Photos of a Few Installed Accessories

Alacoyote

:
2013 CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Package
Folks, here are up-close photos of a few accessories I recently installed. These are all DIY projects which don't require much in the way of tools. I would recommend purchasing an inexpensive set of plastic/nylon auto trim tools, which are handy for removing some plastic pop connectors/rivets and flattening the rubber weatherstrip on the moonroof deflector without damaging any surfaces. I found a set on sale at Harbor Freight for about $7. All told, it took me about 2-3 hours to install all of these, but I was taking my time and there was a bit of a learning curve, especially on the rear mud flaps. Definitely worth saving the $$$ dealers charge to install these items.

Hood Edge Deflector
IMG_1157.JPG
Front Mud Flap
IMG_1158.JPG
Rear Mud Flap
IMG_1159.JPG
Moonroof Deflector
IMG_1160.JPG
Moonroof Deflector (Interior View)
IMG_1164.JPG

Thanks for the pictures, the accessories are very nice looking indeed.

Does the moonroof deflector helps reducing the wind noise a lot ?

Any chance we could get a couple of profile pics with all the accessories on? I'd like to see how they change the appearance of the vehicle. Leaning toward your color when the diesel makes it here.

Can you take a full side view picture of your car? I am considering buying mud flaps off Ebay but want to see how they look with the body lines.

"Does the moonroof deflector help reduce the wind noise a lot?"

I can't say because I never drove it at highway speeds with the moonroof open before installing the deflector (my wife is the primary driver of the vehicle). However, both my wife and I have driven it with the moonroof open since installing the deflector and I didn't notice any issue with wind noise, so if it seems noisy to you now the deflector should help.​

"Any chance we could get a couple of profile pics with all the accessories on? I'd like to see how they change the appearance of the vehicle."
"Can you take a full side view picture of your car? I am considering buying mud flaps off Ebay but want to see how they look with the body lines."

Check my April 1st post in the Lounge & Welcome Area, "CX-5 Photos - Share Your Shots With Us" thread for some full-body pics. The OEM mud flaps are hardly noticeable unless you zoom in on them (as I did in the above photos) so they really don't change the look of the vehicle.​

Last edited:
"Does the moonroof deflector help reduce the wind noise a lot?"

I can't say because I never drove it at highway speeds with the moonroof open before installing the deflector (my wife is the primary driver of the vehicle). However, both my wife and I have driven it with the moonroof open since installing the deflector and I didn't notice any issue with wind noise, so if it seems noisy to you now the deflector should help.​

[/INDENT]

On wind noise, I've noticed the car is much quieter with the spring loaded deflector in the DOWN position at speed. My wife and I played with this on a recent road trip. I'm gonna work up something to keep it from deploying as I don't like the looks of the bolt on wind deflector, though it does seem to solve the problem..

On wind noise, I've noticed the car is much quieter with the spring loaded deflector in the DOWN position at speed. My wife and I played with this on a recent road trip. I'm gonna work up something to keep it from deploying as I don't like the looks of the bolt on wind deflector, though it does seem to solve the problem..
I had the same issue with my Protege5. I ended up using zip-ties to keep the deflector from popping up with the moonroof opened. Not sure if the same solution will work with the CX-5.

Coyote, I love the way the hood edge looks.
Does it create a aerodymanic effect that prevents bugs or pebbles from flying towards your windshield?
All in all, I really like the look of it.

I tried that on mine but found that although there was less wind noise there was much more booming pressure feel without the little flip up deflector. Some may not mind that but it was worse to me than the noise of the flip up deflector. Now I have the accessory deflector and all is good.

Does the moonroof deflector helps reducing the wind noise a lot ?

yes, it makes a very noticeable difference.
With the deflector I drive mine all the time open at 70+ mph and it is quite pleasant. Doing the same thing without the deflector wasn't much fun. I used to think moonroofs were kinda dumb until I got a deflector, now it is a great way to get some fresh air through the car without going deaf or having to yell "what?" all the time.

I wouldn't bother buying a car with a moonroof if I wasn't going to add a deflector. They always take me a while to get used to the look on the car but after a week or so I don't even notice it anymore.

... All told, it took me about 2-3 hours to install all of these, but I was taking my time and there was a bit of a learning curve, especially on the rear mud flaps. ...

Are these original Mazda mud flaps?
Can you provide any insight in terms of rear flaps you have mentioned?

Thanks

Looks like my wife's vehicle, same color, but she does not have moon roof deflector. I like it!

Looks great. How easy are the mudflaps to install? What effect does the hood deflector have on wind noise (if any)?

Back