Drivetrain coastdown whining/ moaning?

Platinum GT

:
2007 CX-9 GT AWD, All Options
Our 2007 CX9 GT AWD with 41,000 mi. makes a whining/moaning sound only when coasting and totally out of the accelerator around 45-50 mph.
It can also be felt slightly in the shifter when it happens.
This is our second 2007 CX9 GT AWD and the other never made this noise.
Anyone else ever experience this?

Yeah it was AWD. I know it's not tires because it has done it for 2 sets. It sounds like a gear whine.

Yeah it was AWD. I know it's not tires because it has done it for 2 sets. It sounds like a gear whine.

Yep, sounds exactly like my issue. I need to get it into the dealer, my guess is that they will say it's normal (as they say about any issue I bring up). Let me know how you make out.

Will do. I have a feeling it's a transfer case issue. I'm going to bring it in this week.
It shows no other driveability issues though, so I'm hoping to get more than just a shrug-off.

I have same issue on 2008 GT AWD. Took to dealer. They observed the sound but could not provide an answer to my inquiry. Said everything looked normal. We just got back from drive to Miami from Indianapolis after they looked at it and no problems other than the sound. Vehicle has 57,000 miles. Did your dealership have anything to say about that issue?

My dealer had no explanation either. They said to just observe it and if it got worse to bring it back in. They said they would look deeper but I would have to pay for hourly diagnostics if it wasn't drive train related for warranty.

My dealer had no explanation either. They said to just observe it and if it got worse to bring it back in. They said they would look deeper but I would have to pay for hourly diagnostics if it wasn't drive train related for warranty.

That's about what I would expect from Mazda based on my experiences. I will update when I get ours in but I'm sure I'll get the same answer.

It is gear whine, but from the rear diff, not the PTO. Apply the E-brake very slightly, only enough to get the brake light on, and the noise should go away. The E-brake application disengages the rear drive coupling unit and takes the load off of the differential. You can also disconnect the connector on the coupling unit and do the same test. You will get the AWD light on with connector off, but the test is still valid. Dealers are idiots. Good Luck!

It is gear whine, but from the rear diff, not the PTO. Apply the E-brake very slightly, only enough to get the brake light on, and the noise should go away. The E-brake application disengages the rear drive coupling unit and takes the load off of the differential. You can also disconnect the connector on the coupling unit and do the same test. You will get the AWD light on with connector off, but the test is still valid. Dealers are idiots. Good Luck!

Thanks FORZDA1 for the tip, I will give it a try tomorrow. Assuming we can confirm it is gear whine, is this something that the dealer should cover under warranty? Is it a sign of premature wear?

A rear gear pinion pre-load whine was my initial thought. I've owned many older RWD vehicles so I'm familiar with the sound. Unfortunately, the sound in my case is undoubtedly coming from the front of the vehicle. Rear passengers can't hear the sound at all, plus it can be felt in the gear selector, which obviously isn't directly connected to the transaxle but apparently close enough to the source of the vibration. I'm taking back to the dealer for a more thorough inspection. I know what is wrong with it I just need to convince them so they'll cover it. :)

OK. I took my 2008 GT AWD back to the dealer to investigate the moaning sound. Vehicle had 58,000 miles and warranty ends at 60,000. I told service department that I find it unacceptable to just blow me off and say they here the noise but all is ok. If there is a noise, something is not right, I insisted that they have a certififed master technician look inyto this. They put vehicle up on lift and after disconnecting the transfer case and running the vehicle, they discovered that the noise went away, so obviously problem with transfer case. They got approval from Mazda to replace transfer case under the warranty. That was done Friday. They said the lubricant in the transfer case was thick and gooey and should not be. It is not a service item until 90,000 miles so problem was MOST DEFINATELY IN THE TRANSFER CASE. We have piut about 300 miles on since the replacement and have nogt heard the noise again. Vehicle runs great and quietly just like when it was new. I would suggest that you have them look at your CX-9 again, specifically with the transfer case.

Can this happen at slower speeds like when you are in third gear driving on side streets? This is something i have to look at then. Pls. let me know

A rear gear pinion pre-load whine was my initial thought. I've owned many older RWD vehicles so I'm familiar with the sound. Unfortunately, the sound in my case is undoubtedly coming from the front of the vehicle. Rear passengers can't hear the sound at all, plus it can be felt in the gear selector, which obviously isn't directly connected to the transaxle but apparently close enough to the source of the vibration. I'm taking back to the dealer for a more thorough inspection. I know what is wrong with it I just need to convince them so they'll cover it. :)

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I have a similar issue to a brand new 2011 AWD GT at about 35-40 MPH under light load with the car in 4th or 5th gear. It's a droning/moaning sound. And like you, I can slightly feel it in the gas pedal and the chassis. It feels a little like an exhaust issue/resonance. I could swear that it wasn't here when I got the car 5 months ago. This happens witht he RPMs around 1250 to 1750. I can also hear it in 6th gear at similar RPMs but at high speeds of course but it's much less noticeable. I have not brought it to the attention of the dealer yet but I will once I go in for an oil change. Thanks for you help.

Back