Future noob owners

My wife and I just put money down on a new CX-5 that is on a truck somewhere, due in sometime over the next few weeks (dunno)
We have chosen a Touring model with the Bose/sunroof option (for her) and the Tech Package (for me).

We are in the process of downsizing our family vehicles. I recently traded in a 2010 Challenger R/T for a new Ford Ranger for greater utility, and now my wife wants a more efficient SUV than our Saturn Vue. We have looked at everything from Rav4s to Outlanders and the CX-5 seems to give us the best combination of mileage, handling, options and appearance to suit our needs. We test drove one last week and the acceleration was sufficient to keep my wife happy (her nickname is zoom-zoom), so all we need is to have it get here sometime soon.

My step son already owns a 2011 Mazda 3 so we are happy with the service and the brands. Hope to have the new addition to the family in a few weeks, but in the meantime I have been researching all I can find on the web. Aside from complaints on weak acceleration, all of the reviews have been positive, so I think we have made a good choice.

Congrats on the purchase.

Being an owner myself, I'd like to comment on the weak acceleration. The only time I ever noticed she was a little sluggish was the one time we went to Ikea and loaded her up good. There were 4 of us in the car as well.
Otherwise, it's not really noticeable.

Congrats on the purchase.

Being an owner myself, I'd like to comment on the weak acceleration. The only time I ever noticed she was a little sluggish was the one time we went to Ikea and loaded her up good. There were 4 of us in the car as well.
Otherwise, it's not really noticeable.

LOL! You had four people in the car? What did you buy at Ikea? 100lbs of meatballs? What other boxes would fit in the back with a full passenger cabin? ;-)

I also plan to buy one. I'll be dumping a 16 year old mini-van. Got my money out of that one..

Goodbye dripping oil..hello zoom**2

I'm still considering one... but on the fence as to whether or not I should wait for a: confirmation that the diesel is coming or not, b:the manual to be available in at least the Touring trim level, or c: the dealers to have more than one or two in stock. The last dealer I went to said they were down to one, had 3 en route, and should have 7 more arriving in mid April. I'm not in any sort of rush, so I can wait it out... but the more and more and stop and look at one, the more I want it. ;-) Even the wife said she'd stop bugging me for an Edge.

LOL! You had four people in the car? What did you buy at Ikea? 100lbs of meatballs? What other boxes would fit in the back with a full passenger cabin? ;-)

Nah, no meatballs :) We had 5 Expedit drawer inserts and quite a few blue Ikea bags filled with sh*t from the marketplace. I *hate* Ikea, btw.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my wife was the one who drove on the test drive (it is supposed to be HER car). The salesperson did let out a few WHOOPS when my wife was pulling away from stop lights, so I guess it will be fast enough for her. To be honest though, I am looking forward to the new vehicle. Aside from gas savings it was a fairly comfortable CUV and there should be enough bells and whistles to keep me happy too.

I keep reading all these reviews all over the internet of it being slow, even some calling it 'dangerously' slow in some cases.... what are these people driving? The one I drove was quick off the line, by no means fast, and accelerated into traffic just fine with the AC on and 3 people in the car. With 0-60 times around 9 seconds, its no turtle AND there are plenty of slower cars on the road.

That said... I think I'd still like the torque of the diesel. Test driving a Golf TDI had me wanting a Tiguan TDI if/when VWoA ever decides to offer that combination, but overall I like the CX-5 a lot more.

I'm still considering one... but on the fence as to whether or not I should wait for a: confirmation that the diesel is coming or not, b:the manual to be available in at least the Touring trim level, or c: the dealers to have more than one or two in stock. The last dealer I went to said they were down to one, had 3 en route, and should have 7 more arriving in mid April. I'm not in any sort of rush, so I can wait it out... but the more and more and stop and look at one, the more I want it. ;-) Even the wife said she'd stop bugging me for an Edge.

a) Hope US/Canada get diesel soon. I'm yet to test it compared to petrol, but media here is saying it's night and day. Diesel pumps out petrol's max torque at 1000rpm (petrol punches its max at 4000rpm)
b) Only market getting MT in that trim is UK. It's a market that turns its nose up at AT.
c) With a lot of markets selling well above their expectations, stock is going to start to dry. An example of under estimation: In Japan Mazda has sold as many CX-5's in February as they expected to sell in 8 months. 75% of those have been diesel (they expected only 10% to be diesel at first). Obviously that would be holding things up.

Regarding diesel, this review sums it up:
http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2011/small-4x4/mazda/cx5/mazda-cx5-prototype-drive-26463

The SKYACTIV-D turbodiesel engine we also drove at Reykjvarik displaces 2.2 litres and pumps out 129kW at 4500rpm and 420Nm at 2000rpm.
It is a twin-turbo unit that revs beyond 5000rpm with some gusto -- remarkable for a diesel. It's not short of low down power or torque, however, and in this respect is perhaps the most sporting diesel powerplant we've experienced.

Last edited:
I keep reading all these reviews all over the internet of it being slow, even some calling it 'dangerously' slow in some cases.... what are these people driving? The one I drove was quick off the line, by no means fast, and accelerated into traffic just fine with the AC on and 3 people in the car. With 0-60 times around 9 seconds, its no turtle AND there are plenty of slower cars on the road.

That said... I think I'd still like the torque of the diesel. Test driving a Golf TDI had me wanting a Tiguan TDI if/when VWoA ever decides to offer that combination, but overall I like the CX-5 a lot more.

The CX5 has been far from "Dangerous" when accelerating. Over the weekend, I was merging on to the highway, had this dude in a Benz boxing me in, preventing me from merging. So I gave the CX5 some gas and had more than enough time to overtake and merge safely. I was really impressed with the acceleration in that case.

From the dead stop, it can be a little slow, but it's a small SUV, not a BMW X5. For a 4cyl 2.0 liter engine, it gets you to where you want to be pretty quickly.

From the dead stop, it can be a little slow, but it's a small SUV, not a BMW X5. For a 4cyl 2.0 liter engine, it gets you to where you want to be pretty quickly.

Well put. Its not a drag car. The Kia Sportage was much quicker off the line thanks to the turbo, but gets 'scarey' in the corners. The CX-5 felt MUCH flatter around bends and ramps, and displayed very little body roll during a quick lane change I had to make (scared the salesperson a bit, but she was ok. ;-)) There are always going to be tradeoffs.

Just wait about a year and you'll have your confirmation. The diesel mill WILL be arriving sometime next year...whether or not it is in the Mazda 6 or the CX-5, is another question.

Back