Can a Craftsman 2 1/4 Ton Floor Jack be fixed?

4wardmotion

:
'08 CX-9 Sport AWD
I have this floor jack and it won't lift any weight. I assume the hydraulic jack mechanism is shot. Can they be repaired or is it not worth the trouble and expense? I'm not actually interested in repairing for my own use as it's really not large enough for the 9. It only lifts to about 14 1/2" and that's not tall enough for this vehicle.

If this is repairable, and anyone is interested in it that might live near me, you can have it. It looks almost brand new and comes in a plastic storage case. If it's 'toast'....it's going to the metal recycle bin.

There are o-rings inside the master cylinder that disintegrate over time. You can buy new ones at any auto store - just match them by the size. There's special jack oil, but I think any hydraulic fluid will work (ATF?).

Having said that, I had trouble getting the new oil into my jack (there's a special procedure on how to do this, but I can't find it now), so I ended up getting a new one.

Also, when not in use, I leave my release screws half-way open, I think that has positive effect on the o-rings, as both of my current jacks are about 8-10 years old, and I have no issues.

Back