PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty

Rufus
03-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone,

We just purchased a new CX5 GT yesterday and are interested in a factory extended warranty. When we purchased our Toyota a couple years ago, a forum had the contact information for a Toyota dealer across the country that sold the extended warranties for a VERY fair price. You just called him up, he checked the VIN to make sure it was eligible and then gave your CC. We got a Toyota 7 year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for less than $800. We were previously looking at a Subaru Outback, before deciding on the CX5, and the Outback forum had contact information about Subaru dealerships doing a similar deal. Does anyone know of a Mazda dealer offering a similar option? The dealer we purchased the CX5 from offered an additional 2 years of bumper to bumper (5 years total) for $1000, which we feel is WAY to much.

Here's a link to the thread about the Toyota deal in case anyone is interested.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/88718-buying-extended-warranty-read-first.html

Thanks in advance!!!

CodyZoom
03-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I am also very interested in this information. I opted out of the extra 2 years as well, with the intent of possibly purchasing it later on. My dealership said the price for the extended warranty would rise if I decided to go back later. I might go out and grab it regardless of Mazda's reliability - it's a new vehicle from the ground up.

kampfire
03-29-2012, 09:41 AM
I was quoted $1500 for a total for 6 years 100k miles bumper to bumper. Now you got me thinking thats too expensive.

cptkloss
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I was quoted $1500 for a total for 6 years 100k miles bumper to bumper. Now you got me thinking thats too expensive.

2 year "extended" for $1000 does not cover powertrain (as it's still covered by manufacturers warranty) --> at least that's how i read it.
so you, for $500 extra get a full 1 year of additional warranty. I myself would be more interested in extended powertrain warranty than anything else.

candf
03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I purchased one from the dealer for $1300. 7 years, 75,000. mi. I probably could have gotten cheaper but many of the dealers in Louisiana use LDS (Louisiana Dealer Services Co). They have been around since the 1970's and because so many Louisiana dealers use them, hopefully they will not go bankrupt like I understand other companies have. I think that is what I would be most worried about since then you have no recourse if the company does go under. If there is a company that many or most dealers use in your state, I would check that out and make sure the coverage is Nationwide, not just for a specific dealership or state coverage.

kobec
03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
a lot has to do with where you are located and what you want covered...i got a quote for $1900 from the dealer which i thought was ridiculous...(7 yr, 100k) but when i started asking around more, calling other extended warranty companies...that 1900 went up to 2100-2400 for the same number of years/mileage. so i went back to the dealer to get their extended warranty package.

IslandTractor
03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone who belongs to AAA should check out their rates on these extended warranty deals. I got one from the dealer when I bought my CX9 just because it could be put into the car loan at zero interest but I did pay a bit more than essentially identical coverage from a AAA certified insurer.

For the GT I think the extended warranty is probably worth it if just for the peace of mind given all the expensive electronics etc. The basic Mazda vehicles though are so reliable these days I'd be tempted to go naked rather than put the money into extended warranty especially for something less than 6/7 years and 100,000 miles.

mrstbodega
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
WOW! The prices you all got quoted with are ridiculously high. I purchased the extended warranty for $950. I love my Mazda dealer...he hooked it up overall with my complete purchase of the CX-5.

kobec
03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Does yours cover powertrain, electronics etc?

WOW! The prices you all got quoted with are ridiculously high. I purchased the extended warranty for $950. I love my Mazda dealer...he hooked it up overall with my complete purchase of the CX-5.

mrstbodega
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Yes :)

Does yours cover powertrain, electronics etc?

kobec
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
If that's the case, would you mind sharing the company who's providing the extended warranty? thanks!

Yes :)

uopsong
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
My dealer in Colorado has quoted me $3,000 for 76 Months/100,000 miles. I know that the CX-5 is a 1st Gen but do you think extended warranties are worth it? Anyone? Kinda scary with all the electronics on board (i.e. backup camera, LCD screen, blindside mirror, etc).

JTNY
04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Ditto!

If that's the case, would you mind sharing the company who's providing the extended warranty? thanks!

IslandTractor
04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
My dealer in Colorado has quoted me $3,000 for 76 Months/100,000 miles. I know that the CX-5 is a 1st Gen but do you think extended warranties are worth it? Anyone? Kinda scary with all the electronics on board (i.e. backup camera, LCD screen, blindside mirror, etc).
That is a pure dealer profit rip off. Join AAA and get a quote from them. I'm betting it will cost less than half of what your dealer is trying to charge.

IslandTractor
04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Remember folks, you don't need to buy the extended warranty at the same time as the vehicle. You have a year or two to sort it out and look for a better deal. Even your dealer will come down in price to get you back in his showroom later. Just be careful of the flybynight warranty operations. AAA, CR and a number of warranty review websites can be helpful.

Magbarn
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Interested in this too as I got a 8 year 120k extended Acura care extended warranty in my previous TL for only $1200. Came in handy when the auto tragic transmission died at 115k (3rd tranny!) so I got a new $4000 transmission replacement. Concerned a bit about the new trannyand direct injection motor on the cx5 so interested in a high volume discount seller of Mazdas extended warranty.

JTNY
04-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I too am interested , we may have to scour the various Mazda forums to see if there is an overly enterprising Mazda salesperson selling factory warranties on the cheap.

Interested in this too as I got a 8 year 120k extended Acura care extended warranty in my previous TL for only $1200. Came in handy when the auto tragic transmission died at 115k (3rd tranny!) so I got a new $4000 transmission replacement. Concerned a bit about the new trannyand direct injection motor on the cx5 so interested in a high volume discount seller of Mazdas extended warranty.

JTNY
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Just wanted to give an update to everyone.

My local dealer has Mazda backed Extended warranties for the following prices:

(the prices are approximate, I have the price sheet and will adjust when i get home but they are int he ballpark)

$1600 $0 deductible
$1400 $50/deductible.
$1200 $100/deductible
$1000 $250/deductible

These are 7 yr 120,000 Mile warranties . It overlaps your current 3yr/36K mile warranty.

If anyone is interested in buying a policy let me know and I'll pass you my sales guys info.

nizzy1115
05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow thats a good deal. I got 7 year 100k mile 100 deductible for 1500. :(

stromdriver
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
wtf, i paid like 1200 for my 'wrap protection' with 100 deductible just to bring bumper-bumper up to 5/60k....

nizzy1115
05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow, 1200 for a 24k mile warranty? Thats about 5 cents a mile!

Though dont feel totally bad, they might have lowered the price of the vehicle to compensate for the higher price of the warranty. What was your total price on the car + warranty?

stromdriver
05-30-2012, 04:07 PM
they actually lowered the warranty, it was supposed to be like 1500-1600...

uhm i think my final deal, touring, tech, bose, awd with splash guards and cargo cover and the 'wrap' warranty was 29400? dont quote me on that, would have to check papers at home later might have been different than memory serves, it was two months ago

Dona
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, please - I would love your sales guy's info. too!!

Just wanted to give an update to everyone.

My local dealer has Mazda backed Extended warranties for the following prices:

(the prices are approximate, I have the price sheet and will adjust when i get home but they are int he ballpark)

$1600 $0 deductible
$1400 $50/deductible.
$1200 $100/deductible
$1000 $250/deductible

These are 7 yr 120,000 Mile warranties . It overlaps your current 3yr/36K mile warranty.

If anyone is interested in buying a policy let me know and I'll pass you my sales guys info.

udayse
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
me too.. Please send us the info.

JTNY
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Contact Jim Hill @ Smith Cairns Mazda and tell him Jonathan sent you (mention that I brought my White GT from him last week)

914-377-8100, x 161

BTW the warranty is for 100K miles (typo on my part)

mobd
06-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I bought 5/100,000 for $1400 and it's supposed to include everything. I have the tech package and I just felt like over the course of that many years, I'm sure something will go wrong. Hope not, but I just spend $1200 last year on my jeep after it was out of warranty..and that was one visit to the service department...so I didn't think $1,400 was too bad a deal.

bamirault
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
This really is a crap shoot. The standard wisdom is that any insurance policy pays out less to the subscribers than they pay in; that's the only way insurers make money. Easy to say so long as you are not the one facing an expensive out-of-warranty repair.

The Consumer Reports wisdom is that if you feel you NEED to buy additional warranty you should consider instead another make/model.

In 1999 I had the opportunity to buy a Volvo extended warranty for 1800$. I declined, but monitored my repairs. At the end of 7 years of ownership and the term of the extension, there was still 285$ in the 1800$ repair fund; which was debited every time a repair that would have been covered was made.

It comes down to personal comfort, risk tolerance, and whether over the life of the extension you can easily afford the covered repairs out of pocket in the unfortunate event that you need to make them.

Brian

JTNY
06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Your opinions are certainly valid but for a new model vehicle with a brand new engine technology, it makes prudent sense to tack on an additional warranty to at least give owners a sense that they won't be subject to a large repair bill in the event of some failure in the mechanical/electrical components which can easily run into the hundred/thousands in the next 7 years cosidering shop labor is ~$90-100/hour right now.

This really is a crap shoot. The standard wisdom is that any insurance policy pays out less to the subscribers than they pay in; that's the only way insurers make money. Easy to say so long as you are not the one facing an expensive out-of-warranty repair.

The Consumer Reports wisdom is that if you feel you NEED to buy additional warranty you should consider instead another make/model.

In 1999 I had the opportunity to buy a Volvo extended warranty for 1800$. I declined, but monitored my repairs. At the end of 7 years of ownership and the term of the extension, there was still 285$ in the 1800$ repair fund; which was debited every time a repair that would have been covered was made.

It comes down to personal comfort, risk tolerance, and whether over the life of the extension you can easily afford the covered repairs out of pocket in the unfortunate event that you need to make them.

Brian

ta240
06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
one of the things that drives me crazy with extended warranties is the dealers sell an infinite number of non-factory ones. Some dealers even make up their own warranty companies so they can keep all the profit. Our local dealer changed warranty companies between last November when we bought our 3 and last month when we bought our CX5.

I didn't buy either, too many horror stories about people trying to get reimbursed for repairs or the company going out of business.

Does Mazda even have an official Mazda Extended Warranty?

I know dealers prefer the off brand ones because they can make many times the profit on them, but just curious if Mazda actually had one of their own.

Here's hoping our new Mazdas run like our P5 did. In 141,000 miles it never set a tire in a shop. I replaced the coil packs and the tube between the air filter and the intake and that was it besides regular wear items like brake pads and tires.

edit: Looks like Mazda's warranty is called TotalCare. I can't find any actual information on it though.

soobaerodude
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I just picked up a CX-5 last night and purchased a 6 year/100K third-party extended warranty for $1000.

However, I looked up the company behind policy, First Extended Extended Service Corporation, and found horror stories of owners being denied claims.

This comes as no surprise, since the first two marketing points about why dealers should sell their policies say (http://www.thewarrantygroup.com/company-overview/resource-automotive/first_extended.html):

Immediate cash flow unlike traditional service contract programs, you hold the cash, providing financial leverage and investment income potential.
Superior loss control our superior administrative capabilities protect your capital...

Translation: just another way for dealers to make money.

I then looked to see if there was a Mazda-backed warranty program, and found references to the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, or MEPP. It was serviced by EasyCare (http://www.easycare-customer-care.com/easycare-extended-warranty-for-mazda.html). However, it looks like it was discontinued in February and now only offered for Certified Pre-Owned vehicles now. (http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=cpoServiceContrac ts) There are dead pages on the mazdausa site that refer to MEPP (http://images-approval.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/static/shopWarrantyMEPP.html)

I'm going to cancel the First Extended junk and will ask about MEPP

master yoda3
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Has anybody used Jim lately, are the prices still the same? We have 2010 CX-9 with 25K and I'm starting to look into getting the warranty extended.

Contact Jim Hill @ Smith Cairns Mazda and tell him Jonathan sent you (mention that I brought my White GT from him last week)

914-377-8100, x 161

BTW the warranty is for 100K miles (typo on my part)

Chiownknee
09-02-2012, 03:39 PM
The legit website Carbargains, which had dealers bid against one another for extended service contracts, recommends using the following dealer (who agreed to charge only $25 more than the dealer cost):

Roto Subaru Mazda
1555 E. Rand Road
Arlington Heights, IL
847-255-5700 Ext:290

erhayes
09-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I try to purchase a new reliable vehicle from a reliable company., During the first few months, I record anything that is misaligned or faulty. The dealer gets the list at the first "free" oil change. The std warranty that comes with the vehicle seems adequate (3/36 & 5/60) so I don't buy additional warranty. Mazda CX7 had AC compressor problems & turbo seal problems which I never had, but Mazda extended the warranty to 7y/70K miles. This showers me that manufactures, at least Mazda & Subaru are interested in their customers. I probably have purchased 15+ new vehicles and I have never had a claim that would come close to costing the extended warranty cost. My advise for the daily driver is, If you can't afford to put the cost of the extended warranty money in a CD and leave it there then you can't afford to buy a new car. I also feel this way about renting new vehicles.i.e leasing. Weird but, it works for me.. Ed

samdav
01-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Less money, more protection with a hidden warranty. Extended warranties are offered for almost any important purchase. Consumer electronics and home purchases are specifically common choices. Extended warranties are often costly. Basically, the plans are insurance plans on your stuff. Extended warranties (http://www.**************.com) do not have to burn an opening as part of your budget.

minnesotaart
01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Spam!