Where to get a 'Dead Pedal'?

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
I'm not sure if that's what it's called...the plastic cover that is fitted on the driver's side floor to the left of the clutch or brake pedal to place your left foot. My Honda Accord has it and it saves wear and tear and stains on the carpet. Is there somewhere to get one that might attach with Velcro?

I have to say that I failed to even notice this until you pointed it out - damn you, black carpet! This seems like an inexpensive item that Mazda should've included because, as you note, it really saves on carpet wear and tear. I couldn't locate anything on the web that seemed to be a good fit for the CX-5 and most of what I saw was custom-designed for certain vehicles and was fairly expensive. What about purchasing an inexpensive set of thin, black, rear floor mats, cutting one to fit the "hump" exactly and then attaching it with adhesive-backed velcro? You could attach the adhesive back of the "male" (hook) part of the velcro to the piece of floor mat and then the hooks would stick to the carpet. I recently ordered the Weathertech Digital Floor Liners for the front footwells of the car (see related thread in this forum), so when they arrive I'll see how, if at all, they cover the hump where the dead pedal would have been. If not, I may experiment with the above suggestion. Note to forum readers: I've never tried this, so no warranties are express or implied and please be kind in your responses if you think this is a cockamamie idea(dunno)

sounds like a good idea to me, might try the velcro technique myself

Little confused..... Are you talking about the foot rest? Is there no rest pedal with the manual?
My Mazda 3 (Manual) lacked one, but the CX-5 (auto) has a very comfortable one to the left of the brake.
Given you're mentioning the clutch, I suppose you're talking about the manual version.

Little confused..... Are you talking about the foot rest? Is there no rest pedal with the manual?
My Mazda 3 (Manual) lacked one, but the CX-5 (auto) has a very comfortable one to the left of the brake.
Given you're mentioning the clutch, I suppose you're talking about the manual version.

Inodes, there is a foot rest but (at least in the U.S. model) it is carpeted just like the rest of the foot well. So, even if you install an all-weather mat, your dirty left shoe will still be resting on a carpeted surface. Most foot rests (or dead pedals, as they are sometimes called when installed as an after-market accessory) have a rubberized or other non-slip surface to make it easier to clean and to prevent wear and tear on the carpet.

Sounds like my Mazda 3. The rest is sort of there, but sort of isn't. But I assumed that was because a decent rest would get in the way of the clutch, and that's dangerous rather than annoying.

I'll take a photo of the rest in the auto I have. It's fairly big, although being predominately a manual driver, I'm not used to resting my left foot anywhere for a long period of time because it had a job to do.

This is what the CX-5 looks like. There is a raised platform on the left side where you rest your left foot. But it's only carpetted.

2012-04-01_18-28-05_572.jpg

On my 2006 Honda Accord, there is a rubber cover in that area that protects from stains and wear and tear.

2012-04-01_18-35-30_437.jpg

I still haven't found anything decent (and cheap) that I can "McGyver" up a dead pedal. I might have to take Alacoyote's suggestion with the rubber mat.

sounds like a good idea to me, might try the velcro technique myself

As I discussed in another thread, I installed a Weathertech DigitalLiner in the driver's side footwell. However, it only covered about 40% of the foot rest. So, I purchased a single rear all-weather mat ($5 at Wally World) and cut a piece to cover the remainder of the foot rest. I used the male (hook side) of adhesive-backed velcro and attached it to the top and sides of the rubber piece and extended it about 3/4" over the top edge of the DigitalLiner (without attaching it to the liner). The velcro hooks affix it to the carpet very nicely. It ain't purty but it does the trick (and you can barely see it unless you're looking for it, anyway). Certainly if you didn't have a DigitalLiner, you could just cut the piece bigger and attach it to the entire foot rest in the same manner. I didn't do this so that the liner could be removed for cleaning without having to remove the rubber piece. Here's a photo:

Foot Rest.jpg

solved by getting velcro pads and cutting to shape a Tile Liner (only had to cut length wise, width was perfect already), it actually looks stock as it has vertical lines on it and a side lip.
can take pix if requested

Yes, I'd like to see a picture. I would like to cover my dead pedal, since I tend to use it often.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hollis. That looks perfect. But when I clicked on your link, the price was $85 for the case! Can you get it a la piece?

It was $3.14 at the store... its 4" wide even at the top.. didnt have to cut it as the top portion just went into/under left plastic cover by the fuses and the down is exactly 4" wide already. The slight bend/curve/lip on the right side is great to prevent accidentally pulling it out and looks very clean. I used phone camera with flash, in person it is jet black like the other pedals and if you magnify the picture you'll see vertical lines on the rubber which are great for looks and make it less slippery.

i've owned products from autovation which is similar to srpracing. i had a heel guard from before that i reused to not wear thru the carpet.

dsc02903ru.jpg

dsc02904ke.jpg

i was going to contact them to have cx-5 pedals made, but got lazy to make a template.

since i work at a machine shop and run the CnC mill and various machinery,i decided to look at the no dead pedal issue for myself. i was thinking of making a nice lighted one with some milled out CX-5 and below that GT letters in it. once work slows down a bit (week or 2) ill have a bit of spare time to come up with a plan of attack. thinking either red led's and clear plexi or red plexi and clear led's. ill keep ya posted on what i can come up with (2thumbs)

Pudde, if you do this (even without led's) would you be willing to sell? I would def be interested. Just saying...

Back