Protege JDM cams question

M4Carbine

:
2002 Protege5
I searched but my searchfu might be weak. I am really thinking about getting the Mazdaspeed/JDM cam set for my P5 but its my daily driver and Im wondering how "streetable" the set is? The P5 has about 108,000 well taken care of miles on her and I dont want to get something that will lessen the reliability or comfortability of the car. I dont have any other engine mods except a cat-back. If I do get the cams, is there anything else needed or are they plug and play? Thanks.

Plug and play and they are basically replicas of an oem Mazda parts so 100% streetable

Hey M4, cams are very streetable. Cams for my '02 protege from corksport are on the way and me n my buddy did the cams on his MP5 last weekend. they sound all lumpy at idle and have a nice rumble too as well as plenty more power, you will enjoy. I suggest you get the MP3 computer from spicy orange on this forum, very nice addition.

as everyone said already, very streetable, plug and play, no valvetrain modifications needed and I did notice a slight roll in the exhaust at idle but nothing major.You will probably forget that they are there until you open it up a little...lol. But, Ive had my fun with them, it's time for me to upgrade to a custom set of 264's

We keep the camshafts in stock if you need to pick up a set.

-Derrick

assuming both intake and exhaust cams on an otherwise stock FS, something like 5-7whp...

So nothing major, but they do significantly change the curve, and make the engine breathe noticeably better at high rpm...so even if the recorded gains are mild, it does make the engine more fun to rev...if that makes any sense...

I bought a set from corksport back in like 2003 and installed them at the time on an otherwise completely stock FS...it was the very first performance mod I did, as I HATED the way the FS just face plants at 6000rpm...with them the engine cleanly pulls to redline and a few hundred rpm over...definitely worth it because of that for me at least...

still use that engine when not using the built FS, and have nearly 130,000 miles (about 100,000 of which have been with those cams)...no mechanical problems...

just a note: if you install these yourself...no matter what...replace the timing belt tensioner (and the belt itself if you haven't in a while, you have to remove it anyway)...just the process of loosening and re-tightening it will drastically reduce its life span...i've slipped so many of those I don't even want to talk about it...just use a brand new one...

Good advise. I actually plan on doing a waterpump and timing belt change here soon so I might just wait. As for the MP3 ecu, sadly I have an auto so that's a nogo for me :(

*UPDATE* Got those cams in from Corksport. The car wouldnt idle when it was warm, it would just putter out when i stopped. I found the idle screw on the throttle body and cranked it up a bit, to around 750rpm when its hot. It sounds cool when it idles but its not running properly.

The way i figure the new cams make the valves overlap (both intake and exhaust valves open at the same time) thats why they sounds lumpy at idle. These cams and the ECU arent really supposed to be together either, therefore not making as much powere as it should. Its still faster then it was so the cams did work, but I THINK adjustable cam gears would get them running 100%, bring them back into proper alignment with the crank....but im not really sure. Also maybe a fuel pressure regulator??

Any thoughts out there??

those cams are no where near an aggressive cam and pretty much almost stock, so the idle should not be lumpy at all. With these cams, you barely notice a difference in the idle.. are you sure your timing is right? maybe off by one tooth

Either your timing is right or you didn't shim them properly.

Wait, you DID shim them, didn't you? You can't just drop these ones in...

Maxx Mazda must speak from experiance. I called corksport and asked them the direct question "ARE THESE PLUG AND PLAY OR IS ANY OTHER STEP REQUIRED???" They said no speacial steps...

I definatly know the timing is done correctly 100%, did it myself (then had a mechanic check quick). If i can do timing on an aircraft engine i should hope to god i can hack it on a mazda protege.
So, tell me more about these shims I obviously have to mess with please, I would be forever greatful Maxx

Last edited:
In an engine with self adjusting hydraulic littered, the cams would be drop in. The protege uses a shim on bucket design, the shims need to be checked and replaced as nessicary. Search here and ye shall find.

If you check the clearance on the shims and find the clearances are ok I would look at the timing belt again.

-Derrick

The timing is bang-on, no doubt in my mind.
Am i basically resetting valve lash to factory tolarence?? where do i find such info, factory service manual? cuz i used the dierctions off the corksport site provided and there was nothing mention about bleeding lifters or resetting valve lash....??????

Back