CX-5 reliability -- let's get better information ASAP

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to provide initial stats on new models sooner then track cars closely as they age.

Thanks in part to the help of Antoine and members of this forum, for which I'm very grateful, we've been providing reliability stats for many Mazda models (including the Protege5, which I drive) for years now. I'd love to do the same for the CX-5, just a matter of how soon enough owners get involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the CX-5, for free. I'll share results for the CX-5 in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

As someone who has filled out the data forms for my CX9, I find responding to TrueDelta surveys to be as painless and simple as any I have ever done. I especially like the upfront directions and links in the email that take you directly to where you need to be rather than dumping the respondent into some home page without good navigation. I also like that it is easy to check on the pooled data without jumping through hoops once you've entered the data update. I'd give feedback on how easy it is to record repair data but in two years I haven't had my CX9 into the shop except for oil changes so have had nothing to report. Keep it up, it is a valuable source of information to supplement car reviews and the larger but more difficult to interpret CR reports.

Thanks! Looks like we have eight owners signed up so far. More will be needed to provide stats, but this is a great start!

I signed up the day I traded our car in for the CX-5, and added it to the garage. I have been doing this for a few years, great resource.

Sorry, I've been away from all forums for a while, got buried in work for the site.

We have posted an initial result for the CX-5--hardly any repairs reported so far. We'll have a much more solid stat based on much more data in November. The more people participate, the more precise this stat will be.

Those of you who are already participating, thanks for making these stats possible. Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

Just some constructive criticism here, but this type of survey, based solely on personal initiative, I feel like may lead to at least partially skewed results, favoring particularly on the negative side. For example, consumers tend to voice their displeasure more often than voicing their satisfaction.

Anyway, when I get a chance, I'll register. It is still a neat resource.

I'm signing up for completely neutral reasons. So I'm doing my part to keep the results honest

Just some constructive criticism here, but this type of survey, based solely on personal initiative, I feel like may lead to at least partially skewed results, favoring particularly on the negative side. For example, consumers tend to voice their displeasure more often than voicing their satisfaction.

Anyway, when I get a chance, I'll register. It is still a neat resource.

This survey is structured very differently from others, requiring a response following each quarter even if there has been no repair. This seems to work, as we have quite a few models where over 90% of owners report no repairs.

Updated stat next month. Great involvement by CX-5 owners, but more is always better.

Car reliability research

Back