Question for current owners

Locotiki

:
CX-5 AWD Touring
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Touring AWD model. I've test driven two vehicles and noticed a couple of things that bugged me. Wondering if anyone else noticed this? Let me prefaces this by admitting that I'm super critical about cars and I have a history of noticing things that don't seem to bother other people. On my first test drive I noticed the side view mirror on the drivers side vibrated to a point where it was distracting. This occurred only on the highway at around 70mph and above. Both sides did it but the drivers side was really bad. Once off the hwy I pulled over and adjusted the mirror. On the return trip it still shook but not like it had before. Because I was worried about this I test drove another vehicle the next day. Both mirrors shook again but not to the extent of the first one. Had I not been looking for it I probably wouldn't have noticed it on the second vehicle. The other thing that concerned me was feeling a slight binding feeling when opening the rear doors to their fully open positon. This is something I could only feel on one door and not even every time I opened it. It seemed to happen more when you opened the door really slow. I was again worried that there was a problem with the car but when I checked out a few others on the lot I found that all of them did this. If anyone could chime in and let me know if they've experienced something similar I would appreciate it.

dude, i felt the rear door "binding" too and forgot about it. do NOT like the feel of that, wonder what the problem is. i opened two different models, driver's side rear doors both did it.

Never noticed this before you mentioned it, but the mirrors do shake slightly at higher speed. Not the entire mirror housing, but just the mirror itself. It isn't enough to obstruct your view to either side, but it's odd.

I played with my read doors a little bit last evening and I feel no binding. Unless you are talking about those internal stops allowing you to have door partially open and stay in that position?

I played with my read doors a little bit last evening and I feel no binding. Unless you are talking about those internal stops allowing you to have door partially open and stay in that position?

My Protege5 (probably most cars??) has those and it's very handy when parked on a slight incline.

Yes it was just the glass that was shaking. What makes me nervous is it was shaking really bad on the drivers side on the first car a drove. The second card both sides did it but very little.

With regard to the door, I felt the vibration/binding as it passed through the stopping point between the two positions. I only felt it really on one door but then on the other cars I checked out it did it on both sides. I really want to buy one of these but I'm starting to get concerns about the quality/reliability for it in it's first year.

I am going to go for a longer drive today and keep a look out for mirror vibrations. I have heard that putting the mirror on the door (to increase visibility) has led to a higher than normal flow of air around the mirrors. Some reviews have complained that the main noise comes from the mirrors.
I suspect they've used light weight materials for the greater good of the car, but this and the position may come with a lot of vibration.

The door "binding" is fairly typical on a lot of cars if you mean the door opens in stages.

I've been doing some research and apparently there has been no shortage of complaints on a bunch of later model Mazda's about the shaking mirrors. I've got a car on it's way to a dealer for delivery this week. I haven't put a deposit down so I'm still a bit up in the air on this one. I wish I could say it won't bug me but I know it will.

I've been doing some research and apparently there has been no shortage of complaints on a bunch of later model Mazda's about the shaking mirrors. I've got a car on it's way to a dealer for delivery this week. I haven't put a deposit down so I'm still a bit up in the air on this one. I wish I could say it won't bug me but I know it will.

I paid attention to this specific thread while taking my new CX-5 out for a good 300+ miles (500km +) driving.
I note the vibration of the mirrors you speak of, but it's so minimal.

At the speeds that it occurs at, it's still very easy to use the mirrors (the vibration is minor).
It doesn't affect the driving for me at all, and I possibly would have taken longer to notice it had it not been for this thread.

It's most certainly because the mirror is door mounted from below, rather than door frame mounted from the side. It means there is a lot more airflow disturbing the mirror.
The is the first current Mazda I can think of that uses that design.

I bought a loaded Touring on 03/13/2012.

I don't drive it much. My old lady drives it to work everyday. Bit, I love it. We looked at nearly everything before we came to the CX-5, and nothing else compared.

I haven't noted any issues, save for the vibrating glass in the side mirrors. Doesn't bother me. And I don't think my old lady has noticed it.
Only other major complaint is NVH with the AC running. Feels like it has a full set of stiff, aftermatket mounts in it.
Kinda weird...

Otherwise, it's awesome. I'd even park my MS6 and drive the CX-5 daily if I could.

Yes it was just the glass that was shaking. What makes me nervous is it was shaking really bad on the drivers side on the first car a drove. The second card both sides did it but very little.
Now that you've mentioned it I've started looking closely and yes, the driver mirror glass vibrates very slightly above ~55mph. The passenger glass starts vibrating around 65mph and much less than the left one. I'm quite sure it's air induced and the right one vibrates less because it sits at different angle. Nevertheless it doesn't bother me at all. If it wasn't for your question I wouldn't notice it for years.

I bought a loaded Touring on 03/13/2012.

I don't drive it much. My old lady drives it to work everyday. Bit, I love it. We looked at nearly everything before we came to the CX-5, and nothing else compared.

I haven't noted any issues, save for the vibrating glass in the side mirrors. Doesn't bother me. And I don't think my old lady has noticed it.
Only other major complaint is NVH with the AC running. Feels like it has a full set of stiff, aftermatket mounts in it.
Kinda weird...

Otherwise, it's awesome. I'd even park my MS6 and drive the CX-5 daily if I could.

your old lady won't dig that at all. your old lady will yell at you. (drinks)

No shaking mirrors observed in first 1000 miles of ownership.

I also did the high volume test with the factory Bose system and hip hop music, no problem with vibrating mirrors.

I also did the high volume test with the factory Bose system and hip hop music, no problem with vibrating mirrors.

the vibrations seem to be wind related, my drivers one does it but not pax, dealer has new glass and housing in finally probably go monday to get it swapped out and see if that fixes it

I've noticed the vibration too more on the driver side than passenger. Noticeable when I hit around 90-100km/h.
It's tolerable but I wonder if this is something Mazda is gonna eventually have to address.

I just picked up my GT yesterday (yippie!), but noticed the shaking mirrors right away. Not concerning to me, but I do find it annoying.

Back