Conducted my first oil change.

My neighbor was giving me a hard time about taking it to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change because he is an executive at Ashland Oil / Valvoline. In the midst of giving him my reasons for always changing my own oil (i.e. doing it right, making sure there are no mistakes), I ended up pouring in all 6 quarts because I was distracted. Had to loose some out the oil pan to correct. Embarrasing!

I was happy with the fact that the oil filter is at the bottom of the engine and points straight down, but very unappy about the fact that the oilpan drain hole spews oil out horizontally while spitting a small stream straight down at the same time, rendering my oil collection container completely useless. Have to find something now that is of mammoth proportions to catch both the downward spew and horizontal spew. What a joke!

He gave you gruff for going there or NOT going there? I think you have a typo.

Never had a problem with self changes.......get one big enough to hold 10 quarts.

Wow, another oil change thread!!

As for home changes vs quick lube, it's a matter of cost for me. My company vehicle I change every 6000-7000 miles using Mobil1 at a quick lube place. Never had a problem in 24 years with either Mobil 1 or regular oil. I run these vehicles over 100k+ miles with no problems whatsoever.

My CX9 I do myself and save about $20.

Bottomline, if I'm paying for the change, I'll do it. Company pays, quick lube does it.

You probably can use a Fumoto valve...

+1 for the Fumoto Valve.
I installed the one with the fitting so I can attach a piece of tubing and direct the flow. It's a slower process because the oil takes longer to drain through the smaller diameter hole, but saves wear & tear on the pan, bolt, and driveway for those unexpected spills.

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It catches all the oil unless it is really windy.

I have a blitz also and I use a large trash bag, when I drain the oil from the bottom. However, this time I used my Mityvac Fluid Evacuator and pulled it out from on top. then I just changed my filter. and filled everything back up after the filter was re-installed. Used 5.6 quarts. Pretty easy, even though I still ran the Cx-9 up on my ramps.

Last edited:
I was happy with the fact that the oil filter is at the bottom of the engine and points straight down, but very unappy about the fact that the oilpan drain hole spews oil out horizontally while spitting a small stream straight down at the same time, rendering my oil collection container completely useless. Have to find something now that is of mammoth proportions to catch both the downward spew and horizontal spew. What a joke!

Why not pump it out from the dip-stick tube on top? I use this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

works great.

I like the idea of the fluid evacuator, however I would not be happy unless I took out the drain plug to make sure every drop was gone, which defeats the original idea of the evacuator, at least for me. I think for me, the fumoto valve looks like the best option, for one directional stream of oil.

I like the idea of the fluid evacuator, however I would not be happy unless I took out the drain plug to make sure every drop was gone, which defeats the original idea of the evacuator, at least for me. I think for me, the fumoto valve looks like the best option, for one directional stream of oil.

I have checked what the Fluid evacuator's leave in the crankcase and it is a very minimal amount. I also know that when I take my Benz in for service they use essentially the samething to get the oil out and then drop the filter. They almost never take the drain plug bolt out for an oil change.

hmmm.... maybe I need to start thinking about how to convince the boss a.k.a. wife to buy one of these.

they are really not very expensive at all. This is one of those "it suddenly showed up" kinda purchases. It makes the oil change pretty easy, and reduces your time on the ground (Getting the filter off and on only). Also if you over fill, you can suck it right out.

Last edited:
Back