New Skyactiv Family!

PhoenixINX

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
To introduce ourselves, the wife and I are LONG time car enthusiasts owning a flood of various makes and models, perusing an embarassingly large amount of car forums.

Most recently after test driving both the first CX-5 demo our dealership received and a 3i, we were quick to ditch our not so old Infiniti M37x. The M drove nice, but was both overkill and a horrible gas hog. It was time we became more sensible, and did so by adopting Grand Touring twins :D

432237_3522123096052_1361332988_33438124_1770389904_n.jpg

There are a few quams I'm a bit disappointed with Mazda in withholding in the 3i model, but the CX-5 makes up for all of them.

What a GREAT small SUV!

Loaded down this evening with four passengers, to and from dinner, we averaged 35 mpg. A few nights back I was able to eek it up to 37.7 mpg over a 20 mile drive in town (minimal stop lights). We just cracked 100 miles on the odo today, so we're excited to see how she'll perform after a few thousand.

In case you're curious the 3i does fantastic as well, constantly knocking out 40+ mpg drives without even breaking a sweat. To note, I just broke 200 miles in it yesterday.

Well done Mazda, this engine is fantastic! Looking forward to this ownership experience!

Looking good! I almost got mine in White as well, but the wife preferred black. Oh well, as long as she's happy ;)

I too would love to have a 3 with SkyActiv but I can't get a GT in a manual! I am hesitant to spend money on new technology because I want them to get all the kinks out but so far it seems as if its flawless so its really making me think even harder and is itching me to pull the trigger.

Really nice shot side by side. The white used in the CX-5 is probably one of the best looking whites on the road.

Looking good! I almost got mine in White as well, but the wife preferred black. Oh well, as long as she's happy ;)

We've had dark cars... previously a black FX35 and most recently a midnight blue Q7. For daily driving, I'm not interested in keeping them clean anymore. :)

That said, the Tundra is black... No other color looked as mean!

I too would love to have a 3 with SkyActiv but I can't get a GT in a manual! I am hesitant to spend money on new technology because I want them to get all the kinks out but so far it seems as if its flawless so its really making me think even harder and is itching me to pull the trigger.

I'm typically with you on carefully choosing when to jump in regarding new technology, but this go around I took a risk. I'm with you preferring a manual, but I work on the road, and traffic jams are frequently place. I'm more disappointed by losing auto-climate and the advanced keyless.

The Mazda 3 lacks the auto-climate and keyless?

The keyless I would miss but I find auto-climate on my CX9 to be a pain. I hate the blower coming on full blast when starting the car in the summer and also whenever I start the front defroster. I wouldn't mind if there was a user option to limit the blower speed I suppose. Auto climate is also sometimes a bit confusing for passengers (front and rear). What's so hard about just setting the temp and blower speed by hand anyway?

The 3i yes, the 3s no... I test drove a 3s GT and loved those features.

I was an idiot to "assume" the 3i would get them as well. C'est la vie...

funny,

i am stuck. i have a 2010 mazdaspeed3, need to move to a more fuel friendly car. have a rx8 track car for fun.

well the i has the mileage, but not the features. the s gets the options and same mileage am my speed3. duh.

after you get used to keyless, auto air, and good sound. hard to go back..

my bet 2013 i gets it all.

beers

One month into ownership and we're still loving these twins... The CX-5 regularly gets a strong 35 mpg average, and the 3i just did a 800 mile round trip at 41 mpg.

Great job Mazda!

557143_3672851664172_1361332988_33508109_384512316_n.jpg

538650_3672854264237_1361332988_33508113_257687469_n.jpg

One month into ownership and we're still loving these twins... The CX-5 regularly gets a strong 35 mpg average, and the 3i just did a 800 mile round trip at 41 mpg.

Great job Mazda!
You must be driving 55 non stop :)

My CX-5 just finishes it's first tank and current reading says 27.8mpg. But I'm still happy - previous car was getting 14mpg in the same environment :)

My CX-5 just finishes it's first tank and current reading says 27.8mpg. But I'm still happy - previous car was getting 14mpg in the same environment :)

The CX-5 belongs to the wife, and she drives 70/30 (city/highway). Fortunately not stoplight to stoplight, with several roads just to cruise.

Using your example, we do have a restaurant about 10 miles away which we can flat plane 55 the whole way. Loaded down with four people this evening we did 38 mpg there, 41 mpg back (CX-5).

absolutely love it in white and I'm happy to hear you’re getting those mpg numbers

Thank you! Our last car was white, and we're in love with the pearl!

The CX-5 is at 550 miles tonight, so I'm curious how she'll do when it gets hotter out and mileage well over 1k.

that is incredible how you are getting MPG that is higher than what the manufacturer says, are you coasting or drafting behind someone each time?

FWD or AWD?

My 2012 Mazda3 Sport GS-Sky Manual is less than a week old. After plugging in some numbers into an online fuel converter it says I am getting 47.08 miles per Imperial gallon. (mixed city/highway - but mostly city)

Imagine how good the new Mazda 3 will be. The current only gets part of the Skyactiv treatment.

Nice photos of a couple Mazda's. Give us some feedback on comparing the driving experiences, now that you've done plenty of miles.

Back