Planing for the air-intake

M2Tim

:
Mazda 2 Fit for Fun
Hey guys. Im planning to edit my standart air-intake to get a few additional HP. So my plan is, to make a komplete new air-intake-hose by GRP to the airfilter (just as in the pic (1)), and polish the komplete inner of airfilterbox (2) and the box after the airfilter (3). Then put a normal K&N or Pipercross-filter in the OEM-airbox. I hope to improve the airflow rate and get 2-4Hp more. Now my question is: If i build the intake-hose just as in the picture, can it happen that water (rainwater) flow to the airfilter and penetrate it? and would this be a big problem? The next problem is the air-flow-meter. How will he deal with the new and better values?

Hope you can Help me.

Here is the pic of my plan:

I think you should be fine with the moisture. You would have to submerge your car to fill up the air intake and cause problems with water.

You could find someone who does ECU tunes for the custom intake.

-Derrick

Okey. So you mean water is not a big problem? My newest idea is ja flap (electronic controlled), which close the air intake (not complete) at the grille if i drive in heavy rain. But at the moment that is just a crazy idea. (stoned)

Hope I can find someone nearby me who can tune my ECU and test it on a Dyno. I want to see the 90HP (rockon)

According to the test we've done so far (we=members of the greek mazda2club)

*A simple aftermarket panel filter will not improove accelaration at all!Gives a bit better throttle response.

*The short ram intake will improve a lot the throttle response and gives better acceleration at 4th and 5th gear

*The long ram intake(filter behind the front left fog light) will also improve the throttle respnse and give better acceleration at 1st-2nd-3rd gear.

See the differences at these videos.The black car has short ram intake and catback exhaust while the white has long ram intake and catback exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNGVcIWqXc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig7YeFacRw&feature=related

The above setups are good but would be dangerous under heavy rain.
The best of both worlds is the BMC Dia or CDA.It is fully water proof(see my topic) and gives good power at mid and high rpm.A car with BMC CDA and catback exhaust gained 6hp.

In general,with stock ecu the car will not gain enough power from a tuned air intake.The maximum gain will be after the ecu tuning.

But the problem is, that its not allowed (in germany) to put a short or long ram intake in your car. So i just want to edit the original parts. Here is a link to a comparison of a german Ford forum.
1. dyno is the comarison between original an BMC
2. dyno is the comparison between original an modified filterbox
3. dyno is modified filterbox vs. K&N 57i with open bonnet
4. and 5. dyno - not important
6. dyno is K&N vs. K&N with CAI
7. and 8. dyno - not important
9. dyno is modified filterbox vs. BMC with CAI
10. dyno is modified filterbox with additional air vs. BMC with CAI
11. and 12. dyno - not important.

So i hope you understand the dynos and my plans for the modification. ;-)

CAI..

062.jpg

ive wanted to try and "edit" the original intake hole from the OEM one and direct it to the SRI i bought from corksport and possibly connect it to a cold box. but looking at that little tiny intake hole theres really not much room for air to get in (unless its purposely done to make sure rain doesnt get in?

but if anyone can confirm this as a good idea or bad? lol thanks

Back