CX-9 Towing question

blangford1

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 AWD Touring
I have a 2008 AWD CX-9 Touring that came without the towing package, and am wondering what i have to do to be able to tow a 2,500 lb. trailer.

Mazda states that the factory towing package comes with a transmission cooler, heavy duty fan and modified electronic module, but you can't buy these from Mazda.

Would adding a tranny cooler do the trick? If so, what one should it be? Do I need anything else? (other than a hitch and wiring?)

Thanks,
Bruce

I have a 2008 AWD CX-9 Touring that came without the towing package, and am wondering what i have to do to be able to tow a 2,500 lb. trailer.

Mazda states that the factory towing package comes with a transmission cooler, heavy duty fan and modified electronic module, but you can't buy these from Mazda.

Would adding a tranny cooler do the trick? If so, what one should it be? Do I need anything else? (other than a hitch and wiring?)

Thanks,
Bruce

The towing package is for 3500lb capacity so you should be ok for 2500 lbs without anything additional (just take it easy, if she starts to go in the red, just ease off).

"you can't buy these from Mazda" - yes you can. If a CX-9 with towing package gets into an accident, these parts can still be replaced. Call the parts department and tell them you have no idea what your vin# is, but that you got into an accident, and that your CX-9 has the towing package, they will then quote you the parts you want.

I would go oem on the transmission cooler, its not going to be but a couple dollars more than an aftermarket, if there is even an aftermarket alternative.
Regarding the radiator, there are likely a couple aftermarket alternatives for ones with towing packages (heavy duty radiator) or buy an oem heavy duty radiator, if you want.
Keystone Automotive (part of LKQ Corp.), 1-800-Radiator also makes aftermarket radiators.

The towing package is for 3500lb capacity so you should be ok for 2500 lbs without anything additional (just take it easy, if she starts to go in the red, just ease off).

"you can't buy these from Mazda" - yes you can. If a CX-9 with towing package gets into an accident, these parts can still be replaced. Call the parts department and tell them you have no idea what your vin# is, but that you got into an accident, and that your CX-9 has the towing package, they will then quote you the parts you want.

I would go oem on the transmission cooler, its not going to be but a couple dollars more than an aftermarket, if there is even an aftermarket alternative.
Regarding the radiator, there are likely a couple aftermarket alternatives for ones with towing packages (heavy duty radiator) or buy an oem heavy duty radiator, if you want.
Keystone Automotive (part of LKQ Corp.), 1-800-Radiator also makes aftermarket radiators.

I was looking into the same thing. Mazda dealer told me they don't offer a retrofit of the factory cooler. They recommended I go to aftermarket. I'm still wondering how difficult this job is to perform. I found a transmission shop that said "We can install a cooler on any transmission, our rate is 85.00 per hour." I wonder what this might entail.

When you say it goes into the red, what are you referring to? The owners manual doesn't show any indicator for transmission heat.

When you say it goes into the red, what are you referring to?

I think he meant the red zone of temp gauge.

If I have to choose one, I would say the transmission cooler is the utmost important among all
that come with the Tow Prep. You can monitor the coolant temp while towing.
However, transmission temp affects the lifespan of your transmission, the temp of which is
not visible to you. When it goes beyond the threshold, it kicks into a "limp mode". You have to
pull over and wait for it to cool down. The revision in electronics is just to counter fish-tailing.
Drive slower when towing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back