2011 CX-9 Roof Rails, Splash Guards, and Hitch installation

jigeye

:
cx9
I am buying one of these new and the dealer is charging way too much to install the components in the title. Are these hard to do? Doesn't look like much to the roof rails. I'd like to hear from folks who have done this. I have good mechanical skills.
Also, will the parts for the 2010 CX-9 work for the 2011 model?
Where can I get a service manual for a 2011 CX-9?

I'm taking a guess at this: Roof Rails involve drilling holes in the roof panel, which means dropping the headliner. Splash Guards likely involve drilling holes in the fender liners and rear wheelhouse liners, because I don't think the oem liners have pre-drilled holes. The hitch I don't know about the wiring, but the rails do have pre drilled holes for the oem hitch, and the dealer just uses a hack saw or something and cuts out the middle of the lower bumper dam for the hitch to poke through. They usually don't do the best job of making the opening in the bumper nice and clean "oem" looking, at least not on mine. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Going Aftermarket hitch (CURT from Amazon 120 bucks delivered) with factory harness form Tascaparts $57 bucks. There are 6 pre-tapped holes in the frame for the hitch. The aftermarket hitch does not require any cutting of the bumper cover, and takes only 30 minutes to install. Splash guards should be pretty easy, remove tire, position and install.

Last edited:
You don't need to drill holes for Roof Rails.
There are 2 covers on each side rail. Remove them to expose screws.
I bought factory Roof Rails and it took me 15' to install.

2008 CX9 FWdrive. I have a hitch. I pulled the spare tire to have more working space. Trouble getting the hitch in place ... the dual exhaust covers! cant get those off. Thought about pulling the back plastic bumper off and then decided that was more trouble than it is worth. Did you guys have any trouble getting the hitch up in place for bolting............ 60+ little lady!

It is hard to install the hitch by yourself.
At least get a jack stand to help you hold it in place.

never-mind... I just finished up. Used a hammer and bent in the aluminum exhaust shield on one side. Managed to pound the hitch up into place. All bolts in and about to straighten out the aluminum shield, put the spare tire back up. I will do wiring on another day. hooray for little old ladies!

Jack stand... aw shoot! I just kept benchpressing til i could get one bolt in on one side to hold while I whammed away on the other. hehe. Thanks for the tip.

Back