Mazdaspeed2: Turbo or Supercharger???

Mistersix

:
MAZDASPEED6
If Mazda were to make a MS2. What would you prefer?

Certainly, packaging and cost would be issues but for now lets just discuss preference.

For me, the linear power delivery of well designed super charger is appealing. Especially is such a small car. Strong torque threw out the power, and instant boost at any rpm.

super and turbo chargers are unique and good in their own ways, but I feel like turbos end up being better suited for smaller engines

Point being it takes a lot of power to make power when it comes to superchargers. It might be 100hp stock, and putting a supercharger on it might take 50hp to spin it, but make 150hp total. Problem with that is if you want to increase your boost/power you might not be able to add another charger with tighter tolerances. The stock engine would never be able to turn it.

Plus, superchargers are generally not as efficient as turbos. There is pretty much always boost with a charger, when a turbo needs engine load to produce boost. Probably why the cobalt sc gave way to the cobalt tc

Another option would be a procharger, which is essentially the all-rpm boost with relatively none of the parasitic loss naturally created with a supercharger. But I cant even think of a stock vehicle with a procharger

SC would be my choice. the car wont really be a speed demon, but when it comes to having power through all the turns, a turbo wouldnt be able to keep up i feel. the 2 would be an autox monster with a good SC and a few other mods.

I'm no expert but i can't imagine an engine losing 50hp just to turn a tiny supercharger.

You could use a really small twin scroll turbo. If that even exist. That would give you near instant boost.

I've been wondering if corksport is cooking up a turbo kit?

SC in a car that size, you would only really need to push about 180hp and then just beef up the suspension to make the 2 into a road class racer... I would buy one

I'd prefer a turbo with an engine / car that small. A bit of turbo lag at launch can actually help you keep the tread on your tires longer, then kick you in the back after you've gained a little speed. Nestle a nice S/C in the "V" of a V8 RWD car, or stick a T/C on a sweet little I4 FWD. That's just my preference. The car companies are trending back towards T/Cs due to efficiency, where S/Cs are becoming an endangered species.

A better designed turbo than the speed 3's would be perfect. The way technology is going, turbochargers are more efficient in almost every way. Just has some lag. Just be patient for a half second, and the benefits far outweigh a s/c. If you are into a whine, more power to you. But I don't want sound to show off or because I "like it." Performance and efficiency sound much better to me, than a noise coming from a motor.

Supercharger. Drove a Mini with a supercharger and enjoyed it. Low end torque on a small, light car would make a fun AutoX car.

My only experience with turbocharger was some time ago. Building and keeping revs witha turbocharger is similar to a 'race' cam. Very peaky and difficult to use unless you are just winding it out on the highway.

Les

yeah i've also driven a mini supercharged. i seriously prefered it over some of the turbo'd cars i've driven. with that being such a small car and with the gears, it was a ton of fun no matter what rpm you were at. yes i know you can get a turbo to hit full boost at like 2500rpm or so but the difference is just that much more. especially when being able to use the power no matter what part of the turn you're in and you dont get the all of a sudden kick like a turbo gives you making your tires spin and you slide just a tad.

When I Start my MS2 proyect, my initial plan was install a small Supercharger but for space problem the only way to do that is with a new intake manifold, so I forgot that idea.

Actualy with the turbo have a good response. start boost at 1800 rpm and 8psi at 3000 rpm.

I'm realy happy with my MS2, and now I'm looking for more power. That is the advantage of the Turbocharger (always want more)

by the moment I have to save money for a aluminum intake manifold that can hold more than 10psi, and wait for a better aftermarket Clutch.

In this moment the proyect is improve the brake system, with drilled 4 wheel disc brake
I will post the photos when it's done

MS2 from Panama

Last edited:
Back