. This is interesting because in my previous car, (07 Mazda 3) I did not have an MPG trip computer, but then an unlock was discovered by pressing a series of buttons on the radio while the key is in ACC/ON.

Maybe this can be done on the CX5 some how too!

From reading the translation of that page linked by the OP, it appears that I-DM is some sort of "game" to gauge your driving.

Back