Break in period? Oil type and intervals...

DoxeyWeb

:
2011 CX-9 Touring
Picking up a 2011 CX9 today.

What do you recommend for break in period. (Miles before a long trip, etc..)

Type oil...(Dino, blend, full synthetic)
Intervals...(I always change @ 3,500miles...just checking)

How many miles before first oil / filter change?

Last question...This is my first Mazda. In the past i always use factory honda filters and parts..but buy online. Is there an good Mazda factory parts dealers online that you would recomment...buying filters in bulk, etc..

Thanks!

The answers to some of your questions are in the Owners' Manual.
Do you have one?
If not, go register at mymazda.com with your VIN.
Once done, you can download a PDF copy online.

For parts and accessories, I recommend
www.mazdaparts.org (a Mazda dealer)
Others might have other recommended sites.

Here is a copy of the 2008 CX-9 owners manual, it may have the information on break in period.
Oil has much been discussed on this forum.
3k intervals are a thing of the past.
I drove my Passat to 100k before selling it and intervals were 15k with mobile one fully synthetic advanced.
The engine was still like new after 100k of hard driving on a 5 speed.
It was everything else on the car that broke.
5k is a normal interval now.
I like Mobile One products myself, either a 5k oil or their fully synthetic 15k oil.
Don't take it to Instant oil change places, they spew oil all over your engine bay, use the cheapest oil they can, and who knows whats in those large drums of oil...bugs or other things? perhaps I am paranoid.
2008 Owners Manual

I have an 11 GT, and even though I did not need to, I changed the oil at 1.000 miles and on the next change, will switch over to a full synthetic and will change it every 6 months or 7500 miles.

Our BMW calls for an oil change every year or around 15.000 miles.

i think my sales guy suggested it was best to change at like 1500 miles, then you just follow your interval per the manual. 6 months or 7500 miles.

Nowsdays,
cylinders are all micro-finished and silicon-coated, changing 1st oil at 500 or 1000 miles
is not that critical anymore like in the old days.

Last edited:
Bought my 2010 CX9 GT AWD last May. Did the 1st change at 2k with Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter. 2nd oil change with Castrol Edge 5w-20 with K&N oil filter. Plan on changing every 5-7k.

Back