PDA

View Full Version : Keyless start - what is the point?

Kornik
03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
After driving my CX-5 for few days I find this feature as one of the most cumbersome features of my Mazda. Can you guys explain to me what is the point of having keyless start if you have to use the fob to open and close the doors anyway?

I drove Charger for few days and there you could have the fob in your pocket or (as my wife did) a purse and leave it there forever. The car opened when you pulled the handle, you start the engine with button and thats it.

In Mazda I have to dig out the fob anyway (especially my wife complains about that), then you have to put it somewhere while you are driving and after you're done you have to find it again to close the car. So if I have to use it just before and just after I drove anyway I might as well put it in ignition - at least it's always in the same place.

rodslinger
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Is the system not implemented the same way as it is on the 3? On our 2010 3 the keyless system also had a small button on the outside door handle. Never had to take the fob or keys out of my pocket. Just walk up to the car, grabb the handle (while pressing the button on the handle) and the doors would unlock.

They would also lock automatically when walking away from the car. Is there a small black, square button on the exterior door handle on your CX-5? I saw the image below on the CX-5 brochure that seems to show the unlock button on the outer door handle on models with the keyless start system.

prhac
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
We have a 3 and to unlock/lock you press a button on the handle or back of the car. In my downloaded brochure (UK) it states 'Keyless' entry which I hope is similar to the 3.

Antonio DiMarco
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah when I heard smart key was separate from keyless start (available in tech package) I scratched my head as well. The biggest advantage of the smartkey is not having to pull the keys from your pocket. I guess it was one way of reducing cost. Also Mazda probably realized that many people are used to pulling the key out to unlock their doors. I doubt the decision was made in a vacuum.

hooked
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Having the keys in your hand is a safety/security issue, especially women. The remote has the panic button that will cause the car alarm to go off when pressed.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the CX-5 only comes with the ignition disable feature. The alarm is an option. So does that mean there is no panic button or that it is disabled on non-alarm equipped cars? That would suck.. Also having a key fob without an actual key is also a disadvantage because you can't use the key as a weapon against an attacker. These self defense trainers are going to have to come up with new recommendations. Damn you, technology!

wannabe
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
i didn't realize it was different. i assume this is for the non-technology package?

Antonio DiMarco
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes non-tech. Tech offers the whole enchilada.

dasayheykid
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes non-tech. Tech offers the whole enchilada.

Agreed..sounds like the OP has the Non tech with the remote keyless entry (key FOB).

Macdaddytn
03-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I have the Touring w/ the tech package. It has the keyless entry, I think the GT tech package comes with the "advanced" keyless entry...the Touring Tech Package version does require you to use the fob and has no buttons on the door handles. Different from the version on the 3 that I had and the GT package apparently. I am like the OP and don't really see the point. Mazda cheaped out on this one IMHO.

Kornik
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Having the keys in your hand is a safety/security issue, especially women. The remote has the panic button that will cause the car alarm to go off when pressed.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the CX-5 only comes with the ignition disable feature. The alarm is an option. So does that mean there is no panic button or that it is disabled on non-alarm equipped cars? That would suck.. Also having a key fob without an actual key is also a disadvantage because you can't use the key as a weapon against an attacker. These self defense trainers are going to have to come up with new recommendations. Damn you, technology!
The fob has the panic button and it works without an alarm (unless somebody put alarm in my CX-5 without telling me so).

Kornik
03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I have the Touring w/ the tech package. It has the keyless entry, I think the GT tech package comes with the "advanced" keyless entry...the Touring Tech Package version does require you to use the fob and has no buttons on the door handles. Different from the version on the 3 that I had and the GT package apparently. I am like the OP and don't really see the point. Mazda cheaped out on this one IMHO.
Yes, the advanced keyless entry comes only in GT+Tech version. All other versions will have push button start and regular keyless fob.

inodes
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Very strange!! This is the first I've heard of this. I've just tested the GT model so didn't think anything of it.

cptkloss
03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
they package it differently in au and us... In US it's sold only as an option to gt, in Au it comes as gt feature

hooked
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
The fob has the panic button and it works without an alarm (unless somebody put alarm in my CX-5 without telling me so).

That's good to know. Thanks.

yetti96
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
At the risk of sounding dumb, is having a panic button on the remote and the remote in your handle a big plus? We have much better options for safety/security, especially here in Florida.

To me a panic button is a possibility to make annoying noises and major embarrassment.

hooked
03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb, is having a panic button on the remote and the remote in your handle a big plus? We have much better options for safety/security, especially here in Florida.

To me a panic button is a possibility to make annoying noises and major embarrassment.

That's the point of the panic button: "to make annoying noises" to attract attention to your situation and maybe dissuade the trouble maker from messing with you. Is it guaranteed? No, but it's good to have as an option. Or at least it can scare away the dog that's about to take a leak on your tires.

Just curious...what better options for safety/security do you know about? Please share.

Modshack
03-24-2012, 12:35 PM
We have much better options for safety/security, especially here in Florida.

You mean, like Guns? Yeah, you guys are getting pretty famous for your wild west "security" systems...

hooked
03-24-2012, 02:47 PM
That's right. Shoot first and ask questions later! ;)

yetti96
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
You mean, like Guns? Yeah, you guys are getting pretty famous for your wild west "security" systems...

Yeah, bad example recently. But how many people really look at a car with an alarm going off and at that, how many do anything about it.

erhayes
03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Gads. I love my CX7 touring system. I can unlock my vehicle from ~ 50 feet, get in, insert & twist key, and go. I don't need a manual to memorize how to get in and start my engine. :-))

hooked
03-27-2012, 11:32 AM
It's been a bit of an adjustment for me and my Grand Touring. I have the keyless start but not the keyless entry. I have to use the keyfob to unlock the doors and remember to put the keys back in my pocket or else I end up putting them in the middle cup holders once I've sat down. I put my foot on the brake and push the start button. Once I'm at my destination, I push the button again to stop and then have to find the keys again (in the cupholder or my pocket) to lock the doors. The other day, I went to pick up my kid at a friend's house and didn't bother to lock the doors since I was just running in to get her, but then I realized I had left them in the cupholder, so I had to go back and get them.

With a key to start the ignition, you always have the keys in your hand when you need them whether you're starting or stopping. I guess I should have opted for the advanced keyless entry. That being said, I'm sure I will get used to the process and using the key will probably become the more inconvenient method.

Kornik
03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
It's been a bit of an adjustment for me and my Grand Touring. I have the keyless start but not the keyless entry. I have to use the keyfob to unlock the doors and remember to put the keys back in my pocket or else I end up putting them in the middle cup holders once I've sat down. I put my foot on the brake and push the start button. Once I'm at my destination, I push the button again to stop and then have to find the keys again (in the cupholder or my pocket) to lock the doors. The other day, I went to pick up my kid at a friend's house and didn't bother to lock the doors since I was just running in to get her, but then I realized I had left them in the cupholder, so I had to go back and get them.

With a key to start the ignition, you always have the keys in your hand when you need them whether you're starting or stopping. I guess I should have opted for the advanced keyless entry. That being said, I'm sure I will get used to the process and using the key will probably become the more inconvenient method.
Your experience exactly mimics mine - I too have trouble keeping the fob consistently in one place during ride (same here - either pocket or cup holder).
My wife though figured out her own way to deal with it:
1. She unlocks the doors with key fob and puts it immediately back in her hand bag.
2. Then she starts and stops the car using push button
3. Here is the kicker - when she leaves the car she locks it using the button on the driver's door - no need o pull the fob out of the bag.
Works great for her, and I actually started adopting it (with the exception that I just put it back in the pocket).

It would be interesting to get ahold of wiring diagrams to see how the systems actually differs (e.g. what else other than different door handles).

hooked
03-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Kornik,

The potential problem with your (and your wife's) plan is what happens if one time you forgot to put the keys in your pocket and leave them in the cupholder, then you lock the door as usual? Or your wife is just running in somewhere and leaves her purse in the car? It will never happen 99% of the time, but that 1% sure could ruin your day!

I am surprised that there is not a lockout prevention feature on the driver's door. I'm used to Hondas where you have to do some gyrations to lock the driver's door without using the remote or the key.

sami1228
04-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Many times the panic button on my previous cars have helped locate the vehicle for my wife when she drives to the mall and forgets where she parked... lol

hooked
04-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Many times the panic button on my previous cars have helped locate the vehicle for my wife when she drives to the mall and forgets where she parked... lol

Good one!

jsp
04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I like my push start, but it makes you wish you have the full thing each time :) Thanks for the tip on locking the doors from the buttons on the car when exiting, sounds like a good plan.

BTW, the panic is available even on the Intelligent key system, at least here...

mazdadude
04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

ARGH!!! I agree guys, it is annoying. If I would have known, I would have liked to have gotten the TECHNOLOGY Package.

I would like to update to the advanced keyless entry... Anybody think that it might be possible? Is it just a door handle swap, and another module you can add?

GAXIBM
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Solved the concern of locking your keys in the car by using the lock button on the door to lock on exit. Went to Home Depow, copied the key in the keyfob and bought a magnetic box to hold it. Found a spot outside the car to place it out of the airstream. So if we accidently lock the key in the car we can open the door. Now I only take the key out of my pocket to unlock the door and use the door button to lock on exit...

hooked
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Solved the concern of locking your keys in the car by using the lock button on the door to lock on exit. Went to Home Depow, copied the key in the keyfob and bought a magnetic box to hold it. Found a spot outside the car to place it out of the airstream. So if we accidently lock the key in the car we can open the door. Now I only take the key out of my pocket to unlock the door and use the door button to lock on exit...

Great idea! Now which city in Georgia do you live? ;-)

CX-SV
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, bad example recently. But how many people really look at a car with an alarm going off and at that, how many do anything about it.

The only person most likely to respond is the owner of the car in question if he's within hearing range.

gdbarckley
04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
ARGH!!! I agree guys, it is annoying. If I would have known, I would have liked to have gotten the TECHNOLOGY Package.

I would like to update to the advanced keyless entry... Anybody think that it might be possible? Is it just a door handle swap, and another module you can add?

i am looking for the same thing let us know if you find out

geocord
04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Keyless entry fobs have had panic buttons on them for years. I've got them on all of my three vehicles and probably have set it off by mistake once or twice in the last ten years. Not a major life concern.

The only advantage I can see of having the push button start but without the advanced system is that you can unlock your car and put the key back in your pocket which then leaves your hands free to open the door, etc. Not much of a plus I agree but it was probably cheaper to just put the push button start on all the vehicles. It's not really a hassle as we are used to remote key fobs already so I don't see what the problem is.

Lando
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
it was probably cheaper to just put the push button start on all the vehicles.

Bingo! This has got to be less expensive than a steering wheel interlock switch and much cheaper to replace when they go bad.

inodes
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Bingo! This has got to be less expensive than a steering wheel interlock switch and much cheaper to replace when they go bad.

Very likely.

15 years ago, electric windows were an option.
But these days mass production lends itself to enabling electric windows to be cheaper as a single install across the board than providing wind up windows; an option that to the consumer, appears as if it would be cheaper.

In 5 years, nearly all cars will be keyless for a similar reason.

CX-SV
05-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Yes, very likely and in US market, expected standard equipment includes power steering, power windows, power door locks and air conditioning, soon enough keyless systems too.

Mannix143
08-24-2012, 04:12 AM
i am looking for the same thing let us know if you find out

same here, looking if i can purchase it and have it installed.

CX-SV
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Standard on all Lexus models, maybe for that reason.

IHeartGroceries
08-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Your experience exactly mimics mine - I too have trouble keeping the fob consistently in one place during ride (same here - either pocket or cup holder).
My wife though figured out her own way to deal with it:
1. She unlocks the doors with key fob and puts it immediately back in her hand bag.
2. Then she starts and stops the car using push button
3. Here is the kicker - when she leaves the car she locks it using the button on the driver's door - no need o pull the fob out of the bag.
Works great for her, and I actually started adopting it (with the exception that I just put it back in the pocket).

It would be interesting to get ahold of wiring diagrams to see how the systems actually differs (e.g. what else other than different door handles).

This is the technique I use. My wife chooses to just lock the fob in the car.

I also can't believe there's no lockout function. But, what really blows my mind is how idiotic this feature truly is without having the smart key function (autounlock). I have the tech package and sound package on my Touring and I still have to remove the fob from my pocket just to unlock the car. It's moronic.

Yeldarb
08-31-2012, 05:36 AM
Test drove a CX-5 GT here in Brisbane, Australia. After reading all of these comments I was worried. But shouldn't have been. It's the same Keyless Entry entry system as my 2010 MPS3 (Mazdaspeed3). Key stays in the pocket the whole time. I dohbt the wife has seen her keys in months, they constantly live in the bottem of her handbag.

This system isnt the future, it should be standard on many cars. Can't understand why MAzda makes these kind of decisions, paying for the privilige to have a common sence key system...

thanks for the info guys.

mobius120487
08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Subbing, want to hear bout a way to fix the touring to advanced keyless entry

teradyl
09-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I've been doing some research on this, since I just got a Touring and it's quite annoying. I first saw the push button start and was surprised to see that the "advanced" keyless entry wasn't on all the models. As one post here said though, it makes sense that it was cheaper to put a push button start in all the vehicles.

I was reading the manual though, and I've found out there are a few key differences in the cars too. The advanced keyless entry cars have many sensors in the car that look for the nfc chip in your fob, which can apparently sense if you're around the drivers door, near the trunk, as well as inside the car. All the other cars (mine included) just have ONE sensor in the middle of the car that just see if the fob is inside the car or not so you can start it. In the manual check pages 3-7 to 3-12 to see the details.

Other than that there's of course the door handle problem, you need a handle with the button on it. I tested a grand touring and it seemed that it didn't even have the touch sensor anyway, you had to push the button on the door to unlock it if you had the key on your person, but that's still a ton better than having to fish for it once and remembering to put it back in your pocket so you don't lose it in the car somewhere.

My family has had a few prius cars before, and IMO those implement the system perfectly. I had one from 2005 where it was flawless. All I had to do was open the door and it would unlock a split second before I pulled the handle without me having to hesitate or wait for it. They also have a slot in the car to put the key fob so you don't lose track of it if you're used to that, which wasn't necessary then, but is for us since we need to use it to unlock the doors anyway!

Anyway, because of these vital differences I don't know if it will ever be possible to rig an advanced keyless entry system on a car that didn't come with it, unfortunately. Anyway have any ideas?

Sigh on mazda cutting costs...

CX-SV
09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Toyota and Lexus have a nice keyless system. But it's standard on all Lexus (they are all expensive premium cars, I have one) and not standard on all Toyota cars that compete more directly with Mazda products. It's optional on some Mercedes models in US also (all are premium models, we don't A and B class here and the Smart car is not sold as a Mercedes). Unfortunately this kind of cost cutting is necessary to hit price points in a competetive segment.

VanlaarM
02-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Yes, I was thinking of doing something similar. Could you tell me the brand of magnetic box you used? It would be a big help. I also thought of adding Velcro to the key fob and a place near the button so I consistently put the key in the same spot each time.

Just to add to this....I absolutely love my CX5, but this is such a dumb feature. It's a case of adding something "techy" without completely thinking it through. Realllllyyyy annoying.

darekd
02-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Yes, I was thinking of doing something similar. Could you tell me the brand of magnetic box you used? It would be a big help. I also thought of adding Velcro to the key fob and a place near the button so I consistently put the key in the same spot each time.

Just to add to this....I absolutely love my CX5, but this is such a dumb feature. It's a case of adding something "techy" without completely thinking it through. Realllllyyyy annoying.

Solved this problem long time ago. I just don't use lock button on the door. I've always used key fob before I got my CX-5.

VanlaarM
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Solved this problem long time ago. I just don't use lock button on the door. I've always used key fob before I got my CX-5.

How did you solve? Using Velcro ?

VanlaarM
02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Never mind. I understand what you meant. My issue is I want a consistent spot to put the keys. I wish they at least gave you the option to start with a key.

GAXIBM
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes, I was thinking of doing something similar. Could you tell me the brand of magnetic box you used? It would be a big help.

I don't know the box brand but got it at Home Deopw. Since I have gotten used to it I just put my hand in my pocket and press the button closest to the key loop to unlock the car and use the door button when exiting the car so it works good for me, my fob never comes out of my pocket until I get to my house door.

VanlaarM
02-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Since I have gotten used to it I just put my hand in my pocket and press the button closest to the key loop to unlock the car and use the door button when exiting the car so it works good for me, my fob never comes out of my pocket until I get to my house door.

Yeah, hopefully I'll just get used to it and do it the way you just explained. Thanks for sharing your tips.

chinq6t
02-22-2013, 11:50 PM
I wish the advance keyless entry would allow the doors to unlock when the handle is pulled.

CX-SV
02-23-2013, 01:12 AM
I wish the advance keyless entry would allow the doors to unlock when the handle is pulled.

On CX-5 I push black button on door handle to unlock.

On Lexus it unlocks when you slip hand under door handle, it's really not much faster or that much more efficient.

jeisensc
03-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I've been doing some research on this, since I just got a Touring and it's quite annoying. I first saw the push button start and was surprised to see that the "advanced" keyless entry wasn't on all the models. As one post here said though, it makes sense that it was cheaper to put a push button start in all the vehicles.

I was reading the manual though, and I've found out there are a few key differences in the cars too. The advanced keyless entry cars have many sensors in the car that look for the nfc chip in your fob, which can apparently sense if you're around the drivers door, near the trunk, as well as inside the car. All the other cars (mine included) just have ONE sensor in the middle of the car that just see if the fob is inside the car or not so you can start it. In the manual check pages 3-7 to 3-12 to see the details.

I've had the GT since May 2012, and just to clear a few things up:
* like the smart key in the 2010 (and later) Mazda3, you can't lock the fob in the car
* the "Advanced" smart key in the CX-5 is riddled with bugs. From December 17 to Feb 4 I logged them (http://www.cxfail.com/2012/12/technology-package-malfunctions.html): 31 times the "Walk-away" lock feature failed, and at least 3 times I had other Smart-key failures (e.g. the time the doors were locked, I pressed the unlock button on the driver door, and the doors locked, repeat 8 times with 10-20 seconds between before finally pulling the FOB out)
* the proximity sensors around the car mostly work, but sometimes don't (you should be able to unlock the passenger door and walk around the car to driver without the doors auto re-locking if you have that feature turned on

It's all controllable though the NB1 touch screen, and what the manual says it does it worth the money, but the implementation is total rubbish (where in my 2010 Mazda3 it all mostly worked).

Kayger12
03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
^No issues with my 2014 yet.

jeisensc
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
^No issues with my 2014 yet.

Good to know. What are your Smart Key settings?

Geoff
03-14-2013, 04:18 AM
* the proximity sensors around the car mostly work, but sometimes don't (you should be able to unlock the passenger door and walk around the car to driver without the doors auto re-locking if you have that feature turned on.

I have the walk away autolock feature turned on, if I unlock the passenger door and walk around the front of the car the car doors will lock, if I walk around the back of the car the doors will remain unlocked. I understand the reason for this to be the location of the proximity sensors. There are sensors at each side and the rear, nut not at the front.

I also have had a few instances where the walk away lock does not activate, which is a big issue. I now always walk away backwards, allowing me to watch the car to ensure the indicators flash to signal that the car is locked. I could turn the audible warning (beep) up, but I prefer to keep it at the low volume.

MATR6
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I have the walk away autolock feature turned on, if I unlock the passenger door and walk around the front of the car the car doors will lock, if I walk around the back of the car the doors will remain unlocked. I understand the reason for this to be the location of the proximity sensors. There are sensors at each side and the rear, nut not at the front.

I also have had a few instances where the walk away lock does not activate, which is a big issue. I now always walk away backwards, allowing me to watch the car to ensure the indicators flash to signal that the car is locked. I could turn the audible warning (beep) up, but I prefer to keep it at the low volume.
It also depends on how long you take to leave the car.
I noticed if we take longer than the 90 sec setting for auto lock setting, the car doesn't auto lock.

Zeal Red
03-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I had a similar issue with my 2010 Mazda 3 where I would walk away but it never locked. What I started doing with it and now with my CX-5 is close the door and stand for a second or two and it locks. Has not failed in 2+ weeks of ownership.

tobeychris
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
I have the 2014 GT + Tech as well and have noticed that it doesn't always lock.

One of the main factors I have noticed is that if I get out of the car before everyone else, and passenger or rear doors are still open, it will not lock after they are closed.

Geoff
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I had a similar issue with my 2010 Mazda 3 where I would walk away but it never locked. What I started doing with it and now with my CX-5 is close the door and stand for a second or two and it locks. Has not failed in 2+ weeks of ownership.

Rather than standing and waiting I would just press the button on the door handle which then locks the doors.

jeisensc
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Interesting, the walk away locks in my 2010 Mazda3 seemed to work all the time. I've tried waiting like you, but don't always get the first chirp. If I walk way without a chirp and come back to check, it hasn't locked. I basically just walk away, and if it doesn't lock I use the FOB and tell Siri to add a new note so I can add it to my spreadsheet of shame.

Fish64
03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I have had similar experiences where sometimes it does not lock, and it is set to lock on walk-away. I found that if I am in a hurry (cold, rainy), I will be walking away while I swing the door closed, almost backhanded (the wide plastic on the side of the door is great for this). That means that by the time the door actually closes, I am already a few feet away from the vehicle, out of range of the sensor. So, if I take my time, no issues. When I am in a hurry, I always remember to use the fob, just in case.

Gio26NJ
03-14-2013, 08:18 PM
You have to be within the range of the sensors when all doors are closed, the most annoying is when you have passengers. You cannot just walk away lol you need to wait for everyone to get out and close their doors and then walk away last or make sure you're the last one out everytime :D

jeisensc
03-18-2013, 12:39 AM
You have to be within the range of the sensors when all doors are closed, the most annoying is when you have passengers. You cannot just walk away lol you need to wait for everyone to get out and close their doors and then walk away last or make sure you're the last one out everytime :D

That would be annoying, but not more annoying than when you are almost always the only person in the car, you use them as prescribed, and they fail at least 30% of the time.

Zeal Red
03-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Rather than standing and waiting I would just press the button on the door handle which then locks the doors.

When I close the door I am not sprinting away unless as stated earlier, a torrential downpour of sorts. One second or 2 I am still near the car to lock.

jeisensc
03-18-2013, 12:59 AM
When I close the door I am not sprinting away unless as stated earlier, a torrential downpour of sorts. One second or 2 I am still near the car to lock.

In my experience, if you don't hear the first beep when you are outside the car and close the last door, the walk away locks are not going to engage. If it beeps, I start walking; if not, I either grab the fob or press the button on the door and ask Siri to add a new note...