lumbar support versus privacy glass

Here is my first post. I'm not yet a Mazda owner, but after taking a CX-5 for a test ride I am seriously thinking that this could be the replacement for my aging Subaru Forester.

The three trim levels available here are Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. I would normally be interested in the Touring version, except for one thing: it comes only with "rear privacy glass."

I hate tinted windows. During the test drive I was aware of the darkened view through the rear windscreen. This should be illegal, since it obscures the view of trailing drivers of what is ahead in the traffic flow. The rear side windows are tinted too – as if to shield a mob boss sitting in the rear seat.

There is hope, because the Sport version does not come with tinted windows. This version has everything I want in my new car, except for one thing: lumbar support adjustment on the driver's seat. I will go back to the dealer and sit in a Sport, and see if the non-adjustable lumbar support suits my posture.

If it does not have enough lumbar support, is there a way that the seat can be modified to suit?

[edit] Another alternative would be to buy the Touring version and have the tinted windows replaced by the clear windows from the Sport version. That would be expensive, but perhaps worth it to me.

Last edited:
It would probably be cheaper to change the seat than all the windows.

I also don't see the tinted windows being a big deal. Those trailing drivers will not look up from their phone long enough to notice what's going on in front of you anyway. (bigger safety concern in reality) They are going to rear end you whether your windows are clear or tinted. Also suprised you don't like tinted windows in Arizona. Must be like driving an easy-bake oven in the summer time.

The rear side windows are tinted too – as if to shield a mob boss sitting in the rear seat.

I'm guessing you have never ridden in anything with limo tint???

At night, they are absolutely darker than your typical 'non-tinted' windows. However during a brutal summer, they are a blessing for rear-seated children I'll go with factory rear tinted windows ANY day of the week.

It would probably be cheaper to change the seat than all the windows.

A new seat is cheaper than a rear window and two side windows? Perhaps, but the Sport model is not wired for a power seat, so that is an extra complication.

Arizona Mazda dealers add additional window tinting to the front side windows. Perhaps most of the buyers here have the same attitude as you do, that this is a good thing, but I find the dimmed interior quite depressing.

What is privacy glass?

The Touring models worldwide have zero tint, and only get it done aftermarket. Is this embedded into the glass? Is the US a unique market to be offering such a stupid thing.
I seriously doubt Mazda would even bother. Almost sounds as stupid as rear lights that act as indicators.

Tinting after market is so easy to control (many shades and colours) - and better still, very easy to replace glass or remove tint altogether.
If it's not embedded in the glass, it takes a tinter almost no time to remove.

The Touring models worldwide have zero tint, and only get it done aftermarket. Is this embedded into the glass? Is the US a unique market to be offering such a stupid thing.

I'm glad that sanity prevails, outside the US. I hope that the tinted "privacy glass" rear windows can be stripped off of the North American versions which have it. But I am not optimistic that this is the case.

You are forgetting about one thing of the privacy glass - the privacy aspect. Too many people trying to look inside my car trying to figure out what did I left there. Sometimes there is no other way around as to leave something (more or less) valuable or otherwise unsettling in the car that I would like to have hidden from people's view. Last year I had my car searched by the Police just because an officer passing by noticed and iPod cable sicking from under the seat. I'm very happy that my Touring has privacy glass and I already installed cargo cover in the back.

Dumb question but why not just get a touring and deal with it? This is the first I have ever seen anyone want to get rid of any sort of tinting, especially from the factory. If people are trailing you they should pay attention to you and not what you are dealing with.

I stand correct. Noted the video of the US and Canadian spec vehicles leaving port with privacy glass installed.
So as per Mazda, each country asks and they shall receive....

It's a US request that was obviously honoured at the factory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREW0Igzo70

I had a real comfort issue with the seats in my CRZ on long trips. I had even considered selling the car after a few months because the seats were killing my back. A pilot recommended a "Soft Seat" cushion from Oregon Aero that he uses in his private plane. The seat has the option of a detachable lumbar cushion. This made a world of difference for me. I like it so much, I now use it in all my vehicles, in fact I sometimes set it on the hearth and use it when I sit by the fire and read the posts on this forum on my iPad. The cushion is made from memory foam and is expensive, but it is a lot cheaper than replacing the tinted windows.

I stand correct. Noted the video of the US and Canadian spec vehicles leaving port with privacy glass installed.
So as per Mazda, each country asks and they shall receive....
Also standard in the UK for the back windows.. Most probably to copy the Tiguan. It also helps keep the car cooler for rear occupants. Dark glass for the front windows isn't allowed for safety reasons.

Most all SUV's in the US are sold this way. Dark glass in the back (legal) and regular tints on the front

I will have no hesitation in flying to wherever I can find an untinted CX-5, and driving it back to Phoenix. I find tinted windows very depressing, so that would be a deal killer.

I will have no hesitation in flying to wherever I can find an untinted CX-5, and driving it back to Phoenix. I find tinted windows very depressing, so that would be a deal killer.

Maybe get a sunroof and the additional light would be less depressing?

Maita Mazda in Sacramento, Ca has a sport in metro gray with a 6 spd manual and no tint. I was planning on test driving this weekend. http://www.maitamazda.com/powersearch.cfm A funny thing about the tint, my daughter just moved from CA to Maryland. Before she was allowed to register her Mazda 3, all tint had to be removed, and it was a very mild tint.

The tint law in Maryland (from the state's website):

On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons:

All windows with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35% light transmittance.
Red, yellow, amber, and reflective window tint is prohibited.

On multipurpose vehicles, vans, and class “E” trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) equal to or less than 10,000 pounds:

Windows on the driver and right front passenger doors with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35% light transmittance. Red, yellow, amber, and reflective tint is prohibited on these windows.
All other windows can be tinted to any degree of darkness or color. However, reflective tint is prohibited.

The tint law in Maryland (from the state's website):

On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons:

All windows with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35% light transmittance.
Red, yellow, amber, and reflective window tint is prohibited.

Thanks for the tip. I am sure her light transmittance is much higher than required. It sounds like the shop doing the inspection was trying to make a fast buck. Unfortunately it's probably too late now.

Back