CX5 towing numbers Australia vs USA

:
New Jersey
Edmunds reports the USA 4 cyl gasser tow rating is 2000 lbs
Mazda Austrialia rates both the diesel and gasser at 1800 kg or over 3900 lbs
What gives? I tow two waverunners, with trailer comes in a little over 2000 lbs, with my 08 pilot. do you think i can tow them with diesel CX5?
Wheelbases for Pilot and Mazda are identical at 106".

I'd appreciate any info. Rick

do you guys (who have the tow package) know if the trailer receiver hitch can fit the standard Yakima/Thule hitch mounts??

In Australia manufacturers must provide two towing weights:

1. Braked
2. Unbraked

For the Mazda CX-5 the towing weights are the same for both the petrol and diesel versions (although Mazda is saying without a doubt - the diesel is far more capable).

The figures are:

1. Braked: 1800kg (3968lbs)
2. Unbraked: 750kg (1653lbs)

The vehicles would be very similar between the two countries. We also use very similar octane fuel in the petrol version.
So I would take the Australian figures of a braked trailer as correct (as long as brakes were used on the trailer).

Last edited:
inodes, i drove the cx5 today in usa and the parts guy told me there is only a class A hitch option for our cx5. are you guys able to purchase a "legitimate" class 3 hitch in Australia?
this is a deal breaker if i can't install a proper hitch.
/rl

inodes, i drove the cx5 today in usa and the parts guy told me there is only a class A hitch option for our cx5. are you guys able to purchase a "legitimate" class 3 hitch in Australia?
this is a deal breaker if i can't install a proper hitch.
/rl

Not sure of the variances that would determine class 3 in Australia.
But there is information (and a video) for the Australian tow bar at:
http://www.mazda.com.au/vehicles/cx-5/accessories

wow, it says the hitch can handle the 1800 kgs but i'm still not sure where it ties to the frame. thanks very much for the link.

do you guys (who have the tow package) know if the trailer receiver hitch can fit the standard Yakima/Thule hitch mounts??

the weight limit of the tongue is 200lbs...with the yakima/thule hitch mounts e.g. say the 2 bike yakima holdup (http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/holdup-1-14) ...that's 49lbs...so you're left with 151lbs of weight to throw on the back. most bikes weigh in around 20-30lbs, so you should be fine. the only worry is when any idiots (personal experience) try to stand on the back cos they think it can support them...then it's gonna be rather scary.

even with the heavier cargo boxes...for example the thule 665C transporter ( http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Cargo-Carriers/HitchCargo/665C-Transporter-Combi ) which is 55lbs, you're still left with 145lbs of "stuff" to add...which is quite a fair amount...again..only problem is with people who aren't as aware as you would be and who start messing around...e.g...climbing into boxes....again...personal experience...sigh...

end of the day...it's really how much of a buffer you'd feel comfortable with. i've always gone with minimum class II hitches because they have a 350lb limit...so even with a recent snowboarding trip i was on, i only maxed out at 150lbs with a 200lb buffer. i'm a little more conservative than most...

Just noticed that the Tiguan also has a reduced towing capacity in NA. 4000lbs everywhere, but 2200 in America.

What gives
In UK, the Tiguan (I have one and am trading it in for a CX5) has a range of towing weights depending on the engine. They are from 4000lb (approx) for the gas/petrol and lower powered diesel to 4850lb for the higher powered diesel. The Tiguan has one of the highest towing weights for the size of vehicle. It does not make sense why yours is set at just 2200lb - you would think it should be around that value in kg (?)

Just noticed that the Tiguan also has a reduced towing capacity in NA. 4000lbs everywhere, but 2200 in America.

What gives

lol... this is an interesting question, i'd like to see an "official" anwser to it... in the meantime, i have found this on honda forum:

"This is probably because Americans are HUGE people. Honda USA was probably factoring in the towing capacity WITH the payload. If you drag 1500 pounds off the back, but you've got 4 250-lb Americans inside the car, that little 2.4 liter is gonna be strugglin"

according to your theory, you're still leaving 800 lbs on the table. [personally down to 213 today since Christmas(drinks)]

After a bit of searching, these are some suggestions...

1) "Most countires in Europe used to give two weights, one for a braked and one for an unbraked trailer. The high weights you read refer to a braked trailer. Given that in North America people rarely run with breaked trailers, and if they do they often have poorly set-up and maintained systems, coupled with liability concerns, encourages manufacturers to give lower weights...
"
2) "Thing is in America they have lots of proper towing vehicles like big pick ups, they also mostly use electric brakes controled by the towing vehicle whereas we have overrun brakes they also tow at higher speeds than we do they also have the most superb horse trailers..."

3)" In the US trailers are designed to put 10-15% of their weight on hitch. IIRC, in Europe the trailers are designed to place far less on the hitch. Hence, when you look up the towing capacity of a VW Passat with the European hitch installed you find a rating of around 4500lbs. However, if you look you’ll probably also find that you must limit the tongue weight on the hitch to around 180 lbs. Now, if you use that hitch with US trailers you’ll be limited to a trailer of no more than roughly 1000-1500 lbs. Anything heavier than that will load too much weight on the hitch. Dddly enough, that is right around what the max towing capacity is on most US passenger cars."

im from montreal what usa owner are doing if they towing what is th emax towing capacity with brake trailler is it the same ? because 2000lbs seem really low for the hp and the 2.5l in uk it say 1800kg its the double from american/canadian version what is the difference
thank you
ps : did someone tried tow a tent trailer (pop up trailer) with is cx5 and what whats the weight of the trailer basic weight and fully loaded

I looked but can't find, a picture of the euro spec oem hitch (unmounted, or at least a picture taken of it from the ground mounted). I would like to see how it connects to the frame compared to the American oem/curt hitches. If anyone has a euro/aus version and would take a picture of it from the bottom rear that would be cool.

Back