hat1018's build thread

hat1018

:
2003 Protege5, 2006 Mazda3, 2015 CX5
Ok guys, I thought it would be best to start a build thread. Actually right now it's a Q and A thread.
2003 Protege5, w/5spd, midnight blue met.
Bought Dec. 6, 2011
Anyway, my planned mods are lowering springs and struts (if needed), rear sway bar, exhaust (not sure what combo yet), cold air intake, and a short shifter kit w/weighted knob. Another possible mod would be an MP3 ecu or reflash.
Let the discussion begin.

If you stop by my thread feel free to make a comment.

Last edited:
I spent a bit of time on Ebay last night looking at spring sets. I am not sure why there has to be such a disparity in prices. $100-$220 is quite a gap. The $100 springs are M2 performance and claim the same drop as Tien S-Techs $190 and same spring rates. Anyone ever use the M2 springs, I have never heard of them. Another option is Megan Racing spring for $119 they claim more drop and higher spring rate (101lb more front and 85lb more rear) than S-Techs.

Hi Jeff. How ya been? I saw that FS thread but I am holding off until we get our tax money back before I buy anything. As far as the springs are concerned the M2 springs seem to be the same as Tein s-techs as far as spring rate goes and are about half the cost. Who knows right?

What type of spring do you guys think is best, linear or progressive spring rate? Since I will have full size people ride in the back seat from time to time and I don't want it to sag too much. So I guess my preference is linear but, I would like to get other peoples feed back.

It makes the shifts easier/quicker. Because of the weight you have to use less force.

How much weight are we talking about? Couple ounces? A lb or 2? Does it make that much of a difference?

Not sure of the exact weight difference. I can only hope some of the others that do have them can shed some light on this for both of us. Along with the short shifter, I know that the shifter "throw" is shortened but, from what I saw in my brief research is that the shifter rod is also shortened and I am not sure I like that idea.

some of the TWM knobs mweigh close to 1 pound. Love mine, have them in all three cars

Hey you knuckleheads! Don't just jump in here and say "I love my weighted shift knob" and leave! Why do you love it?

Rub-a-sub-dub. You'll love your P5, Larry. :)

I've never heard of M2 but I tend to stick with brand names that have been in the biz for a while. Especially Tein, they do a ton of research on their products and have racing history to back it up. So of course I'm going to say get the Tein's and Tokico HP's, again. I mean, once you buy a set of springs, you shouldn't need to upgrade or replace them. So to me, I would rather spend the extra cash on some quality parts then just slap them on and forget about them. But I understand money doesn't grow on trees.

I've got a TWM weighted shift knob (the little Type-R because of my lady hands) and a Kartboy short shifter. The weighted shift knob makes shifting easier from gear to gear, like perpetual motion. And the short shifter reduces the throw of the lever (and height too) to make shifts quicker and easier. I bought my shiter/knob combo the day after I bought my P5, I couldn't stand driving it with the truck shifter! lulz.

I have never heared of M2 either, but they have the exact same look and specs as Tien s-techs. Kinda makes me wonder are they copy cats or are they selling Tien's seconds. Half the money is tempting to me. I am in no hurry by any means. I know that S-techs and Tokicos are a very popular combo, it seems that everyone has them.

I forgot about the shifter, I know I want the motion decreased but I am not sure I want the shifter to be lower. Are there options for installing them?

Last edited:
yay new ohio build thread to follow!!!!!!! how do you feel about the eibach pro kit?

Last edited:
Back