Howto Request: Oil Change

DaleNixon

:
2001 Miata, 2011 Mazda 2
It would be nice if someone could share some info about oil changes for the 2011 Mazda 2 in the howto section.

First of all, what oil do you run and where do you get it? I believe the car calls for 0w20.

What's the oil capacity?

Torque specs for drain bolt/filter?

Is there an oil filter wrench available?

Is there a good place to buy oil filters and an oil filter wrench online? I'm looking to run Pennzoil Platinum if possible.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I think it would help the community as a lot of us are probably coming up on our first oil change.

I'm running Redline full synthetic 5W20 with no issues this winter with temp. between +4F and 50F. IIRC, the manual says 4.1 quarts with filter...so you'll need 5 quarts. You can pick up Mazda2 filters from some online dealers, my first filter was a Mobil 1 M108. (internal filter does not have a backflow check valve). I just finished my second oil change...I use the 7500 mile interval with synthetic ...'cause I'm anal.
Not sure of the filter wrench size...I used the cap type filter wrench which fit a Miata I used to own.

I'm probably going with NPN filters. I can order them from Amazon and they work great on my Miata. Or maybe K&N so I can use the nut.

Doesn't the car call for 0w20? I guess that would only be necessary for really cool climates, but I don't really want to stray from the manual too much. I run Redline 10w30 in my Miata, but I try not to start it up on super cold days.

I was thinking of putting Amsoil in for my next oil change, it extends the range to 10k miles and is supposed to the best out there (although Mobil1 is close). Anyone else use Amsoil and could tell me what they think of it?

I just did my first oil change using Mobil 1 0w20 full syn with Mobil 1 M-108 oil filter. I did buy the Mazda drain plug gasket and replaced the old one. The drain plug takes I believe a 19mm socket. I used 4 quarts and that was sufficient to mark the dip stick almost to the top mark. The original oil filter is slightly larger in diameter (~70mm) than the Mobil 1 filter which uses a 65/67mm filter cap wrench and it was on tight. The filter and drain plug is very easy to reach, without any obstacles to remove, you don't even have to lift the car to it either part. I just tighten the filter by hand then added a 1/4 turn with the filter wrench. The drain plug was tighten using a socket wrench with just a nice tug after the bolt was lightly tighten.

Mobil 1 was the only oil I could find that was 0W20. I bought it in the USA at Advanced Auto Part store near my home.

I'd like to change the title of this thread and put a summary of acceptable oil weights, oil capacity, parts to buy, and torque specs at the top. Can anyone assist me with that? Thanks!

I had mine changed at Oil Can Henry's. :(
I was in a hurry.
They only had 0-20 in Castrol Edge, so I used that, even though it cost a bundle.
I have no idea what kind of filter they use there. Maybe I'll call & ask today.

After some internetting it looks like Oil Can Henry's used an STP oil filter made by Champion Labs.
Sounds like it's a good-enough filter from what I read.

Last edited:
I just ordered a box of 5 filters and wrench and a case of penn plat 0w20. I don't see in the manual where it says 4.1 quarts. How much oil are you guys dumping into your cars? Thanks!

I just ordered a box of 5 filters and wrench and a case of penn plat 0w20. I don't see in the manual where it says 4.1 quarts. How much oil are you guys dumping into your cars? Thanks!

I just got my 10K change done at the dealer yesterday. I'll probably be doing it myself from here on out so I talked to the service manager when I noticed I was charged for 5 quarts. Mazda puts a little in the filter, then 4.5 in the motor.

Thanks MazdaTwo. I just found the capacities section in my manual. Now I feel like a dolt. It says 3.9L without oil filter replacement and 4.1L with. Not sure why they'd put 4.5 in the motor, but whatever it takes to get to the right level I guess!

I just got my 10K change done at the dealer yesterday. I'll probably be doing it myself from here on out so I talked to the service manager when I noticed I was charged for 5 quarts. Mazda puts a little in the filter, then 4.5 in the motor.

It only holds 4.1 quarts including the filter. If they charged for 5 quarts I guess they made a little extra money. Just tell them to put 4 in from now on; then buy your own bottle & add a bit after they get done if it's not at the perfect level. Then they have no excuse for charging for anything more than 4 quarts.

I'll probably be changing my own from now on. I was lazy & went to Oil Can Henry's. Got good oil, but they put a crap filter on. After talking to them some more it was a "Security" brand filter made by "Fram". I wiped small amounts of oil off of it 3 different times & figured that was enough. I bought a Wix filter & went back & had them change it out. So it cost me even more money. Sometimes I make really stupid financial decisions. :(

I've decided to go by the manual as far as maintenance is concerned with this car. I'm going to change the oil every 5k with Mobile 1. The Penn Plat 0w20 I ordered was backordered.

Question:

When I got my new filter installed I wiped oil off of the bottom of it 3 times. I thought the filter was faulty, so I put a new, more expensive filter on & I just wiped oil off of it also today.

I changed my girlfriend's oil last week on a Jeep Patriot & it had oil on the bottom of the filter also.

Is it just normal for a little oil to seep out?

It only holds 4.1 quarts including the filter. If they charged for 5 quarts I guess they made a little extra money. Just tell them to put 4 in from now on; then buy your own bottle & add a bit after they get done if it's not at the perfect level. Then they have no excuse for charging for anything more than 4 quarts.

I'll probably be changing my own from now on. I was lazy & went to Oil Can Henry's. Got good oil, but they put a crap filter on. After talking to them some more it was a "Security" brand filter made by "Fram". I wiped small amounts of oil off of it 3 different times & figured that was enough. I bought a Wix filter & went back & had them change it out. So it cost me even more money. Sometimes I make really stupid financial decisions. :(

Where does one buy a Wix oil filter. I've seen pics online and read about them, but when I hit up most of my local shops here in MD, I only see the standard brands like STP, Fram, K&N... maybe Mobile1... but I've never seen Wix.

Where does one buy a Wix oil filter. I've seen pics online and read about them, but when I hit up most of my local shops here in MD, I only see the standard brands like STP, Fram, K&N... maybe Mobile1... but I've never seen Wix.

I believe I got mine at Baxter Auto Parts. From what I hear Napa Gold is the exact same filter. You can order them online also.

Bump on this thread, I've got a 2011 that I'd like to start doing the oil changes on myself, but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before attempting anything. If anyone could even post pictures as to the location of the oil filter & drain plug relative to the underside of the car, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

I believe you'll see both if you just kneel down at the front bumper & look underneath. They are right there near the front easily accessible.

Back