Blue Engine Coolant Light

iverson589

:
Mazda, CX-5 AWD GT Tech, Black Mica
Hey...

When i start my car after not using it for a day, the blue engine coolant light is always on. It goes away after i start driving a bit and the engine warms up, but i was wondering if everyone else was experiencing the same thing?

Also, when u start the engine, the engine is pretty loud, although it does get quieter after about 20 seconds,

Anyone else experience these two things? Just wondering if this is normal

The blue light indicate the Engine is still cool......When it gets up to temperature it goes out. Overheat will get the red indicator lit. (this is all in lieu of a temp gauge)

Start up noise is pretty normal on Emissions controlled direct injection engines. Perfectly normal

Last edited:
Sounds like it is a good time to crack open that owners manual or the quick start quide...

(drinks)

yah...i read the manual. i know it's because the engine coolant is cold...but i still wasn't used to having this kind of light on in a car before...so it threw me off a bit..

thanks everyone for your responses.

yah...i read the manual. i know it's because the engine coolant is cold...but i still wasn't used to having this kind of light on in a car before...so it threw me off a bit..

Yes, it is also strange for me having a "blue light" instead of a gauge.

Basically, there are 4 temperature indications.

1. BLUE temperature light means that your engine is below normal operating temperature,
2. NO temperature light means things are normal,
3. FLASHING RED temperature light means that engine is above operating temperature and you should pull over soon,
4. SOLID RED LIGHT means that you are overheated, and to pull over immediately.

With regards to the engine noise upon startup, the owners manual states this is due to a cold start emissions procedure.

I want a temperature and oil pressure gage.

Keep in mind, that most temp and pressure gauges in MOST cars are gauges in looks only. For the most part they are On/Off switches with a gauge read-out. On my GTI, which is similar to most cars these days, the temp gauge reads 190 degrees when the actual temps can range from 160 to 220. It's bogus. If you want real readouts, buy yourself a Scangauge and plug it into the OBD port for real numbers.. You can keep 4 measurements up at any one time...

IMG_1438-vi.jpg

Keep in mind, that most temp and pressure gauges in MOST cars are gauges in looks only. For the most part they are On/Off switches with a gauge read-out. On my GTI, which is similar to most cars these days, the temp gauge reads 190 degrees when the actual temps can range from 160 to 220. It's bogus. If you want real readouts, buy yourself a Scangauge and plug it into the OBD port for real numbers.. You can keep 4 measurements up at any one time...

IMG_1438-vi.jpg

I have had experience with the scangaugeII, and I like it. I would like something like this, but find myself looking to see if there is something better out there... Imagine an OBDII port with a bluetooth unit that sent the data to my smartphone?

Also, when u start the engine, the engine is pretty loud, although it does get quieter after about 20 seconds,

Anyone else experience these two things? Just wondering if this is normal

Start up noise is pretty normal on Emissions controlled direct injection engines. Perfectly normal

Glad to hear this is normal. After going from starting my quiet MZ3 to the loud start up of the CX-5, I was a bit worried something was wrong. The owners manual commented on the fuel pump making obvious noise, but that didn't explain the rev at start up. Thanks guys

My dealer mentioned that heating doesn't work when the light is still blue. Didn't have a chance to check it out yet, will report back in 7-8 months :)

^^^^^That's what the quick start guide says.

Being that is was 86 today I can't comment on the heater either.

Glad to hear this is normal. After going from starting my quiet MZ3 to the loud start up of the CX-5, I was a bit worried something was wrong. The owners manual commented on the fuel pump making obvious noise, but that didn't explain the rev at start up. Thanks guys

The engine sounds louder due to the exhaust valves are left open to heat the cat to normal operating temp with in 30 secs. After it is to temp, the valves open and close like normal. Explained to me buy the Mazda tech tht just had training on the cx-5. I had an issue with a vibration during that 30 secs if I were to put it in reverse and hold the brake. Turns out that a engine mount was out of alignment. Seems to be an issue as another cx-5's at the same dealer ship had the same issue. The vibration still happens but it does not vibrate as loud as before. After that 30 sec warm up, the cx-5 does not vibrate in reverse. Sales guys should relay these things when some one is buying a cx-5. It was not fun having a cx-5 with less than 200km vibrating like it was!!!

So how long do you have to wait for the blue coolant light to go out? Is it still safe to drive before the light goes out??

It might stay on for a couple of minutes till the engine warms up. That's normal. If it stays on for an extended amount of time after that then I would have it checked out.

Wow, interesting. The CX-5 certainly is loud for 30 seconds or so cold.

I actually miss the temp gauge. If the parameter can be read from the computer, why don't manufacturers give the option to read out the digital temp?

A few months ago my thermometer failed on my Mazda 3 and kept the coolent flow valve open. The temp gauge went from normal to cool and I saw the gauge fluctuate as I was driving. It allowed me to keep monitoring the temp of the engine which was kind of a relief ... with the CX5, all we have are colors which is still good, but a gauge would help, or a temp readout.

I too miss a real temp gauge and would gladly put it in place of the 120 to 160 mph space on the speedometer. To answer the main question. You may drive as soon as you wish while the blue coolant light is on. I usually drive easy until the light goes off however. Ed

Back