Quality Replacement Shocks

ABCarr

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Since the CX-9 is a relatively new vehicle, I'm not surprised by the lack of options in the aftermarket replacement shock area. So far, all I can find are the KYB's. Should we expect to see more "premium" shocks available in the future, possibly Bilstein or Koni? I can see that some of the higher-mileage CX-9's are needing replacements now.

I would consider it. I discovered a leaking rear shock at 35K miles. It is still there because I do not know what to replace it with. Shocks are hard to find for a CX9 any where, let alone in Europe of which they do not sell the 9.

I agree that the factory shocks/struts are decent, and the ride/handling is a cut above the competition. I'm not anywhere near needing to replace the OEM's. When the time comes for replacement, however, I hope there are some higher-end alternatives available.

I agree that the factory shocks/struts are decent, and the ride/handling is a cut above the competition. I'm not anywhere near needing to replace the OEM's. When the time comes for replacement, however, I hope there are some higher-end alternatives available.

Just be aware that "higher end" replacments are typically stiffer so it will possibly improve cornering but at the expense of the routine ride comfort.

Yeah I don't see the need to replace the factory shocks with aftermarket shocks. I did feel like my MS3 needed better aftermarket dampers but the CX-9 does a great job balancing handling with a taut and confortable ride. If your shock is leaking at 35K then I would get it replaced under warranty.

Like the Mz6 I believe it's KYB, which is why they appear to be the only company with replacements at this time.

Just be aware that "higher end" replacments are typically stiffer so it will possibly improve cornering but at the expense of the routine ride comfort.

I know what you're saying.....there's a very delicate balance involved here. In my younger days there was never a question...I would always opt for the most serious aftermarket shocks on my vehicles (Bilstein/Koni/HKS, etc.), which were often sports cars or sports sedans. A bone-jarring ride was of no consequence, as long as ultimate cornering was achieved. It seems that I may be reluctant to modify my thinking or acknowledge my aging bones, and the fact that my dear wife is the primary driver of this vehicle.

I know what you're saying.....there's a very delicate balance involved here. In my younger days there was never a question...I would always opt for the most serious aftermarket shocks on my vehicles (Bilstein/Koni/HKS, etc.), which were often sports cars or sports sedans. A bone-jarring ride was of no consequence, as long as ultimate cornering was achieved. It seems that I may be reluctant to modify my thinking or acknowledge my aging bones, and the fact that my dear wife is the primary driver of this vehicle.

If your wife is the primary driver you would be nuts to do anything that might make the car stiffer or less comfortable on the highway. That is asking for unending criticism and many nights on the couch.

Yeah I don't see the need to replace the factory shocks with aftermarket shocks. I did feel like my MS3 needed better aftermarket dampers but the CX-9 does a great job balancing handling with a taut and confortable ride. If your shock is leaking at 35K then I would get it replaced under warranty.

one of the reasons to change out the OEMs is that they have a high rate leaking oil. On my 9, the driver's side rear shock started leaking oil with less than 20k highway miles. Guess what.... Shocks are not covered under the mazda warranty.

Monroe makes struts and shocks for the CX-9. See their website. They are called OESPectrum.
I have a 2010 Touring and the rear shocks says "FoMoCo" on them. Which stands for Ford Motor Company.

Ouch FoMoCo spec'ed shocks, hmmm, I think I will definitely replace them if they fail with an aftermarket shock. I can handle the stiffer ride, as I do think that will increase the stability in turns.

Back