WTB: Engine block heater for Protege5

boota

:
Mazda Protege5 ES Hatchback
Hi, I just bought used 2002 mazda protege5 and I lived in calgary buy my car didn't have block engine yet. Anyone have or know where to buy block engine please tell me. Thanks so much.

local dealer, or for probably less even with shipping onlinemazdaparts.com.
In my p5 I installed a car starter that has a timed mode to run it for 5 minutes every 3 hours since i only had enough money for either a starter or a block heater and i wanted my car to be warm in the mornings. Consider that option as a starter with a timer will run you about the same amount installed. there are also some newer models that only run when its below a certain temp.
I have yet to have my car not start even in alberta winters, except from a dead battery after being parked for 6 weeks when we had those epic snowstorms last winter (it was buried over the roof lol) but after a quick boost it was good to go.

Last edited:
local dealer, or for probably less even with shipping onlinemazdaparts.com.
In my p5 I installed a car starter that has a timed mode to run it for 5 minutes every 3 hours since i only had enough money for either a starter or a block heater and i wanted my car to be warm in the mornings. Consider that option as a starter with a timer will run you about the same amount installed. there are also some newer models that only run when its below a certain temp.
I have yet to have my car not start even in alberta winters, except from a dead battery after being parked for 6 weeks when we had those epic snowstorms last winter (it was buried over the roof lol) but after a quick boost it was good to go.

Nope - I went through this a few years ago, and Mazda no longer makes the engine block heaters for the Protege. Back then, there were only a handful in stock across the country (according to my local dealer), and I'm betting that there are even less now.

I ended up getting mine used from another member on here - you might also be resigned to use a universal pad-type heater instead.

just in case anyone else finds this thread, I found a block heater plug, made by Kat's (part 11411). they can be bought by mail order through various distributors in the USA for about 50$ plus shipping. unfortunately, the one I hoped to install will not work, as my mechanic tells me the core (or whatever the plug is installed into) is too rusted... bummer. now have to investigate other options... I have a heater pad stuck to the bottom of the engine, but it doesn't do the job particularly well when its really cold (I live in Calgary)
if anyone wants my frost plug, be in touch.

I wonder if something like this would work https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

just in case anyone else finds this thread, I found a block heater plug, made by Kat's (part 11411). they can be bought by mail order through various distributors in the USA for about 50$ plus shipping. unfortunately, the one I hoped to install will not work, as my mechanic tells me the core (or whatever the plug is installed into) is too rusted... bummer. now have to investigate other options... I have a heater pad stuck to the bottom of the engine, but it doesn't do the job particularly well when its really cold (I live in Calgary)
if anyone wants my frost plug, be in touch.

Back