All Wheel or Front Wheel Drive?

oclemon

:
Audi A4 Avant Quatrro
Heyo...
I'm thinking about buying a 2011 GT... was wondering what opinions had on AWD vs FWD. I lean a little towards the FWD because its quicker, cheaper, and more fuel efficient (in theory). I only deal with one or two real snow storms a year in Baltimore, so that doesn't seem like a huge factor. Any thoughts?

I dont know about quicker but I would go with AWD. I live in the mid west but may relocate to Atlanta and will still get the AWD. More stable and better traction all around.

unless you know you are going to go driving anywhere with dirt/bad roads, FWD is very sure footed year round. If you only do city/highway driving then AWD is not really needed.

I drove 3 hours away to get a FWD 9. AWD is slightly slower, heavier, gas mileage, and guaranteed to have added repair costs down the road. With that being said, having awd adds increased stability control should you wipe out and lose control of your car, but practicing good driving should aleviate this (a.k.a. driving slow on black ice, being aware of black ice i.e. water on mirror housing freezing).
Plus, seems all you can find out there is AWD, so FWD is uncommon, and later on if you want to sell, if someone is wanting only FWD, then asking price may not suffer as much when you go to sell it.

From Chicago and will always have AWD. Now if I lived in Phoenix, would not need it, but if I drove up to Flagstaff in the winter I would. Then again, I am old and learned to drie RWD in the snow and ice.

Back