Silly question maybe, but why is it called the 2013 model and not 2012 in the USA

and I think, when the model is totally new they can roll up the model year designation. This benefited me when i bought my 370Z as well..

I was going to ask exactly the same question!
The US certainly has it's own unique way for everything :)

Measurements - World uses metric, US uses imperial (UK is partway through conversion away from their own system)
Fuel Octanne - World uses RON, US uses AKI
Mobile phones - World uses standard frequencies, US uses alternate frequencies

There a lot of other examples. Travelled in and out of US possibly 12 odd times, and find it's always an interesting experience to travel there and find it always takes how it likes to take it's own unique path - almost as if international standards are there to be challenged.

Travelling to countries like Japan and Germany, there is no adjustment (apart form language) because the standards are basically the same. Especially so between Japan and Australia where swapping between the two in terms of driving is zero effort (apart from the fact they drive so slowly in Japan). Same side of road, same units, same fuel, same everything.... different language.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. Ours would just be called 'the new 2012 ...' or similar.

Thanks for all the answers. Ours would just be called 'the new 2012 ...' or similar.
Likewise for us. The build date is what counts for us. If it's February 2012 - then it's a 2012 vehicle.

The system was designed years ago to prevent massive loss of business around Christmas. Despite being big shopping season people did not (and in many countries still don't) buy cars in november and December to avoid having 'last year model' just after a month of so of ownership. So in US all cars officially change year designation in September. Sometimes, like in CX-5's case, when the car is completely new or when the manufacturer does not expect to do any changes over the course of the year the designation is moved up a little bit. So you actually should read it 'here is a model in specification in which it'll be produced at least till mid 2013. You should not expect any changes before 2014 model announcement'.

Kornik - very well answered. I understand completely, and it makes sense.

We used to get the same end of year sales issue as well. Now it's the period of time with the biggest sales (the "End of Year" sales). Car dealers will give you an excellent deal as long as you purchase cars with that years date of manufacture.
The result is that often, November and December are the biggest months for selling vehicles. Here we're fortunate in that it's also summer and most families have a break, and some often like a new vehicle with reliability to head away for summer.

In USA, any vehicle made after Jan 2nd, 2012 can be called the 2013 model
if the automaker chooses to.

Back