2009 CX-9 Touring 2WD Surging during acceleration

tpn1997

:
2009 CX-9 Touring 2WD
I tried to search the forum for similar posts, but didn't quite find one that could address my question specifically. My CX-9 surges/lurches when I accelerate from a dead stop regardless of how much pressure I apply on the accelerator. Also, one of several things occur in this instance:

(A) the car revs up quickly to 2nd gear (regardless how slight or hard i accelerate, tried both ways) without accelerating (i.e. the car doesn't move accordingly); or
(B) when going from 1st to 2nd, the car seems to want to stall, but quickly accelerates to 3rd; or
(C) the car goes through 1st, 2nd without seeming to actually accelerate, but then "jumps" to 3rd.

The car operates well otherwise after 3rd gear. No issues when accelerating at high speeds (i.e. on freeway). Also, the surging is much more pronounced when the engine is cold. So when it first happened, I figured the cause was a cold engine, but it has been happening consistently even when the car is warm.

I've brought it to a Mazda dealer and unfortunately, I couldn't replicate the issue with the service manager. However, they did perform a diagnostic and still couldn't find anything. The car is fueled with Mobil 87 gas, oil is changed regularly, and there are no indicator lights coming on.

ceric, thanks for the info. i did some additional research on this and it seems to confirm your theory. at least i have something more specific to discuss when i bring it to the dealer.

My 2010 Touring FWD was surging while stopped, and occasionally the engine would die. It was most pronounced when I was in park with the A/C on full blast. The dealer initially said they couldn't reproduce the issue until they did that - then they could observe the wild swings in RPMs. They replaced the throttle body, no problems since.

Back