Radio recall

GR8SHAG

:
2011 mazda2 sport
Last night when I got off work I go out and start the 2 and the radio isnt working. The display is lit but no volume from the radio. After about a minute the volume comes on and everything is normal. It was below freezing and the car had been outside for about 8 and 1/2 hours.
Coincidence is a funny thing and the dealer calls today and tells me I can bring my car in for a new radio as I will be receiving a recall notice in the mail soon. I asked what the problem was and he tells me that they have been informed by Mazda that the radio can quit working during very cold temperatures!! He said we have not had any reports of the problem yet so I told him he did now and explained what happened to mine last night!!

My problem is I hate to think of them taking the dash apart to change the radio. It would be disappointing to end up with scratches or a rattle. Im tempted to just ask for the new stereo and to install it myself!

Glad to know it's not just me.

My radio has also not been working when it's cold out (<25 deg. F). I've resisted bringing it into the dealer because A: it will be damn near impossible to get the problem duplicated without leaving the car overnight; and B: I also have no desire to have the dealer tearing apart the inside of my car.

I work at a toyota dealer and my advice on recalls is to wait for about a month before bringing your car in for your radio to be replaced. this way the techs can have some practice switching radios and maybe have a system down that wont damage the surrounding dash. the more cars that come in before you means the better they will be at changing radios when you decided to bring your car in!

Good advice, the service tech said they had replaced the radios on all the other two's on the lot so hopefully they know what they are doing by now!!

I work at a toyota dealer and my advice on recalls is to wait for about a month before bringing your car in for your radio to be replaced. this way the techs can have some practice switching radios and maybe have a system down that wont damage the surrounding dash. the more cars that come in before you means the better they will be at changing radios when you decided to bring your car in!

Thanks for the advice on the radios.

BTW I love the limited edition Rx7 you have. I had one of those about 10 years ago, great car.

Thanks for the heads-up on the learning curve - I hadn't even considered that. Good idea. We just got the letter from Mazder the other day, so I'll schedule the appointment in a week or two.

Back