Rustproofing & Undercoating...is it necessary?

iverson589

:
Mazda, CX-5 AWD GT Tech, Black Mica
Hey...just picked up my new ride last Tuesday but i declined the rustproofing and undercoating at the dealers (it was $1498 +13%tax).

I was wondering whether I should still do rustproofing & undercoating for the new car somewhere else. I live in Toronto, Canada so there is quite a bit of snow/salt on the roads in the winter. But I've read many times that rustproofing/underwriting isn't really needed, especially nowadays when cars are built a lot better than they used to be. Frequent car washes and cleaning the underbody are sufficient.

I thought about doing Krown for rustproofing but supposedly they poke a few holes in the car, which would nullify the mazda preforation warranty...so, i'm hesitant to go down that route for now, maybe later on towards the end of the warranty period.

Thoughts anyone?

wow, that's a lot of cash! but i'd doing living in the great north! i wish i had done my p5! it's rusting away.... :(

I've had every car Krown rust proofed including the brand new cars in our family and if Mazda denies the perforation warranty krown has a much better one anyway. You own a mazda in the salt belt i would never drive one without having it rustproofed and undercoated in the winter..

I got the rustproofing done on my cx5, but it was part of the extended warranty.

I paid about 2500, for the warranty, 160K or 72 months. Bumper to bumper coverage.

Expensive but a good add on for resale value

is this a canadian option? don't recall any of the dealers here offering that.

I have a 2010 Mazda3 Sport and when I bought it new (early spring), I waited 6 months to buy from my dealership the rustproofing/undercoating option. This was an Amerigard product, and it cost me 500$ tx incl. The car is now guaranteed 10 years against perforation and corrosion. I had no other additionnal warranty whatsoever with the car.

The reason I waited 6 months to get it was that some people told me that new out-of-the-factory cars already have a "basic" coating for rust protection. If you apply any additionnal rustproofing too early, that not-so-worn-out basic coating may reduce the efficiency and adherence of the new coating because it doesn't properly stick to the metal.

Anyhow, I live in Quebec City, so winters are harsh and lots of salt is used here.. Getting it done once for a ten year warranty for 500$ is a lot less of a hassle than having it redone every year at you local mechanic for 75-100$, when things like bad smell and dripping happen every time. But since you're in Toronto, it could be less of an issue, since winters are milder (just a bit, I know :) )... Nonetheless, you have to take into account the corrosion warranty, peace of mind and the amount of time you want to keep the car. If you want to go for 10 years+, and the product warranty is solid, then why not? I know a car is not an investment, but if you can keep expenses down on the long run..

I know I don't regret my choice, and I find that it has, BY A SMALL AMOUNT, reduced road noise. I'd shop around Mazda dealerships to see if they have better prices, or wait until october/november.. Bref, my two cents!

The dealer here in Michigan is offering us rust proofing for $369 by itself. Its a lifetime warranty. They said they use a wax based protectant. Anyone else have experience with this? I'm not one for the deals very often but we will be keeping the car for awhile and $369 is cheap for a little piece of mind. I just don't want to damage the vehicle.

Not touching that stuff, but mine is a California vehicle. Main goal of selling that stuff is big profit-generation for dealership.

Does anyone have rust already occurring on the disc brakes and around that area?

I assume you mean rust on rotor, If so that would be considered normal and harmless.

My dealer here was offering me an "electronic device connected to the battery" as their guaranteed 10 year rustproofing. At first I thought this was an "added bonus" they installed along with traditional waxing or oiling but it does not seem to be the case after verification...

Quite frankly, from googling around and common sense, I'm not sure I trust those things even though they "guarantee" it for 10 years. Anyone has experience with these things ? Does that really work ?

I'll be sticking to traditional, and much less expensive, treatments in the meantime.

Personally I would stay away from all that stuff. The manufacturers have pretty good rust through warranties and the rustproofing they already have on their vehicles should be sufficient even in cold climates with lots of salt. I've read many articles on this stuff and they say it doesn't do much more than add a little soundproofing. Worse though it can clog drain holes in door panels which can actually cause water to accumulate. Plus it add weight to the vehilce which we all know does not enhance MPG. There used to be several chains in the U.S. that sold this but they have went out of business because the manufactures do such a good job.

I have had many cars in the Chicago area for 8-10 years and never had a rust problem. They use a lot of salt around here and I'm not anal about washing them either. I won't go as far as to say they are a scam but I really believe they are close to it. Save your money. There are many other things on the car that go bad before you ever see any rust. Keep in mind that as far as I know these "rustproofing" claims don't cover surface rust...just perforation and that is pretty darn rare now days even without any kind of aftermarket gunk applied. You need to decide for yourself but at least hear both sides.

i agree, save your sheckles, washing the car after storms and use of salt will prob do just as well as with the rust warranty from the dealer

i agree, save your sheckles, washing the car after storms and use of salt will prob do just as well as with the rust warranty from the dealer

Yup, thats what I do in the salt belt of chicagoland. $4 no touch carwash that washes the undercarrage a few times a month during winter = way cheaper than undercoating...and your car looks great afterwards too!

From what I've seen when looking under CX-5's, they don't seem to have a design flaw in the front or rear fenders, but knowing Mazda, I would rust proof it. Most things are not evident by just looking at the car. I did notice an undercoating in the front fenders.

It's expensive, but if you keep your car for 7 to 12 years, its definitely worth it.

Does anyone have rust already occurring on the disc brakes and around that area?

Has it gotten any worse? Rust has started forming on my rear callipers already, and there's 1 inch rust ring on the rear rotors - the area the brake pads don't cover.

Has it gotten any worse? Rust has started forming on my rear callipers already, and there's 1 inch rust ring on the rear rotors - the area the brake pads don't cover.

There is nothing wrong with surface rust. It is normal for all cars.

Back