CorkSport Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley

CorkSport

2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Authorized Vendor
:
All Mazdas!
We have a new part for the Mazda 2, an aluminum crankshaft pulley. It is 1.5 lbs lighter than stock. We kept the same diameter so there is no chasing down a specific belt size required for installation. The pulley is $149 and we have them on the shelf. A link to the part here is here

Mazda-2-Crankshaft-Pulley.jpg

I have been running the pulley on my 2 for several months now. You can notice the difference in how quick the engine revs.

-Derrick

Great to see CorkSport releasing new high quality performance parts for the Mazda2...(2thumbs)

We have a new part for the Mazda 2, an aluminum crankshaft pulley. It is 1.5 lbs lighter than stock. We kept the same diameter so there is no chasing down a specific belt size required for installation. The pulley is $149 and we have them on the shelf. A link to the part here is here

I have been running the pulley on my 2 for several months now. You can notice the difference in how quick the engine revs.

-Derrick

Think you can get a black anodized (I think thats what the blue is) one too?

We would have to do a batch of them in black which would require 10 people.

-Derrick

Why wait?

Why wait?

Because dealers are notorious about finding any excuse to void the warranty? Your transmission is bustificated? Must be that cold air intake you put on - sure signs of abuse. Your engine is all blowed up? Must be those aftermarket rims you put on the car - signs of abuse.

Work in a dealership for about 20 minutes and you'll discover that everything, including the water cooler, is a profit center. Warranty service, because of the rates the manufacturers pay, is anything but profitable for a dealership, and they are highly motivated to get everything the can not covered under the warranty and out of the consumer's pockets instead. Yes, there are laws that define that a dealer cannot blame things in this fashion, but they do anyway. They work on the theory that the average consumer is not as well versed in the laws as the people who post on messages boards as these are. And they are right to do so - the odds of success are in their favor. Don't believe what I am saying - sit in the lobby of your dealership some morning and watch the number of people happily paying $125 to have their oil changed and a "multi-point inspection" done on their cars...

EDIT - Bravo to CorkSport for coming up with a part like this, though. When my car comes out of warranty in not very long (I've put 11K miles on it in four months) I'll be buying one as well :)

^ lovemyrx7 works for a Mazda dealership. Can he give us any insight? I know when I had my Mazdaspeed3 I watched people get their warranties voided left and right for the most trivial of mods. I saw guys get voided WITH ONLY THE MAZDASPEED INTAKE. I love Mazda cars, but it seems you have to be very careful with modificiations if you want to retain your warranty. Maybe it's the economy's fault... who knows.

I also recall a local friend of mine with a Mazdaspeed had a transmission problem early on and the dealer denied him a loner car saying they discontinued that service. His GT had less than 10,000 miles on it at that point.

I still love Mazda, but their mod-unfriendly attitude scares me off from extensively modifying cars I still owe money on. Perhaps a REP can come in here and comment, but I doubt it.

It depends on the dealerships. I am taking my 2 into a dealer to get the stereo replaced and get the oil changed. They are fairly mod friendly from what we have seen in the past with some of the cars we have brought it. I will post up if I get any grief.

-Derrick

Thanks. I'd gladly do the lightweight pulley sooner if I wasn't afraid of Mazda dealer tactics.

I see you just released one for the MS3 as well. Cool! Does the stock pulley have a harmonic dampener? Does this pulley have a harmonic dampener?

That was my question...is the crank pulley also the harmonic balancer? (dealing with BMW engines, you replace the crank pulley at "your own risk", but I'm not that familiar with the 1.5 Mazda internals)

IMHO:

" I know when I had my Mazdaspeed3 I watched people get their warranties voided left and right for the most trivial of mods." Not legally in the U.S. unless there was a direct corrolation between the mod and the failure. For example a broken aftermarket radiator hose causes the motor to overheat and blow a head gasket is direct. They can't legally refuse to warranty a wheel bearing failure based on having an aftermarket radiator hose.

"I saw guys get voided WITH ONLY THE MAZDASPEED INTAKE" Isn't that, in effect, an OEM part? Unless incorrectly installed, the dealer wouldn't have a case.

A call to Mazda should get that straightened out. If not, State Attorney General or a letter from a lawyer.

Here is an excerpt from an article I just ran across:

"There are also warranty issues related to the installation of aftermarket products and/or services on a vehicle that is still under a new car warranty. Often people install aftermarket products for adding customizing features or they use certain services for vehicle maintenance. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act addresses such issues. This law states that if a customer installs an aftermarket product (it could be a fluid, filter, hard part, software...virtually anything that was not installed on or in the vehicle from the factory when it was new) and if the vehicle fails as a result of the installation or use of the aftermarket product/service, the carmaker cannot arbitrarily deny a warranty claim and/or void the new car warranty because of the installation or use of the aftermarket product, but must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the failure was indeed caused by the installation or use of the aftermarket product. The reason this law was put into place is because carmakers were arbitrarily voiding car warranties and refusing warranty service because the customer had installed an aftermarket products/services. Since there was no required burden of proof on the carmaker, consumers were hung out to dry. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act forced the carmaker to prove that the failure was due to the aftermarket product. The law still stands today within the U.S."

John

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on this today after speaking with my dealership and getting the 'OK' from them. In fact, they're even going to do the install for me!

+1 for Keiswetter Mazda in Kitchener, ON.

Just pulled the trigger on this today after speaking with my dealership and getting the 'OK' from them. In fact, they're even going to do the install for me!

+1 for Keiswetter Mazda in Kitchener, ON.

Just paint it black, they'd never know, lol.

I havea noob question. So having this lighter crankshaft pulley installed allows your car to rev much quicker... Okay but what does allowing your engine to rev faster mean? Better/worse gas mileage, faster acceleration? What dales it do for me when I drive it?

Back