6mt

By what I was reading here in the US its going to be available in the Base and Sport but only front wheel drive..

I don't mind FWD only - can always put on snow tires. it just sucks not to be able to get a couple of simple options like the 40/20/40 split fold down seat.

By what I was reading here in the US its going to be available in the Base and Sport but only front wheel drive..

The Base is a Sport.

Looks as if the MT will only be offered in the 2WD Sport Model.
The AT will be available in 2WD and 4WD, in the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring.

I have always enjoyed the experience of driving, and shifting a MT.

My research shows that MT drivers only make up ~9-10% of the total US driving population, however ~40% of MAZDAS are MT.

If they offer MT, why not in touring trim? It'll generate more profit for them.

People nowadays don't buy MT to save money - they want to shift on their own, and MTs are more reliable.

its to keep the base price as low as possible to make it more attractive for those seeing "Starting at ..."

Mazda should offer the Manual in at least 2 of the 3 trims, the more selection the better

The Sport trim misses several other features - leather steering wheel and shift knob, which I guess could have after market parts. Still, Mazda 3 (5 dr) with Skyactiv has these features at the base trim (touring), and is $1,300 cheaper. (also has 6 speakers.)

I don't know - I guess I'll wait until the 3 gets a full design makeover.

Wonder if anyone has tested / seen a base 6Mt model?

I drove a base 6MT about a week and a half ago.

If I end up buying a CX-5, it's the model I will get. The 6MT is a really, really, really good manual transmission. It is not wrong to say that many sports cars have reason to be jealous of CX-5's manual. It is butter-smooth, yet also precise, with short throws.

As far as equipment goes, it has everything you really need, but no more than that. The interior looks nice and, unlike a lot of other vehicles, the exterior is not cheapened to make sure everyone around you knows that you're driving the base model. You still get dual exhaust, still get the spoiler, still get the same body cladding.

I notice that all CX-5 have a hill hold assist feature - that would be useful for the 6MT models.

My CRZ has a hill hold assist as well as an auto stop. It took me a while to get used to both of these features. Now I barely notice them. I'm hoping they will add interest to potential buyers when the time comes to sell in a few weeks.

I notice that all CX-5 have a hill hold assist feature - that would be useful for the 6MT models.

I've just moved to the auto after driving a manual for many, many years. I find the hill hold feature useful on an auto.
But manuals have fine control of exactly where you sit on a hill (it's easy to hold, or move back or forward at a precise speed). I think hill hold on the manual is just overkill (and possibly futile). The only time a hill hold function would be handy on a manual is when you're not yet familar with the car.

Last edited:
On the my old Honda with 5MT, the car really rolled back on a steep hill if I don't use the parking brake. Why don't the hill hold feature be useful?

I've just moved to the auto after driving a manual for many, many years. I find the hill hold feature useful on an auto.
But manuals have fine control of exactly where you sit on a hill (it's easy to hold, or move back or forward at a precise speed). I think hill hold on the manual is just overkill (and possibly futile). The only time a hill hold function would be handy on a manual is when you're not yet familar with the car.

When I first learned how to drive stick, I parked the car in a gas station parking lot that was on an incline. When I went to leave, I kept rolling forward and couldn't engage the reverse gear fast enough to get the car to move. Eventually, the gas station guy had to back it out for me. Lessons learned...I'm glad to say that I don't have that problem anymore.

When I first learned how to drive stick, I parked the car in a gas station parking lot that was on an incline. When I went to leave, I kept rolling forward and couldn't engage the reverse gear fast enough to get the car to move. Eventually, the gas station guy had to back it out for me. Lessons learned...I'm glad to say that I don't have that problem anymore.

I have mixed feelings about the hill hold assist. I'm used to not having it so it seems like it's not really needed and you lose a little feel/connection when starting on a slight hill. There is a brief pausewhen you start to press the gas pedal but before you start moving. I guess this was added to help make driving the MT less intimidating to new MT drivers. If it helps more people start to drive MT again, maybe it is a good thing though.

Back