Ordered new wheels ...

jayjoshjake

:
'10 CX 9 GT/AWD
Just wanted to share .. Lexani CVX-55 concave, 22x9 fronts et35 and 22x10.5 rears et40 with 265/35/22 in the front and 315/30/22 in the rear. I'll post pics once they're mounted. For all those who wants to know why I went with a staggered setup, I just wanted to do something different than a square setup. As far as staggering AWD vehicles and that your not supposed to, the car I had before this one was an AWD 530. X5's come staggered from factory as well.

lexanicvx55blkmach2.jpg

Here's a pic of how wide the rear tire is.

photo2.jpg

Staggered setup certainly looks cool. I had '98 BMW 540iA.
First mod I did was to move to 235/f 255/r from 225all.
The downside is tire rotation is out of the question.
Unfortunately, modern vehicles tend to wear outer edge at the front (due to turning), and inner edge
at the rear due to small negative camber (1 degree +/-). With wider tires, the same same 1 degree has
more severe impact on the inner wear. You can re-adjust the camber for wider tires to reduce uneven wear at the rear.

Another thing you will feel is reduction of MPG. I would bet on 10% hit, at least.
In your case, maybe up to 15% highway MPG. (i.e. 3mpg)

Other than those, enjoy the new setup. Post a pic if you can.

Yikes!! look out for potholes with those 35's, not much of an air cushion. I guess we know what you think about all the folks who complain that the stock gt's are too bumpy with their 245/50/20's. I just wrote an estimate today on an E350 AMG for some minor body damage and noticed all 4 wheels had visible flat spots; checked out the tires and observed 265/35/18. Of course all the wheels were also curbed, so the driver likely would not look out for potholes or drive carefully.

I think the extra cost comes with the territory of having a staggered setup.
Like I said, enjoy the fun as long as you know what is coming....

Thanks ... Fortunately for me, I work @ a wheel shop so there's no extra cost. I'll post pics when I get them next week.

Ceric - Why the reduction of gas mileage? My overall diameter on the 22's are actually just a tad lower then my stock 20's.

Yikes!! look out for potholes with those 35's, not much of an air cushion. I guess we know what you think about all the folks who complain that the stock gt's are too bumpy with their 245/50/20's. I just wrote an estimate today on an E350 AMG for some minor body damage and noticed all 4 wheels had visible flat spots; checked out the tires and observed 265/35/18. Of course all the wheels were also curbed, so the driver likely would not look out for potholes or drive carefully.

I have the 20's on my GT and I don't think they're rough @ all. Maybe I'm just used to it, most of the cars I've owned I've put wheels on with a low profile tire.

agreed, I think they're perfect, but it seems like people stray from the gt because they think the tires are too far from the buick they drove in on.

Thanks ... Fortunately for me, I work @ a wheel shop so there's no extra cost. I'll post pics when I get them next week.

Ceric - Why the reduction of gas mileage? My overall diameter on the 22's are actually just a tad lower then my stock 20's.

The obvious reason I can think of is the extra weight on the 22's

If it works on RX-8, I am sure the 9 should have no problem :)

Attachments

• rx_donk.jpg
    rx_donk.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 461
I'm gonna try 28" wheels. I have some thick rubber bands that I will stretch around them to keep the diameter the same, LOL!

Don't knock it till you try it .. Just because you don't want to put wheels on your CX-9 doesn't mean you can make fun of people that do. Everyone has their own thing about their cars, whether adding a hitch with a bike rack or adding a cargo rack on top. Me? I like wheels, I love wheels, I think it gives the car a certain uniqueness to it.

Last edited:
Back