Rear view camera operation?

Vision67

For those of you who have a CX-5 with the rear view camera, a few questions:

1. Does it work only with the car in reverse?
2. Is the image focal length adjustable, i.e. can it be zoomed?
3. Does it look down at the roadway when backing up?

Inquiring minds need to know...

1. Yes
2. No
3. Not sure what you mean by "look down." The image of what's behind the vehicle has a multi-colored grid overlaid on it, with green/yellow/red gridlines indicating relatively closer distance to any object behind the vehicle as you back up. The camera doesn't pan or change where it focuses.

Is the camera good enough for you to see how close you are to a another cars front bumper? Would a rear back up sensor be over kill?

I believe it was mentioned in another thread that the rear back up sensors and the audio cues are still helpful in addition to the backup camera. My current minivan has the audible cues and yellow/red LEDs that are visible in the rearview mirror when backing up and I almost prefer this to the camera because you still have to look around to make sure things are clear. With the camera alone, you might tend to hyper-focus on the screen and not notice things that might be to the sides as well. I have to admit, that I might be a bit too reliant on the beeps too, because when I drive my Honda without it, I really have to make sure that I'm careful when backing out.

Camera is fairly standard. It's certainly not as fancy as the cameras on the CR-V for example. The lines don't turned either with the wheel (like Lexus for example). But it's sufficient.
The sensors are very good though. They a directional aware in the Australian spec Grand Tourer I tried out. And better still, the front and back sensors have varied sounds and send their noise to different speakers in the car depending on which sensor is working (high pitch for front sensors in the front speakers, low pitch for the rear in the rear speakers).
In Australia, the reverse camera is standard on all models. The parking sensors (front and back) are standard on the GT.

Japan gets an additional feature of wing mirror cameras, which can see from the front to the rear along the entire side closest to the gutter (which for Japan is the left side obviously). This image appears in the rear vision mirror. This feature is in addition to the reversing camera.

Last edited:
Personally, I love the camera and the lines (side lines, then 3 rear lines Y/Y/R) helps you get in the right spot easily and choose appropriate distance. You also see the bumper in the camera.

For those who are interested, the parking sensors are not available at all in Canada, just the backup camera available starting on the GS Trim (equiv to Touring).

Last edited:
Personally, I love the camera and the lines (side lines, then 3 rear lines Y/Y/R) helps you get in the right spot easily and choose appropriate distance. You also see the bumper in the camera.

For those who are interested, the parking sensors are not available at all in Canada, just the backup camera available starting on the GS Trim (equiv to Touring).
Agreed! We love the camera!

Parking sensors are not in U.S. either. I have only seen them on INODES new CX-5 in AUSTRALIA.

Is the camera good enough for you to see how close you are to a another cars front bumper? Would a rear back up sensor be over kill?

The closest (Red) line shown in the back-up cam is roughly 1.5 feet from the bumper to whatever reference you use on the ground. Seems pretty good to me once you know the references..

It'll take a few tests to figure out your comfort zone for the "red zone". When I first tried a back-in parking job, I stopped right as the curb entered the red zone. When I got out and checked, the car was still a good ways away from the curb. As Modshack stated, it was probably about 18", so you'll have to gauge how far into the red zone you are comfortable going, but you don't have to stop right away.

It'll take a few tests to figure out your comfort zone for the "red zone". When I first tried a back-in parking job, I stopped right as the curb entered the red zone.

I've trained my wife, when pulling into the garage, to drop it in reverse and align the red line with a cut in the concrete just outside the door... Door shuts, doesn't hit the car and we're all happy!...

Japan gets an additional feature of wing mirror cameras, which can see from the front to the rear along the entire side closest to the gutter (which for Japan is the left side obviously). This image appears in the rear vision mirror. This feature is in addition to the reversing camera.

Damn. Wish I had that feature for my CX-5 here in Canada. Would give me pece of mind when parking by a curb. Scuffing rims are never fun.

I've trained my wife, when pulling into the garage, to drop it in reverse and align the red line with a cut in the concrete just outside the door... Door shuts, doesn't hit the car and we're all happy!...

We use the caveman method...a piece of 2x4 to stop the tire.

Damn. Wish I had that feature for my CX-5 here in Canada. Would give me pece of mind when parking by a curb. Scuffing rims are never fun.

The reverse camera is standard on all CX-5's in Australia and Japan (and possibly Europe). SUV's don't sell without a camera in at least the Australian market these days. Curious as to why Canada doesn't think the same. Canada and Australia are so similar in many ways.

The side lines are also useful. They mark where the gutter (curb) is, and it does go a long way to preventing alloy damage.

The side lines are also useful. They mark where the gutter (curb) is, and it does go a long way to preventing alloy damage.

I agree the side lines on the reverse cam helps you position so you don't hit the rims on the sidewalk or back into a tight parking spot, if you clear the lines you fit in.

The rear camera is very good and useful in the CX-5, slightly better than the camera in my Lexus.

Not to offend anyone. I love the technology and all that is going into our vehicles but whatever happened to driving the old fashioned way? Like using your mirrors and turning around to back up. Like what happens if you are pulling a trailer and need to back up. What do the sensors and camera do when there is something there that moves with the vehicle?

The old fashioned way works fine, but it misses an area 2 feet behind bumper where a small child might be crushed to death. The camera enhances the view out back and adds visibility. Turning to look back and using mirrors is not eliminated, the camera just adds additional visiblity. 99% of CX-5's do not have a hitch and therefore cannot tow, not applicable.

Thank you for the clarification on the camera. The towing question was kinda a general inquiry into back up camera systems/senors really. I have never used one but I pull a trailer regularly for work and was just wondering how the tech would work with something there.

No problem. Glad I could clarify. My CX-5 and Lexus have a rear cameras and they do increase safety even for a careful driver like me that uses mirrors and is not too lazy to turn head.

I previously had a 07Ford Explorer with no sensors and no rear camera. The area 2 feet behind rear bumper was largely invisible by looking back and/or using mirrors, it was dangerous. It's just a matter of time before rear cameras are required in the US for SUV's with the goal of a fewer injured or dead kids, not to mention less property damage.

I've towed boats before rear cameras were common. Now most motor homes have rear cameras. I've been told (but never tried it) that a camera is useful in backing up and getting hitch close to trailer receiver.

Back