Keyless start - what is the point?

Kornik

:
CX-5 touring (on order)
After driving my CX-5 for few days I find this feature as one of the most cumbersome features of my Mazda. Can you guys explain to me what is the point of having keyless start if you have to use the fob to open and close the doors anyway?

I drove Charger for few days and there you could have the fob in your pocket or (as my wife did) a purse and leave it there forever. The car opened when you pulled the handle, you start the engine with button and thats it.

In Mazda I have to dig out the fob anyway (especially my wife complains about that), then you have to put it somewhere while you are driving and after you're done you have to find it again to close the car. So if I have to use it just before and just after I drove anyway I might as well put it in ignition - at least it's always in the same place.

Is the system not implemented the same way as it is on the 3? On our 2010 3 the keyless system also had a small button on the outside door handle. Never had to take the fob or keys out of my pocket. Just walk up to the car, grabb the handle (while pressing the button on the handle) and the doors would unlock.

They would also lock automatically when walking away from the car. Is there a small black, square button on the exterior door handle on your CX-5? I saw the image below on the CX-5 brochure that seems to show the unlock button on the outer door handle on models with the keyless start system.

DoorUnlock.jpg

Attachments

• DoorUnlock.PNG
    DoorUnlock.PNG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:
We have a 3 and to unlock/lock you press a button on the handle or back of the car. In my downloaded brochure (UK) it states 'Keyless' entry which I hope is similar to the 3.

Yeah when I heard smart key was separate from keyless start (available in tech package) I scratched my head as well. The biggest advantage of the smartkey is not having to pull the keys from your pocket. I guess it was one way of reducing cost. Also Mazda probably realized that many people are used to pulling the key out to unlock their doors. I doubt the decision was made in a vacuum.

Having the keys in your hand is a safety/security issue, especially women. The remote has the panic button that will cause the car alarm to go off when pressed.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the CX-5 only comes with the ignition disable feature. The alarm is an option. So does that mean there is no panic button or that it is disabled on non-alarm equipped cars? That would suck.. Also having a key fob without an actual key is also a disadvantage because you can't use the key as a weapon against an attacker. These self defense trainers are going to have to come up with new recommendations. Damn you, technology!

Last edited:
i didn't realize it was different. i assume this is for the non-technology package?

Advanced Keyless Entry vs Keyless Entry

I have the Touring w/ the tech package. It has the keyless entry, I think the GT tech package comes with the "advanced" keyless entry...the Touring Tech Package version does require you to use the fob and has no buttons on the door handles. Different from the version on the 3 that I had and the GT package apparently. I am like the OP and don't really see the point. Mazda cheaped out on this one IMHO.

Having the keys in your hand is a safety/security issue, especially women. The remote has the panic button that will cause the car alarm to go off when pressed.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the CX-5 only comes with the ignition disable feature. The alarm is an option. So does that mean there is no panic button or that it is disabled on non-alarm equipped cars? That would suck.. Also having a key fob without an actual key is also a disadvantage because you can't use the key as a weapon against an attacker. These self defense trainers are going to have to come up with new recommendations. Damn you, technology!
The fob has the panic button and it works without an alarm (unless somebody put alarm in my CX-5 without telling me so).

I have the Touring w/ the tech package. It has the keyless entry, I think the GT tech package comes with the "advanced" keyless entry...the Touring Tech Package version does require you to use the fob and has no buttons on the door handles. Different from the version on the 3 that I had and the GT package apparently. I am like the OP and don't really see the point. Mazda cheaped out on this one IMHO.
Yes, the advanced keyless entry comes only in GT+Tech version. All other versions will have push button start and regular keyless fob.

Very strange!! This is the first I've heard of this. I've just tested the GT model so didn't think anything of it.

they package it differently in au and us... In US it's sold only as an option to gt, in Au it comes as gt feature

At the risk of sounding dumb, is having a panic button on the remote and the remote in your handle a big plus? We have much better options for safety/security, especially here in Florida.

To me a panic button is a possibility to make annoying noises and major embarrassment.

At the risk of sounding dumb, is having a panic button on the remote and the remote in your handle a big plus? We have much better options for safety/security, especially here in Florida.

To me a panic button is a possibility to make annoying noises and major embarrassment.

That's the point of the panic button: "to make annoying noises" to attract attention to your situation and maybe dissuade the trouble maker from messing with you. Is it guaranteed? No, but it's good to have as an option. Or at least it can scare away the dog that's about to take a leak on your tires.

Just curious...what better options for safety/security do you know about? Please share.

You mean, like Guns? Yeah, you guys are getting pretty famous for your wild west "security" systems...

Yeah, bad example recently. But how many people really look at a car with an alarm going off and at that, how many do anything about it.

Gads. I love my CX7 touring system. I can unlock my vehicle from ~ 50 feet, get in, insert & twist key, and go. I don't need a manual to memorize how to get in and start my engine. :))

Back