Coming soon.... my diesel

inodes

:
2012 Mazda CX-5 GT Diesel with Tech Pack
Hi All,

Finally! After all my posts my Black Mica Diesel CX-5 GT is coming soon.

Manufactured: 28/02/12
Left Hiroshima: 09/03/12
Left Japan: 12/03/12
Arrived Australia: 19/03/12
Arrived Sydney: 25/03/12
Arrived at Dealer: 27/03/12

Now just to pick it up..... soon....

Report to come :)

I had my new Diesel CX-5 delivered on Friday afternoon. I've done a mix of driving around Sydney and surrounds to the tune of 700km (435 miles).
I think I can give a good summary of the pros and cons so far of the Diesel.

The model I have is the AWD Diesel with the following:
Power: 129kW/173hp @ 4500rpm
Torque: 420Nm/310lbf @ 2000rpm

This compares with the same AWD Petrol:
Power: 113kW/152hp @ 6000rpm
Torque: 198Nm/146lbf @ 4000rpm

That's 14% more power at 25% less rpm and 112% more torque at 50% less rpm.
But the redline and operating revs of the diesel are also lower (rev gauges are obviously a different scale to suit).
The diesel is about 100kg heavier though.

In comparing various vehicles, I had a chance to drive the VW Passat Diesel and Tiguan Diesel. The Tiguan TDI feels like the economical twin of it's petrol sibling. The petrol is the performance model in comparison. But transplanting the engine into the Passat makes for a powerful and comfortable experience. It was fairly comparable when driving only 30 minutes prior, the top of the range CX-7, which has performance in spades.

This is one reason we held off the the CX-5 Diesel. Ideally it had to have CX-7 or better performance, with Passat fuel economy.

Starting up the CX-5 Diesel, I was surprised at how quiet Mazda have made it. VW has been in the Diesel game for a long time, and their engines and tranmissions are quite advanced. But the diesel of the CX-5 in comparison seems not only more quiet (at idle from outside), but revs a heck load more. The engine note is masculine, throaty and the noise is quite addictive at high revs.

As far as dynamics go, the CX-5 Petrol and Diesel feel very similar, so driving along a highway and around corners there is almost no difference (comparing AWD Petrol and AWD Diesel).

It's the engine and change in transmission behaviour where to change is most noticable. There is a variance in the gear ratio which immediately becomes noticible when driving the diesel. Because the revs stay low,

The diesel doesn't mind being revved. Testing by the Australian government for fuel economy rated the running rpm of the CX-5 Diesel to be partway between the low revs of the Tiguan and the screaming revs of the Petrol CX-5. This seems to equate to less diesel thumping while running the vehicle around town. Some diesels almost sound tractor like when driving around at parking speeds, because their revs are slow low and the engines so massive. The CX-5 seems far less so.

But on the highway while the petrol CX-5 loves to be revved high (and most of the useable overtaking manuourveres would require high revs and downshifting), the diesel requires a small tap and no downshift to overtake.

Most of our highways are 110km/h limit (70mph) - some areas up north where the CX-5 is likely to be common are 130km/h (81mph). These are slow limits by European standards, but at these speeds the Diesel is running at around 1800rpm; practically sounding as if it's idle. When battling trucks banking up, it's not uncommon to get up to a max of 150km/h (96mph) (Shhh... don't tell anyone). And for this, there was little effort to go from 100km/h to 130km/h or more. The Diesel did it without breaking a sweat - and comfortably.

Fuel economy....

One of my friends neighbours purchased a new CX-5. Her immediate reaction was to ask the neighbour if it was diesel or petrol, to which the answer was that the $3000 price difference wasn't enough to compensate for variances in fuel economy.
And the neighbour was right.

Customers are typically drawn to diesel first based on fuel economy and in many models, the diesel is so much better than the petrol.
The Petrol CX-5 fuel economy though is quite impressive on paper, and it seems that in practice on this forum (and also in media reports). The difference between it and the diesel on paper is minimal.

I've done a mixture of driving including a lot of stop-start Sydney traffic (where i-stop kicks in), and also highway driving. The fuel economy is best around the 80km/h (50mph) mark, but if you drove that speed on Australian highways you'd be shoved off the road. Any slower in a car like the CX-5 that obviously doesn't seem to have issues, and Police would pull you up for a random breath test to ensure you weren't drinking.

With this mix of driving, my calculations so far appear to be a dismal 8.6L/100km (27mpg US). This is far worse than many of you are reporting with your petrol runs.
This said, the economy appears to be improving. The calculation on the display appears to be fairly close to my calculations.
See: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/inodes/cx5

I hope that I see an improvement as I continue to drive.

I consider your fuel economy one point in a data set. While others are achieving better fuel economy, they're not you. Someone may say they have similar driving habits but what does that really mean? I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. You don't have all that much mileage on it yet so your observations are necessarily limited. As more people buy them and start logging them, then it will be useful to compare them and see how things average out.

Thanks for the info. 8.6L is quite a lot as Mazda claims 5.7L for this engine - but you obviously enjoy the car:)
Do you get 1800rpm at 110km/h or at 130km/h? Here in Germany when the highway is only with two lanes you can either drive between the trucks with 90km/h or on the left lane with as much as you car can do - that's why low rpm at higher speeds is always good.

"$3000 price difference wasn't enough to compensate for variances in fuel economy"

i guess that's the major hurdle in making diesel popular in the US...overall lower base fuel prices make it tough to make a case for diesel. economy wise at least.
Let's say you drive 18k miles/year and the average difference in fuel consumption is 5 mpg, that comes to measly $150/year savings on gas. Looking at "best case scenario" - highly unlikely - where gas version averages 30 mpg and diesel 40 mpg, it's still just $400/year. hopefully diesel option will cost less than $3k here in states. And from what i read here and elsewhere , it's going to be really difficult to make "performance gain" a significant factor in making people's minds up to which version are they going to choose.. heh anyways it's still theoretical as we dont even know for sure that CX-5 WILL offer diesel option in a forseeable future.

I sure hope they do offer it. I hope the US will see this new diesel engine as a performance engine, with the sweetener being fuel economy. No diesel means no purchase for me =( .

Thanks for the info. 8.6L is quite a lot as Mazda claims 5.7L for this engine - but you obviously enjoy the car:)
Do you get 1800rpm at 110km/h or at 130km/h? Here in Germany when the highway is only with two lanes you can either drive between the trucks with 90km/h or on the left lane with as much as you car can do - that's why low rpm at higher speeds is always good.

Bigi1983, I know this is important in Germany. I will have to go out one weekend and find out what the rpm is at 130. The figure I gave you is for 110km/h which isn't too bad.
This weekend (as per all long weekends) it's double demerit points. Speed this weekend and it's half a licence. Have one passenger with their seatbelt off (any seat counts), and it's half a licence. Drink more than 0.5, and it's 6 months off the road and a $3000 fine.

Thankfully seatbelts and drinking are never an issue, but speeding is too easy....

Australia has a 0.5 bac limit??!? I live in the wrong country! :D
It is 0.05 sorry. Missing my 0 :)

With my average of getting breath tested at least once per fortnight - it's crazy to drink and drive.
If you're in the first 3 years of your licence (i.e. you still hold provisional plates), the limit is 0.00.

Breath tests are very common with Police sometimes doing them on the spot, but generally they'll block roads and test a bulk of people going through.

Seatbelts are not really an issue. It's been compulsory to wear both front and back since about 1982 (about the same time tobacco advertising was banned completely). I only ever have to tell American or Mexican tourists to put their seatbelts on when they get in the back. They always look at me as if I'm crazy.

Last edited:
backseat seatbelts!?!?!? (boom06)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation_in_the_United_States

It was longer ago than I thought.... Some Australian and US states were among first implementers of seatbelt rules.
The Australian state of Victoria was well ahead of the rest of the world by requiring seatbelts in rear to be compulsory in 1970. Most of the rest of the country followed shortly after.

So it's been over 40 years in Australia since it became compulsory in all seats - something still not case in the US.
The usage in Australia is supposed to be the highest per capita (Sweden is second). And it created an interesting design change to Australian cars when air bags were introduced.

Because of the high rate of sealtbelt usage, studies showed that passengers involved in crashes below 25km/h, received the most benefit from their seat belt usage, and actually incurred injuries from airbag deployment rather than any assistance. The airbag became more useful at higher speed.

When GM exported Australian produced vehicles to the US, the airbag was changed completely. In Australia it was a smaller airbag that deployed at over 25km/h - because it was used as a secondary device. In the US bound vehicles, airbags were doubled in size and required to deploy at speeds less than half the Australian design.
The reason: The airbag was considered a primary device in the US on the basis that seatbelt usage was so low.

Obviously laws and Policing dictate this.

I was born in the mid 70's, and my entire life I've been taught that the seatbelt is a must. I can't count the number of times a Police car would go by and my parents would snap "make sure your seatbelts are on". Not wearing a seatbelt was a primary offense well before we got colour TV.

But in the end, statistically the number of fatalities plummeted when this law was passed. The same drop occurred when roadside random alcohol tests became a common affair.

Interestingly, car magazines here hail the invention of stability control as the most second most important safety feature of the modern car - after the seatbelt.

Really good article worth reading:
http://www.enablingchange.com.au/The_dark_side_of_regulating_behaviour.pdf

Last edited:
Anyone know if the diesel version is coming to Canada?

Some say yes, others say no… nothing confirmed yet for north america. I've read an article recently that said "the diesel will come to Canada but we can't confirm in which model yet", I'd guess this means either the new Mazda6 or the CX-5 if it happens in the short term…

The dealership where I am buying the car from said... likely it'll be the 6 coming with diesel but no one can confirm either way.... so sad.

The dealership where I am buying the car from said... likely it'll be the 6 coming with diesel but no one can confirm either way.... so sad.

Hope it gets to North America soon. It meets all the strictest US emission requirements with flying colours.
I think Mazda USA has blocked the Diesel thinking there is no market for it. It's GFC thinking, and it's pathetic, because the US retail sales are improving, and the car market is on the rise.

VW Australia made a similar mistake.

Back in 2008, 2009 the Scirocco came out. The decision was made by VW not to export the car to the US or Australia. It was considered poor timing and a vehicle that would steal sales from the Golf GTI.

At the time the decision was probably right for the US. But it was totally wrong for Australia.

Everyone is familar to the state of the world back then.... But what people don't realise is that Australia was immune to the global recessions. We were cashed up on a mining boom (still are), spending money like there as no tomorrow and car sales were at record highs. Cars that would be considered expensive in the US, were considered quite cheap here simply because annual incomes are generally higher.

Ferrari's and Lamborghini sales skyrocketed. Audi sales were so high, they the German brand built their world's biggest dealership in Sydney in response, then took the head of Audi Australia and sent him to Germany to work his magic on Head of Global sales.
See:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/2D7283F48601D52BCA257392000FE9C8

VW didn't take the pulse of the Australian market.

Shortly after their realisation that the Australia market could handle anything, they reversed their decision...... But it took 2 years to get the Scirocco here.

The Australian market now gets the Scirocco and the Golf R in addition to the GTI - they can't import them quickly enough.
Meanwhile, VW in the US is still on GFC thinking.

At this stage, the Scirocco is not expected to be imported to the US based on the fact that they don't think it will sell.
Is Mazda thinking the same about the CX-5 Diesel?

Is so, they're both stupid. Both would sell in the US easily.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/volkswagen-wont-bring-scirocco-to-the-us-570.html
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-scirocco-may-still-come-to-america.html

Last edited:
I also think it would sell well however, the nearest competitor with diesel engines, the VW Tiguan is also not available with a diesel engine over here. Maybe they wanted to see how the CX-5 sells over here before taking the jump with the diesel, or they prefer to bring the Mazda6 with it since there are competitors with it (VW Passat).

Or they have something more coming up with the Skyactiv-G engine that we're not aware of (last two paragraphs) : http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/represents+face+Mazda/6249870/story.html

I think Mazda is smart enough to know what to do, at least I hope so.

Well, according to Mazda from the New York Auto show, the new Mazda 6 will first be released to the U.S. with the Skyactiv-G gasoline...not the diesel.
"For North America, the 2014 Mazda6 will feature a SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine and be available with two transmissions, the SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual and SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed automatic."

Given that, and the fact that they said "a" Mazda WILL arrive with the Diesel engine next year, it seems safe to assume it'll be in the CX5. Then again, maybe I'm being overly hopeful...but let's assume my interpretation and assumptions are correct heh.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-mazda6-with-skyactiv-tech-confirmed-for-paris-motor-show/

If they want to be successful they need to price it right. I'm looking at new Ford Escape pricing scheme...1.6 to 2.0 engine upgrade costs $1000, i-stop $295... it will be a worthy competition...hehe..once they start throwing in $1,500-$2,000 rebates

Back