Clear Paint Protection Kit

lovmyrx7

:
11 MS3, 12 MZ3 Skyactiv (wifes)
Anybody got it installed yet? That front piece looked waaay overpriced, however it does say "installed." Installed by who'm? I sure as hell don't want to have to do it :)

$1000+ for paint protection film? You could get your hood repainted a couple of times for that!

I purchased the hood edge deflector today and will be installing it in the morning. Looks to be a straightforward DIY project and only cost $60. It blends in well with the front of the car and should prevent most of the chip and ding damage. I also installed the mud flaps (front and rear) and the moonroof deflector today. I'll take some photos after I install the hood deflector.

The local dealer has its "model" CX-5 in their showroom and installed several other accessories, including the cargo mat and the roof rails. The cargo mat is quite thick and even has the built-in storage cubbies in the back corners. If you're transporting a dog or other potentially dirty items on a regular basis, it looks like the cargo mat is a nice option. The roof rails also look nice but really change the appearance of the vehicle (shades of the Pontiac Aztek came to mind...). I wouldn't put them on unless you're actually going to use them for something, perhaps in combination with the cross bars.

$1000+ for paint protection film? You could get your hood repainted a couple of times for that!

I purchased the hood edge deflector today and will be installing it in the morning. Looks to be a straightforward DIY project and only cost $60. It blends in well with the front of the car and should prevent most of the chip and ding damage. I also installed the mud flaps (front and rear) and the moonroof deflector today. I'll take some photos after I install the hood deflector.

The local dealer has its "model" CX-5 in their showroom and installed several other accessories, including the cargo mat and the roof rails. The cargo mat is quite thick and even has the built-in storage cubbies in the back corners. If you're transporting a dog or other potentially dirty items on a regular basis, it looks like the cargo mat is a nice option. The roof rails also look nice but really change the appearance of the vehicle (shades of the Pontiac Aztek came to mind...). I wouldn't put them on unless you're actually going to use them for something, perhaps in combination with the cross bars.

I'd like to see how much of the front it actually covers. Better be the whole front bumper, fog lamps, half the hood, the mirrors for that much. Put up a picture after you installed the hood deflector, I'm sure it looks good but I'd still like to see one installed. Our dealer isn't pushing accessories like they should.

A bit of research uncovered the following:

There are 3 kits available: hood only, standard and ultimate. The hood piece covers just under the first 2 feet of the hood. The standard kit includes the hood piece plus the the front fenders and side mirrors. The ultimate kit includes everything in the standard kit plus the leading edge of the roof, side pillars, front bumper, lights and top of rear bumper. Here's a PDF of the official diagram: View attachment Mazda_CX-5_2013_226-24-2-13FS.pdf

You can find more information here: http://www.nochip.ca/collections/ma...-2013-3m-scotchgard-paint-protection-film-kit

This certified 3M carrier is selling the standard kit for $225 (see here https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)). Given how many more pieces are included in the ultimate kit, it's probably another $200-$300 more. So, if what Mazda dealers are selling is the ultimate kit installed, they're adding about $500 in labor. If they're selling the standard kit for $1000, that is way overpriced and I would think that even if you didn't want to install it yourself, you could find a local professional who could do it for a lot less.

While I do think they are way too expensive, they could be worth it if you get it for the right price. Mazda paint has been terribly thin over the last several years. My 2.5 year old mazda3 was covered in rock chips on the front of the hood and I never did any crazy driving behind gravel trucks. Lots of people have complained.

I got it done for free by the dealer, 5 pieces (hood, front fenders and mirrors). I just wish there would have been a piece for the front bumper.

i bought the front bonnet/guards/mirror/rear bumper and foglight/headlight kit for $250 delivered from usa to aus didnt think it was too bad considering here they are $1000 plus fitted.. only downfall is the front bar kit has no cut out for factory sensors or headlight spray flap, so have to get locally which will cost near $250-400 ish

i bought the front bonnet/guards/mirror/rear bumper and foglight/headlight kit for $250 delivered from usa to aus didnt think it was too bad considering here they are $1000 plus fitted.. only downfall is the front bar kit has no cut out for factory sensors or headlight spray flap, so have to get locally which will cost near $250-400 ish

I went and had my car covered in Ventureshield (which was purchased by 3M). Had all of the front, bonnet, doors and all the side 1/4 panels.
Bloody excellent job, but I paid a pretty penny for it.

When selling my Mazda 3, I had to drop the price by a good $2000 purely on the basis of rock chips. Drive on Australia highways, and rock chips are a certainty.

Done professionally, it's extremely hard to see the actual film in place unless you know what your looking for. I had to wait for the right light to look at the coating done to the bonnet, because it was done with such perfection that the only tell tale sign was one of the corner edges being wrapped.

The Ventureshield takes a severe beating too. I had a test piece that I attempted to destroy with keys, sticks, stones, rocks and every object I could find short of using an actual blade.
Amount of damage to the surface underneath...... None!

Even more amazing is that any damage apparently done to the film appears to self heal right in front of your eyes.
It's an incredible material.

It makes washing the car a lot easier as well. It feels like normal paint, and can be waxed in an identical fashion.

The toughness of the material cannot be questioned. When my number plates were put back on after the install, I watched the installer cut the number plate screw holes so that the plates could be put back in place.
The only way to cut the holes was using a sharp blade. But even using such a sharp piece of metal, he went through 4 blades cutting the two screw holes out because the film had blunt each one as he cut.

Given I am going to save $2000 when I sell the vehicle, keeping it pristine was worth at least that.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.330973616957285.79207.140334719354510&type=1

These images are prior to the full bonnet being installed.

Anyone interested in the production can get more information here:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Products/VentureShield/

Anyone in Sydney interested in an install should speak to Chris Murphy from:
http://www.completesurfacesystems.com.au/

Last edited:
there's much more recent topics re protection methods, experiences etc than 3 1/2 yr old topic
believe the materiel etc has improved,changed somewhat since then

Back