It seems the US CX-5 will not get the BMW i-drive wheel that is coming to the UK CX-5

:
none
The wheel is talked about in recent UK reviews and is pictured in current and earlier images of the UK car but looking at the LA Show images the wheel is not where it should be (next to the shifter.) Damn shame even though the screen is touch, to have a close to your hand control wheel that has gotten great reviews would have been nice.

From the UK(I think?) Whatcar.com preview...

"Standard equipment should be generous, too. Trims are still being finalised, but Mazda expects all models in the line-up to have satellite-navigation as standard - part of a new infotainment system with a BMW iDrive-style controller - plus an extensive range of safety systems, including lane-departure warning and a blind-spot monitoring system."

http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/mazda-cx-5-review/260195

And here is a picture of the wheel (behind shifter) and no that's not the concept version-
2012-mazda-cx-5-2.jpg

Here's a picture of the us interior the wheel is replaced with cup holders-
http://autos.cpapi.aol.com/dl_image/download_image.php?
09-2013-mazda-cx-5-live.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-mazda-cx-5-2.jpg
    2012-mazda-cx-5-2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 282
americans need lots of cupholders for our fat-people McDonalds eating culture....

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the wheel since I have one on my Audi and it allows you to control stuff without even taking your eyes off the road. Maybe it will be an option on the GT trim.

The i-Drive style controller is also lacking from all Japanese and Australian brochures.
I doubt it's getting into many countries if even the highly spec Japanese models miss out.

the i-drive system should be added to the CX-7 and CX-9 beforehand. I know they won't be re-doing those two for a few years, but it should start higher up first

^ how do you like your CX-5 inodes

the i-drive system should be added to the CX-7 and CX-9 beforehand. I know they won't be re-doing those two for a few years, but it should start higher up first

^ how do you like your CX-5 inodes

Haven't received it yet unfortunately. Canada and US might not be getting diesel, but they are receiving shipments first. The first CX-5's to arrive in Australia are in 1st week of March (all petrol). I've already secured a diesel from the second ship though (2nd week of March).

Worth noting as well that the CX-7 is being discontinued in Australia. I'm fairly certain Hiroshima is also going to cease production.
Given dimensions (CX-5 slightly smaller), performance similar, fuel economy greatly improved and interior space being greater, the CX-5 is replacing CX-7 in Australia.

At present, the CX-7 Diesel is only available in manual in Australia. The introduction of the CX-5 Diesel in auto will ensure decent sales.
Personally I would have been happy to see a manual diesel CX-5, but they're not bringing one out.

I'll be sure to post photos when it arrives.

I'm hoping they will keep the CX-7, maybe making it a little bigger and more spacious. As for Canada and US, the diesel should be coming within the next year.

In to see your photos and slight review.

The i-Drive style controller is also lacking from all Japanese and Australian brochures.
I doubt it's getting into many countries if even the highly spec Japanese models miss out.
This is actually funny, because here you have to take this controller if you get the nav (the nav is not part of a package here and can be bought separately for 500 € extra). As the nav has a comfortable touch screen with which it is much more easy to type in your destination instead of doing so with the controller I thought it would be nicer to have two cup holders when driving to Dunkin' Donuts or elsewhere. (thought)

But now I'm glad to get that controller, because it is also very nice to browse through your i-Pods playlists with it.

Hi everyone ,
In my country (Belgium) if you order the base version (challenge) you don't have the I-drive wheel
(pic from the official site configurator)
486749challengemazda.jpg

But in all the other version ( active , sport ) you have the i-drive wheel
185075activemazda.jpg

I order one Cx-5 D 150cv 2.2 - 6MT - Active + confort & nav pack , I am so excited by the car , because it will be my first new car but i have to wait until september to receive it

ps: sorry for my bad english i am not a native english speacker

While its a cool feature I dont think I'd want to lose a front cup holder for it. I use them for not just drinks but to store stuff too.

Canadians and American like to have our Tim Hortons and Mcdonald's drinks while driving
if the driver uses one, the passenger wont get one

Fellow americans: don't worry. Having had similar interfaces in our previous BMW and Mini, I do not miss having an "i-drive" at all. The touchscreen is much more simple and faster to operate.

Back