very expensive insurance for CX-5?

keaberts

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 touring
Just wanted to share my experience thus far, as i am likely a soon to be CX-5 owner. went to the dealership today, inspected and test drove a CX-5 touring front wheel drive with the moonroof and BOSE package... the salesman knew i was somewhat serious about buying soon... but he pretty much told me to my face that they were going to low ball my trade and wouldn't come off MSRP of 25,800 but a few hundred dollars. (invoice is about 24,600). i didnt feel like getting into numbers at the moment because i had to be somewhere... but even if that is the case, i still plan on going back to tease the sales manager a bit :-] ...i would never pay MSRP for a car, i dont care if its a Lexus IS-F...

ANYWAYS...

a few questions... the window sticker claims the vehicle was equipped with a blind spot monitoring system, however i checked the vehicle UP and DOWN for radar sensors and could not find them anywhere. am i misunderstanding what exactly this is, or are they that good at hiding the sensors?

I called my insurance company, Allstate to get a quote on replacing my current vehicle, a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 25/50 coverage.. well first of all they didnt even have a CX-5 in their system, which was very surprising since the vehicle has been on sale for several weeks now.... she told me that because i plan to lease i would be required to have 100/300 coverage (OMG!) and because it is a brand new model and the cost to fix it is unknown, she quoted me at $50 more per month than what i am currently paying!! are you serious... its an IIHS top safety pick... also this will be (or may be) the first vehicle i have ever leased... does leasing always require more coverage than if you buy/finance a vehicle? or only certain insurance companies? or is the significant price jump because i am 22 and have a speeding ticket in the past 3 years?

are there any CX-5 owners on here that can give an example of what they are paying for insurance?

thanks for your help guys/gals!

<DELETE>

Not sure how this got posted into wrong thread.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada, so not sure how different it would be from the states, but I pay $815. I was paying $526 on my previous vehicle, a 2005 Honda Civic. I'm not complaining, however, 'cause I used to pay $2200 on my 2004 Mazda 3!!!

Dude fwiw, I just traded in my 7 for a 2, and Allstate just tried to tell me my insurance was going up 350 bucks a year. I couldn't believe it since my 7 was twice as mutch as my 2, with a 4 year age diff but still...

Anyway, I called them back after my initial call for the "are you sure?" call and they said yup.

Fast FW to yesterday and I have switched to State Farm for a savings of 450 a year for the same coverage.

To top it off when I called Allstate to cancel, they were suddenly able to save me $500 a year (after I had said how much I was saving by switching.) AND the guy tried to justify this savings by saying they never had my VIN right in the system because my car was too new (a '12 2?! Not even a first year run!!)

This is a policy from '74, they had their chance when I called them back the second time.

TL;DR: Allstate's computer system can not be trusted and don't be afraid to switch. Insurance companies don't really care how long you stay with them.

I would shop around quite a bit before settling on the insurance you have. I feel that they tend to take advantage of you the longer you are staying with them.

$50/mo more really isn't that bad in reality... you're going from an 12 year old Lexus... which millions are on the road/in salvage yards/massive parts availability... to a brand new CX-5... which has absolutely zero availability of parts, next to none in salvage yards for parts, and everything in that car is practically one off just for it(new SkyActive stuff, new body style entirely, etc).

If you look at the breakdown of your insurance... you'll probably find that it's not the bodily injury or property damage insurance that has gone up(I'm not sure, but would estimate they are similar to your old Lexus), but it's likely the comprehensive and collision insurance that have gone up... because your insurance company can't find a bumper and head lights from a salvage yard to use on your car to save money, and there are no aftermarket reproduction parts being produced yet, so they're forced to go straight to the dealer and buy headlights at $700/ea and a $600 bumper that still needs to be painted to match. Just pulling numbers out of my ass, but you get the idea.

FWIW I went from a 2007 Silverado Classic to a 2009 Mazda3... my insurance went up by about $20/mo with USAA. The property damage number actually went down, but the comprehensive and collision went up because by comparison, Chevy parts are so much cheaper when it comes to repairing cars.

I do not work with insurance or insurance companies, I'm a tech... and I get to see what it costs some customers when they have a brand new model vehicle and it needs a headlight. I remember a kid broke a headlamp in a Lincoln Navigator with HIDs shortly after those were available in those vehicles... it used to cost something silly like $1400 per side.

New stuff costs money... if you gotta have it, you gotta be ready to spend it. You pay a premium to be in the "me first" crowd.

edit: Also I 100% agree on shopping around for insurance, we actually saved like $700/yr by switching from Geico to USAA a few years ago. USAA is way way better to deal with as well.

I leased my CX-5. With 50/50 plus every add-on and a $500 deductible Amica got me for $152/mo. Amica said the car wasn't in their database so they based their quote off a CX-7.
MSRP was $30,470, they knocked it down to $29,900. Considering I equate this to asking for a discount on an iPad before its released (literally in my case) I'm happy :)

Last edited:
As others have noted, it depends on your insurer, location, claims history, etc. and a brand new model will almost always carry a higher premium. But our insurance barely went up. Our CX-5 GT replaced a 2008 Honda Fit and our premium only increased $11 a month with USAA.

And the blind spot warning indicators in the side mirrors are fabulous. They come on silently any time a vehicle is in your blind spot and if you turn on your signal as if you intend to move into that lane, a warning beep goes off.

are there any CX-5 owners on here that can give an example of what they are paying for insurance?

thanks for your help guys/gals!
Spent some time shopping around. My quotes will probably be off by much from yours unless you live in the Middle of nowhere, Iowa, but I have just paid around $40/month for my CX-5 in State Farm. Btw. it's only slightly more than I paid for my '99 Range Rover (~$35/month).

USAA is way way better to deal with as well.

USAA is IMO by far the best insurance company out there. They can charge less because there are fewer dirt bags and scam artists buying insurance from them. Anyone with any connection at all to the military, past or present (even a parent who served), is nuts for not checking out their rates. Service is top notch too.

I have state farm and was initially quoted the same as the cx9 this replaced. I got all the Ido in for the policy yesterday and the price is 25 bucks a month cheaper than the 2008 cx9 and about 5 bucks a month cheaper than my 2007 civic lx.

Insurance wasn't bad... we went from two cars to three, and our insurance only ticked up $200 a month.

`07 Audi Q7 & `11 Infiniti M37x to a `12 Tundra CM, `12 Mazda 3, & `13 Mazda CX-5

I'm with USAA, and they quoted me $62 extra per month to replace my '06 Mazda3 hatch with a CX-5. There goes the benefit I'd see with the fuel economy. Does anyone know if insurance would go down over time as insurance companies start to get more statistics about the CX-5, and cheaper parts become more readily available? $62 per month becomes $744 per year. Not an insignificant amount.

I'm with USAA, and they quoted me $62 extra per month to replace my '06 Mazda3 hatch with a CX-5. There goes the benefit I'd see with the fuel economy. Does anyone know if insurance would go down over time as insurance companies start to get more statistics about the CX-5, and cheaper parts become more readily available? $62 per month becomes $744 per year. Not an insignificant amount.

I'm not entirely sure... but assuming you wait 2 years for them to get out there and populate the used marketplace and a few get in wrecks and are salvaged, I'd bet that if you called up your insurance company and asked to lower your payments, you'd probably get it. They don't just usually lower your rate because they are feeling generous in my experience.

Insurance rates are a mystery to me. You replace '06 Mazda3 with CX-5 and they quote you _additional_ $62 a month. I added CX-5 to my policy and State Farm quoted me $39 a month. Not $39 more. $39 total a month for full coverage. If I were you I would spend 2h and seriously look around. I n my case the difference between '99 Range Rover (worth probably about $5k) and brand new CX-5 is $10/month. I do not expect it to go any lower anytime soon.

Insurance rates is definitely an arcane art, but I see from your info that you're from Iowa where the other poster is from Denver, CO. That could play a factor. Also, is probably another variable. When I first moved to my current location in the same area, just 15 miles west, my insurance went down because I was west of a certain street and was classified in a "safer" neighborhood.

I moved 7 miles away and my coverage went up $86 for six month period. I just emailed my Allstate agent and told him that I found a better rate with USAA. I only did a quick online quote through USAA, so I had no solid numbers. The Allstate agent basically called me out and didn't budge. I'll have to do some serious shopping around.

Back