2011 CX9 Touring Catalitic converter by pass

:
Mazda, CX9, Touring, 2011
Hi, Does anyone have a diagram of the exhaust system for a 2011 CX9 Touring? I want to look at by passing the catalitic converter. Has anyone done this to thier CX9? I am curious to see if there are two O2 sensors? And if there are two O2 sensors do I need to fake one out? Any help on this is much appreciated.
Thank you

there are 4 02 sensors. 1 each on the right hand and left hand exhaust manifold and 1 each on the right hand and left hand catalytic converter. As far as faking them out, dunno. my question is why? There is no benefit from bypassing them and you would get all kinds of CELs from the ECU and the vehicle would run like crap. I have removed cats completely on race cars I have built but we used stand alone engine management systems, not factory and the CX is no race car. On street cars I have built running headers and high flow cats, we retained the o2 sensors.

Im not too familiar with our engine. Though I would assume the engine management is similar to my BMW which is OBDII. The two O2 sensors right from the exhaust manifold help control the fuel/air ratio. (I wouldnt touch that) The O2 sensors after the cat monitor if the cats are working or not.

Heres a couple of bypasses you can do. Run an O2 sensor simulator which basically tells the computer that the cats are working properly = No CEL. (not sure if anybody makes this for our cars) The other is to install O2 sensor extenders. They basically extend the port of the O2 sensor. This should allow you to get readings in an acceptable range that your cats are working = No Cell. You can find these cheap on ebay.

Im in the process of running catless on my MZ3 and picked up some extenders on ebay. Removing the restrictive cats on my BMW should give me more power at high rpms. Though again like Jerry mentioned.why would you want to do this to your CX-9? Hey maybe Ill see you on the race track with your CX-9 :)

Thank you for the input. As to why, I was looking for way to increase my MPG and get a little more power. Now that I have investigated the CATs, thier location and the time and money involved, it makes absolutely no sense. I have looked int some tuner downloads, but I just don't understand how some aftermarket guys can come up with a better control software than Mazda?
Jerry, Z-thizzle Thanks for replying to my question.
Steve

Most after market software bypasses the reading of the down stream (2nd) o2 sensor as it reads temperature (in volts). higher temps result in more fuel being sent by the ECU. the software either ignores the reading from the 2nd o2 sensor or the programmer enters a permanent value into the software settings. There are other parameters entered into the software to eliminate lean conditions. The theory is less fuel being sent by the ECU, the better the MPG. I had my last car's ECU flashed, a Passat but it retained the second o2 sensor, just changed shiftpoints for the tranny and and moved the rev limiter up the rpm band. I also had an intake, intercooler and a cat back exhaust.

There is some tuner software out there for the Ford's using the duratec. Maybe you could research them. I have seen a turbo kit for the duratec in Fords. hmmmmmmm.

My brother-in-law went to a VW meet, where Upsolute tuning came out and flashed a bunch of ecu's on 1.8 turbo engines with custom programming. 50 more hp just like that.

I had a 1.8T in my Jetta wagon, sold it to my sister. Great car. My Passat was a 2.0T with Unitronic Stage 2 Flash, 260HP / 295LB-TQ in 15 minutes. Turbo motors are easy to tweek since the stock maps are very conservative. VW is unique for FWD, no torque steer. laser welded monocoque frame and heavy rear brake bias. It was a phenomenal car, we just needed more room and I was not about to get rid of my '00 Dodge Dakota Sport 4WD, so the Passat went. Also, my wife was jealous of the Passat since I loved it and the Dak was non threatening since she loves it too. Her theory is grown men should not go fast. I already have my eye on an Audi TT 1.8T coupe as a future project car, just need to find the right one.

Back