Grippy liner for the dashboard shelf

:
Mazda5 GT
Here's a quick 10-min DIY that adds a liner to the pocket in front of the passenger seat. Doing this virtually eliminates sliding of objects and arguably looks nice as well. A strip of black leather (easily available on ebay) would also work but would not have nearly the non-slip functionality.

attachment.php

Basic materials: anti-slip foam mesh (available locally at many stores), spray adhesive.
Tools: scissors, razor, straight edge

attachment.php

I started by cutting a piece of foam about an inch larger in each direction than needed. I started with the straight back edge, then I cut the curves with a scissors (took a number of trims to get it right). For the front edge, I used a razor and straight edge to get the front of the strip just right. To check the size I had the glovebox open and lined it up with the edge of the shelf.

For glueing, I really just wanted to tack it down. Spraying just the piece (outside of the car), I let it dry for a couple minutes and then carefully applied. I don't expect it will come loose, but at the same time if it needs to come out there shouldn't be any difficulty.

I certainly like the functionality, and it turns out I think it looks nice too. There are a few different types of this foam, so shop around and find one you like.

Enjoy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• materials.jpg
    materials.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 570
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 597
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 479
Would be good to do this to the little opening just aft of the shifter. My wife puts her phone in there, and it slides back and forth a bit. I plan to recycle a spare mouse pad for that area.

That looks great! But it looks like it may be hard to clean all the nooks and crannies. Also, I don't have this shelf on my '08, is this a design change? there was a thread referencing a Taiwan Mz5 site and they do some crazy stuff with that shelf. Can search for a threa about an exhaust in Taiwan. A lot of decked out Mz5 there.

Back