This is the 2nd time CX-9 jerks/kicks going downhill

mrsdubose

:
Brilliant Black 2008 GT CX-9 FWD
This has happened twice so far. My husband was driving and we were coming to a stop sign. He went press the gas and it it felt like the car kicked/jerked (it was from the back tires). I didn't think anything of it because it was during the snow that hit SC so I thought we had went over an ice patch. The next time is when I am driving and the roads are great (no ice, maybe a little rain). I am slowing down for a yield sign and then i press the gas and feel the kick happen again (the yield sign is kind of on a downhill too). Is this due to our lead feet? Crappy OEM tires?? Inertia??? Has anyone had this happen before

I've had the same thing

On my daily commute: Relatively steep downhill to a stop sign, followed by a right turn. When I get off the brakes and on the gas while turning right I feel/hear a slight jolt which I think is coming from the rear. I drive this intersection every day and notice this about 10% of the time. It does not seem to be linked to any specific conditions such as wet/dry, slippery, cold/hot, etc.
My hunch has been that the AWD is a little confused. During acceleration the AWD system typically shifts more power to the rear. But when facing down a steep hill there isn't as much traction at the rear as there would be when on level ground or facing uphill. I've been assuming that the AWD starts transferring power to the rear and then quickly transfers it back to the front. Sometimes, depending on the conditions, the sudden shift of power to the rear and then back to the front could be responsible for the sound/feeling. I'm not sure that this is actually what is happening but it seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
On second thought

I see your CX-9 is FWD. So I guess it's something else.

Personally, I think that is just the transmission/torque converter at work.
The two events collide (gear downshifting, and gas pedal pressed).
ECU does not respond in the most smooth way....

I notice a lag sometimes with ours...if you don't come to a complete stop and go from the brake to the gas, it will jerk on occasion. I don't know if this is the same thing or not but that's what I have experienced.

Back