Should I take it to Honda or Mazda dealership

mrsdubose

:
Brilliant Black 2008 GT CX-9 FWD
We are picking up our used 08 GT today fully loaded from Carmax today. We will then be taking it to a Mazda dealership to get an independent inspection for 50 bucks while under Carmax 5 Day Money Back guarantee. However, I expect no problems, it is an 08 under 23000 and I have checked the service records. The owners were meticulous about service. My question is should I continue to take it back to a Mazda Dealership (never been to and over 30 miles away) or take it to a Honda dealership (we have built up a personal relationship with the staff because we also own a 97 Honda Accord and it is like 5 minutes away). Will their technician be knowledgeable about Mazdas?

We are getting an 6 extended warranty/100000 for $1530 through Mazda MEPP (TOTAL CAR PACKAGE). Going to a non-Mazda dealer does not VOID the warranty does it?

No guarantee that Honda would know how to service a Mazda

We are picking up our used 08 GT today fully loaded from Carmax today. We will then be taking it to a Mazda dealership to get an independent inspection for 50 bucks while under Carmax 5 Day Money Back guarantee. However, I expect no problems, it is an 08 under 23000 and I have checked the service records. The owners were meticulous about service. My question is should I continue to take it back to a Mazda Dealership (never been to and over 30 miles away) or take it to a Honda dealership (we have built up a personal relationship with the staff because we also own a 97 Honda Accord and it is like 5 minutes away). Will their technician be knowledgeable about Mazdas?

We are getting an 6 extended warranty/100000 for $1530 through Mazda MEPP (TOTAL CAR PACKAGE). Going to a non-Mazda dealer does not VOID the warranty does it?

Chances are they could do oil changes but no guarantee they can get a hold of parts or would honor the warranty. My Mazda Dealer actually has techs who are well versed in Toyota and Hondas. There is a chance that maybe your Honda Dealer has a ex-Mazda tech on staff? Personally I would take it to Mazda, but that's me. Taking it to a Mazda dealer is the best way to limit headaches in case something major breaks. Although your Honda dealership is probably honest you never know how they would react if they accidentally damaged something while trying to repair it. They probably won't say no to servicing the Mazda and turn away business, but then again would they know HOW to service it.

Bottom line it is a risk.

Thanks Antonio..I knew it but just had to hear it...Though it is farther away, I know it is the best choice hopefully every 6 months or 5,000 miles..

For regular maintenance, as long as they have the correct parts and fluids, I don't see any reason why not.
If indie shops (ASE certified) can do that, Honda tech should be certified already.
(you may provide the parts such as filters if they don't have them)

For more complex maintenance, the Honda tech might lack the knowledge of how to do it properly.
He might break something in the process (it is risk, really).

For recalls or repairs, definitely go to a Mazda dealer. This probably won't happen very often.

Back