CX-5 USB errors.

RaceFan001

:
2013 CX-5 touring, 2003 MPV ES
My USB works fine with Iphones and Ipods, but when I try to use a Sandisk Sansa (a cool little wma/mp3 player that handles audiobooks well) all I get is a USB error message. Owners manual suggests contacting an authorized Mazda service centre. I seriously doubt they could help. Anyone have any bright ideas about firmware updates or any other workable solutions, or am I stuck with Apple products?

The manual (starting on p. 5-58) states that the USB connector can only be used with Apple products or with a USB drive (i.e. thumb drive or flash drive). To use a non-Apple MP3 or other audio player, you have to use the auxiliary jack with a mini-stereo plug and select "Aux" on your dash controls. You also can use bluetooth to stream music from most bluetooth-enabled cellphones. When I tested this, it worked but the volume was quite low (I didn't really try to fix it, as I was driving at the time). I have found that copying your tunes to a flash drive is a very convenient way to play them and you can keep it in the USB port all of the time, without having an extra device and cord sitting in your center console storage.

(band)

The manual (starting on p. 5-58) states that the USB connector can only be used with Apple products or with a USB drive (i.e. thumb drive or flash drive). To use a non-Apple MP3 or other audio player, you have to use the auxiliary jack with a mini-stereo plug and select "Aux" on your dash controls. You also can use bluetooth to stream music from most bluetooth-enabled cellphones. When I tested this, it worked but the volume was quite low (I didn't really try to fix it, as I was driving at the time). I have found that copying your tunes to a flash drive is a very convenient way to play them and you can keep it in the USB port all of the time, without having an extra device and cord sitting in your center console storage.

(band)

I second what Alacoyote said. Make sure your total nunber of mp3s doesn't pass 2000 total on the key. Limitation the head units has.

Thanks for the feedback. Am using the AUX input with the device, but while it sounds OK I cannot use the steering wheel or headunit controls for anything other than volume. Unfortunately I have to use a library program called Overdrive to download books that wont allow me to copy files to a flashdrive, but only to approved MP3 players or Ipods. While the Ipod works fine, it takes forever to download books that have to be converted V E R Y S L O O O O W L Y by Itunes. So I guess I am stuck with that.

I have only had my CX5 for a week. Love it for the most part. When my Iphone is synced with the bluetooth OR the audio jack the music speeds up dramatically at times; like an old big record on 45 speed - chipmunk voices, etc. This happens at crazy times, can't predict it; and when I have my headphones on and the phone not synced, the Iphone works fine. I have another car with bluetooth and this never happens on this other car. Anyone else?

I have found my iphone wont start playing tunes when synced with bluetooth. Screen on dash says playing but the counter stays at 0:00. About to update iphone ios to 5.1 to see if it fixes the problem.

So it has been over a month; my music from my Iphone STILL speeds up at random moments and is a ranting mess. Seriously no one else is having this issue? I have to disconnect it from docking mode, then let my phone play on its one for a couple lines and turn off the car stereo completely, then I turn the car stereo back on and it will sync it and sound fine. This is NOT easy to do while driving but I am getting better at it!

So it has been over a month; my music from my Iphone STILL speeds up at random moments and is a ranting mess. Seriously no one else is having this issue? I have to disconnect it from docking mode, then let my phone play on its one for a couple lines and turn off the car stereo completely, then I turn the car stereo back on and it will sync it and sound fine. This is NOT easy to do while driving but I am getting better at it!

My iPhone 4S with the latest update does this while paired through bluetooth. I have to switch off bluetooth and reconnect to fix it. Generally does this at least once every trip. I feel your frustration with this man. Does it do it through USB as well or have you tried?

I second what Alacoyote said. Make sure your total nunber of mp3s doesn't pass 2000 total on the key. Limitation the head units has.

2000? Really?

never had the speed up issue but i regularly have to pause and unpause the music to get it playing over bluetooth

I have the 4s and connect it through the USB with no issues. I wonder if it's a streaming issue with the bluetooth? Oh and I have over 3,000 songs and no problems. I hope it stays that way!

Mine does it synced and also via bluetooth....My Mazda dealer is looking into it. It also does it with books that are playing, music and also Pandora.

i really can't abide by it not being able to go back thru the tracks, once you've gone past one you can only go back to beginning of current song.....

guess how many times i've accidentally skipped tracks meaning to turn volume up a few notches?

Strom are you sure? On my test drives i think it behaved like my 3 with iPod adapter. First back went to start of the song, the second back (quickly after the first one) went to previous song.

Last edited:
Strom are you sure? On my test drives i think it behaved like my 3 with iPod adapter. First back went to start of the song, the second back (quickly after the first one) went to previous song.

absolutely positive, using my usb drive you cannot go back to a previous track
i'm glad they included the usb port support, but i really hate that they really didn't provide much support past that (playlists, selecting/searching by id3 tag info, going back to previous tracks) but apparently put in everything for the white hoodie iMafia....

I believe the Sansa has to be set to act like a USB thumb drive when connected to a USB port. I don't use mine anymore, can't recall what it was exactly but there is a setting for that. I'd say if you connect it to a PC and can browse it through USB with no software/driver installed it should work as USB.

absolutely positive, using my usb drive you cannot go back to a previous track
i'm glad they included the usb port support, but i really hate that they really didn't provide much support past that (playlists, selecting/searching by id3 tag info, going back to previous tracks) but apparently put in everything for the white hoodie iMafia....

I have a $20 32gb mini usb stick in mine and i can go forward and back with the wheel controls.

I sorted my music by folders with the top folder being the artist name and the ones below being the cd's but then I realized that the mazda looks at the folders individually not hierarchally. So now I renamed my folders "artistname-cdname" so I can scroll through the cds on the drive.

If you want a play list just create a folder on the drive with all the music in it that you want in your list. Not the most ideal but it works.

thats odd because mine most definitely doesn't scroll back in tracks...
guess i'll have to add one more thing to the litany of minor gripes when i go back to the dealer for its first service....

I have a $20 32gb mini usb stick in mine and i can go forward and back with the wheel controls.

I sorted my music by folders with the top folder being the artist name and the ones below being the cd's but then I realized that the mazda looks at the folders individually not hierarchally. So now I renamed my folders "artistname-cdname" so I can scroll through the cds on the drive.

If you want a play list just create a folder on the drive with all the music in it that you want in your list. Not the most ideal but it works.

well i figured out what the problem is, i've normalized all my files using mp3gain, and it apparently does something else to the files that makes the cx5 not like them, my wife just got her cx5 and she got a usb drive, threw her music on it and it backed up just fine, except on tracks she got from me, but her volume levels were all over the place, so we took some and normalized the levels with mp3gain, and now no more I<< function with them, but her songs were so out of wack she gave up being able to track back to not have to constantly adjust the volume from one song to the next...

went to the mp3gain forum on sourceforge and posted a question about it, see if there's a fix

Back