Fixed my basket!

kofkof_00

:
2011 mazda 2
I have been trying to better locate the Yakima Basket case I purchased a while back.

With the help of a friend, some mild "dremmel" persuasion, I finally have the results I was looking for when I first got it!

6de7ea70.jpg

820396a7.jpg

8b2f5858.jpg

How did you do it?

I like the way you mounted the rack to go under cross bars for an "underslung" or low profile look. I have a Mazda 5 and want to do the same. I have the oem mazda 5 rack which are not aero style but instead a square bar. (I think it's the other Mazda 2 rack which are square and all black).

Wondering if you could describe what you mean "dremmel" persuasion? Pics would help a lot especially an up close look at the mounting points to the cross bars.

Would be eternally grateful if you could help me before I buy.

Thanks!

*start rant*

Well, let me start with the rack store were dinks, said it couldn't be done, refused to order the Yakima basket case on account that it wouldn't sell if it did not work for me.

I found it elsewhere. For cheaper. All they were good for was the snowboard shaped thule deflector, that they sold me for $50 on a no return condition. (Apparently, it also would not fit, according to them. Funny, it fit just fine.)

*end rant*

So the equipment list is as such:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gear-baskets/basketcase at $164 msrp. I got it for $80 used.

and http://www.yakima.com/shop/factorycrossbars/universal-mightymounts at $56 msrp ($49 I dunno, the guy looked like he eyeballed the price.

The 2 pics show where I dremmeled of a piece of the basketcase so that it would fit in between the bars. I suggest laying a blanket on your roof, and supplying beer to a buddy. We also had 3 step stools for test fitments. You may not have to cut, on account of it being a bigger car.

where it fits;

2beddde4.jpg

Where I cut:

652f3506.jpg

Some creative work on the center fastener for the thule deflector:

c05beea1.jpg

The universal mounts are listed as compatible with the square bar, sooooo might work. I hung the basket by it's floor, for lack of a better explanation.

b84f37c5.jpg

Thanks for the info! I think I may get away with using U bolts. I'll post when I am done (it may be awhile).

Back